Anyone believe in the end of the world?

Well, I can say with absolute certainty that my bank definitely does not believe the world will be coming to an end anytime soon. They expect me to keep making mortgage payments for a long time to come yet!

• Like 1

I don't believe the world will end, but regardless, I think December 21st is going to be very interesting and in true schadenfreude form I look forward to seeing how worked up people get about it.

Not that I think an apocalypse would necessarily be a bad thing. It would definitely make our last few days on earth very interesting.

apocalypse.jpg

Nope ... the world won't come to an end.... I have too many things to do and people to see :)

Besides December 21st is my Grandpa's birthday so not a good day to end the world....they would have to pick a different one ;)

Any excuse for a party is a good one! But I don't think the world will really end, then. I think the apocalypse is more a theological issue than a physical one.

Besides, my doctor does a lot of work in Guatemala, with the indigenous Maya there. She says that they're publishing calendars for 2013 and are generally amused by the kerfuffle about the world ending in December.

• Like 1

Any excuse for a party is a good one! But I don't think the world will really end, then. I think the apocalypse is more a theological issue than a physical one.

Besides, my doctor does a lot of work in Guatemala, with the indigenous Maya there. She says that they're publishing calendars for 2013 and are generally amused by the kerfuffle about the world ending in December.

Great idea Sam !!!! An apocolypse party ! I will talk to Old Dog....perhaps we could host it at the Fat Bastard BBM lodge.... needs a little sprucing up....been a little quiet lately ....fire up the hot tub in the back of the pickup truck and stuff :D Such a special occasion we could even dig a new hole for the outhouse !!!!!!! ;)

I don't believe the world will end, but regardless, I think December 21st is going to be very interesting and in true schadenfreude form I look forward to seeing how worked up people get about it.

Not that I think an apocalypse would necessarily be a bad thing. It would definitely make our last few days on earth very interesting.

apocalypse.jpg

Dammit... schadenfreude was the word that I was going to use!!!!

I will have to compensate by saying that the euphoria of the end of the world might indeed vindicate the beliefs of some - a mudita of sorts.

As for me... I think that we have a better chance of a zombie apocalypse....

I'm going to be in a truck like this having a party and singing "It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine".....Hahaha. Who wants to join me in the end of the world truck? Oh yeah, what happened to those bible thumpers when Judgement Day came and went?

family-radio-judgment-bus-may-21-2011-300x225.jpg

The ROM (museum) in Toronto had an exhibit about the Mayans. Apparently, the calender does not end Dec. 21, 2012... it just keeps on going, its not even a particular important part of the sequence, just the beginning of the next part of the sequence.

What I'm hoping is that when this event doesn't occur, that people finally give up these notions of prophesy and doomsday... and maybe take human made preventable problems more seriously (e.g., global warming, polution, extinction of wildlife etc.).

also from Wikipedia.

Despite the publicity generated by the 2012 date, Susan Milbrath, curator of Latin American Art and Archaeology at the Florida Museum of Natural History, stated that "We have no record or knowledge that [the Maya] would think the world would come to an end" in 2012.[37] "For the ancient Maya, it was a huge celebration to make it to the end of a whole cycle," says Sandra Noble, executive director of the Foundation for the Advancement of Mesoamerican Studies in Crystal River, Florida. To render December 21, 2012, as a doomsday event or moment of cosmic shifting, she says, is "a complete fabrication and a chance for a lot of people to cash in."[37] "There will be another cycle," says E. Wyllys Andrews V, director of the Tulane University Middle American Research Institute (MARI). "We know the Maya thought there was one before this, and that implies they were comfortable with the idea of another one after this."

• Like 1

If the world does end on December 12th, we'll all be dead so we won't know any better. So does it really matter then?

But I think a party is in order the evening before...just in case.

I will bump this thread at 12:01 a.m. on December 12th...maybe.

As I understand it the Maya calendar does not take into account leap years so subtratcing out all the extra days we had added since leap years were introduced we have already passed the doomsday day. Welcome to the afterlife :)

I'm sure there will be ways for people to somehow exploit this day for money. I for one am looking forward to see what innovative methods people are going to come up with

I'm sure there will be ways for people to somehow exploit this day for money. I for one am looking forward to see what innovative methods people are going to come up with

I've always thought it would be smart to find some people who are absolutely certain the world will end on December 21st, and offer to buy their houses from them a few days before the 21st for, say, $5,000. Enough time for them to enjoy the money and think you're wasting your money. Then on December 22nd... PROFIT!

