Anyone believe in the end of the world?

First, if it does then i was way to slow to make my fantasy/dreams come true! :)

Secondly no I do not believe it. I met a Mayan Elder last year who said it just means the start of something new (aka ran out of wall space) :)

The end of the world gets scheduled every couple of years -- remember Harold Camping's predictions for May 21st, then for October 21st of last year. There always seems to be someone saying the end is night (a bit like those cartoons of the guy with the long beard and tunic walking with a sign).

December 21st is just a "year 99" date, there's three more "digits" to the calendar, the biggest one representing 63 million years each, and it goes up to 20 (i.e.: the long count calendar won't flip over for another 1.3 billion years or so).

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_calendar

I like to put the end of the world about 5 billion years away, when the sun will expand and burn out the earth.

In the meanwhile, it's business as usual and that means making the most out of our short time on this planet.

Guest *ig*a**

If there was hockey and The Leafs won the Stanley Cup, that would be the end of the world lol.

I am going to throw an "end of the world" party on Dec. 21st. May as well have a good time on the way out, if that's that's the way it's going to be.

If not, still had a pre-xmas party.

Anyone care to join me?

• Like 1

Someone smart pointed out that for people who could supposedly foresee the end of the world, the Mayans couldn't see the end of ... the Mayans!

Guest S**a*Q

Wait... Here's my theory that debunks the end of the world happening on Dec 12, 2012.

Wouldn't leap year days have affected the Dec 21st 2012 date? The Mayans never had those, it was something added later in the calendar years.

Sooo technically, the end of the world should've already happened.

BUT WAIT!!! All is not alright in crazyland...

I'm afraid for the "Jesus take the wheel day"

--(Yes, this insanity is actually a thing...)

https://www.facebook.com/events/102311426566161/

STAY OFF THE ROADS ON MARCH 31st 2013, there'll be a lot of messed-up bible thumpers putting their lives (and ours) in the hands of Jebus, who doesn't have a license, if I remember my catholicism correctly.

Well, as expected turns out nobody here at the party believes the world will end on December 21 however there have been cases of the media scaring little children (shame on them). As it has turned out, it was one of the best ideas myself and my associates collectively ever came up with (if the world doesn't end), everything from the weather to the the great ideas we have come up with and information and knowledge we are sharing with is perfect.

Seasons greetings and very kindest regards to CERBies where ever they may be from the Caribbean.

BackRubMan

Guest S****r

December 21st is going to be a WONDERFUL day of change in MY life!

And the beginning of something really good!

Well when I started this thread I never expected the world was going to end. But here I am in the Caribbean as planned, the weather has been outstanding which actually (honestly) makes me feel a little guilty for all those folk with the big snow storm.

We had a hell of a nice party and lots of time to talk shop, exchanging knowledge and ideas for the coming year.

All in all it has been the most successful "End of the World" we shall ever live to see.

Seasons greetings and kindest regards to all CERBies where ever they may be!

Yup. Looks like we carry on as expected: we've got 4 billion years 'til life ends on Earth when all the water has boiled away, and another 3.5 billion years after that 'til the planet gets absorbed by the Sun.

Nothing to do but settle in for the long wait...! And hopefully find another home along the way, for whoever and whatever our descendants are in a few billion years.

I'm still waiting...those fucking Mayan's, I was looking forward to this!!!! LOL

I'll grant you, I was kind of curious to see how this would go if it really happened.

Would the end of the world run on Greenwich Mean Time? Would it start a fraction of a second after Midnight in any given point on Earth... maybe a giant catastrophe first bisecting the UK, and sweeping steadily westward in a giant line stretching from pole to pole? An enormous chasm, consuming Ireland as an appetizer and then draining the Atlantic with a globe-spanning waterfall. Then we'd all get to watch for a few hours at it traveled steadily toward us from the east, until the chasm's leading edge finally snacked on Newfoundland before getting down to the serious business of feasting on the North and South American continents.

It would certainly have been a grand spectacle.

It was fun talking about it...hearing everyone's thoughts on the subject...but you all do know that the Mayan's did not say the world was going to end. That was another example of the damage the media is capable of. I recently spent some time in a Mayan village & the calendar represents the end of a cycle of 5125 years. there is another Mayan calendar. Merry Christmas!!

• Like 1

While it is a fact that the Myan calendar in many ways is astronomically accurate they also practised ritual sacrifice to gain favour with their deities for a favourable harvest and virtually defoliated their environment so I wouldn't be too quick to bet the farm on it. I would however recommend that you live everyday to the max as though it's your last because one day you'll be right and since this is the only chance we get at life ...Live it be Bohemian or whatever you fancy live those dirty little fantasies while you can rather than ponder what might have been when lying on your death bed. Merry Xmas and a great new Year if it happens...

Far more importantly, tomorrow is the day that the "Colonist" aliens from X-Files are scheduled to invade our planet! "...the ancient Mayans were so terrified that they stopped their calendar on the exact date of colonization: December 22, 2012."

Watch out for bees. That's not pollen they're carrying!

X-Files Colonists

Well the sun gets about 10% brighter and hotter every billion years the effect of which in that time the earth's will be uninhabitable and surface water will boil away. Just no water means no life. So there will be a end to the world...but not in my lifetime

But don't take my word for it I'm really like these gents LOL and got my info off the web

RG

rocket1.jpg

I knew I should not have trusted the Mayan's calender, but I had the time of my life spending my time with some sexy ladies and some duo's in the last month. I thought I could max out my credit card and never have to pay it. j/k.

Darn it all. I was so looking forward to oblivion, lol.

The worst part is now I'll have to actually pay for all those end of the world purchases I made, lol.

Guest a**4*

I believe in end of the week it's called Friday time to kick back and let loose......:icon_lol:

thankyou for starting the thread... great idea

I used the End of the World as an excuse for an evening out with a friend, drinking wine, and toasting the end of the world which neither of us believed would happen. It was good for a laugh. I always appreciated an extra excuse to go out drinking...