• Like 1

I've always thought it would be smart to find some people who are absolutely certain the world will end on December 21st, and offer to buy their houses from them a few days before the 21st for, say, $5,000. Enough time for them to enjoy the money and think you're wasting your money. Then on December 22nd... PROFIT!

I've got a house I don't want and can sell you at that price! Of course being the honest person I am I have to warn you it's only worth about $5000.

Ok, yeah, the world probably, maybe, might not, end on December 21st, 2012 but it's a hell of a good excuse to have a hell of a party! And then again on the 31st to ring in the new year, oh yeah, right, only if that comes because the world didn't end :)

Isn't it funny how everybody obsesses about the end of the world, and never just the end of our species?

It's like when I was jumping, and there was a weekend that, for whatever reason, I couldn't go to the drop zone. I'll confess that, in some little squeaky black corner of my heart, I was wishing it would rain and be socked in all weekend. IKR? That's so small. But somehow, when it was crappy all weekend the weekend I couldn't make it, it somehow made my missing it easier to take.

Maybe, as a species, we're like that too. If we can't go on, dammit, we want the whole freaking planet and everything on it blown to hell. How rude it would be if it all just went on without us, and the traces of our colossal choices faded quickly from view!

Sometimes I tune-in to History Channel for "The Nostradamus Effect" and "Ancient Aliens", some researchers and authors share their thoughts and theories.

It's quite interesting. But no, I don't believe the world will end in 2012.

Morally - The World has ended. Ages ago. :(

Physically - The Earth will be here long past humans. :shock:

Musically - It's the end of the World as we know it lalalalala :vl:

Blind Faith - One can only hope the World might end, and no proof needed. Just believe me... and send a cheque for all your $$$ to me @ 'End of the World Ministries': for any moron who needs safety from their own ignorance. :confused0024:

Sexually - One should ALWAYS make Love like it's going to be the last time, and the end of the World, anyways! :hump:

Boobs! Regardless of the World ending, Boobs will last an eternity :boobies: Motor-on fellow boat enthusiasts! ;) Motor on!!

• Like 1

Yes, we are really looking forward to the "End of the World" party in the Caribbean.

http://www.december212012.com

If you watch the documentary on History Channel "Startling new secrets" (the whole thing which I couldn't find online, just the first 10 minutes or so is online) it gets pretty scary but I'm still not a believer :)

There are now countless documentaries, movies and websites that point to this date as significant.

Of course none of us thinks the world will really end on December 21st but it's a good excuse to gather in the warm Caribbean climate, exchange ideas and knowledge, plan our trades for the coming year, swim in the ocean and the pools, ride horseback through the jungle, socialize, celebrate and party hardy at an all-inclusive resort, lots of off resort excursions planned as well. As we have so many coming I was able to negotiate a lucrative group rate for trip cancellation (with a medical certificate) and medical insurance for all. We have at least 18 confirmed with non-cancelable reservations from all over the world (but mostly North America) before the group rate cutoff deadline. Anyone else is welcome but they have to manage their own reservations and insurance. Everyone is to bring an FMS/GRMS radio. One member of the group is a radio announcer by previous profession so he has agreed to broadcast a standard message announcing events and arrivals for 5 minutes every hour on the hour during daytime hours. Outside of that the "squawk box" channel will be used by anyone for impromptu invitations (e.g. ForEx traders gathering at the "La Plaza" bar on the beach, come join us if you like, etc.). A few are coming from Europe and have indicated trouble locating such a two-way radio so I picked up enough to supply them with one on eBay :) So we have the 18th - 21st, after that the group will start to reduce in size as many people have children and family and can't blow up their Christmas but some are staying for Christmas. We have a list of "rules" everyone has agreed to follow (not allowed to discuss or disclose the size of your portfolio, etc.) so everyone will be an equal. I'm sure there will be some heated debates and discussions but they must remain civilized and friendly and of course that is what it is all about. For some of the more organized meetings we will be using an authentic aboriginal democracy " Talking Stick" method :)

I will be staying well past New Years and well into the new year (if the world doesn't end :)