This is a weird question, I know but I'm curious. What's the longest you have had a headache? I routinely get headaches for an extended period of time. Right now I've been nursing one for 5 days. I finD I get a lot more headaches in the spring summer and the Dr said they are allergy related because I am basically allergic to everything outside :p what are some natural remedys for headaches? I just kind of boss through them because tylenol, advil, aleeve or whatever makes me a little loopy and I'd rather be clear headed in pain then foggy.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 1

Headaches- Bitter memories from the past, so I do feel for you.

I used to suffer from migraines, probably not the classic ones with the flashing lights all of that but that would last five days and the only relief was a totally dark room and a cool cloth on the forehead. As I got older they did decrease in number and in severity.

Triggers for the headaches are critical, and for me there were two primarily. First and absolutely MOST important was that if I slept in then it would guarantee onset of a headache. Secondly was not eating for extended periods of time. Finally once I retired I have not had one since.

So April, you don't want to wish time by and get old, and you don't want to retire I hope, so consider sleep habits and regular food intake, should those lifestyle things be possibile issues for you.

I have also read though never tried it, that there are acupressure points that you can use to alleviate symptoms of headaches very successfully.

Good luck.

I also get headaches due to my allergies that tend to last several days. I usually go straight to the tylenol, lately though I have been using a nasal spray and have a humidifier in my room and I have been headache free the last 2 weeks.

I tend to get headaches often as well and although mine are usually triggered by fluorescent lighting OR being dehydrated the results are the same...annoying pain. I too tend to stay away from such over the counter meds such as Tylenol or Advil as often as I can due to the (potential) harm each can do to various internal organs by prolonged use. The active ingredient in Tylenol, and most over the counter allergy medications, is Acetaminophen which can cause unwanted issues in ones liver after prolonged useage. Advil on the other had contains Ibuprofen which is an anti-inflammatory and vessel constrictor which limits blood flow within said vessels but its long term damage is centered more in the kidneys as opposed to the liver.

All that said I try to prevent headaches by drinking PLENTY of fluids, water works best, in order to keep my body hydrated and keep my blood pressure and stress to a minimum. If I do develop a headache I remove myself from the problem (i.e. excessive fluorescent lighting) and try to find a darker, quieter area and attempt to relax. This in conjunction with copious amounts of water usually works for me. If not I will take a small dosage (one tablet) and wait for the pain to pass.

I too get headache and migraine from time to time. On rare occasion, I would have one that seems to last forever. A couple of days. The remedy that works well for me is head and neck massage.

I used to have very, very frequent headaches from moderate to severe pain. I was popping Advil like smarties, like a hundred bottle a month.

I was referred to see a chiropractor and the cause of my frequent headaches was my wallet in the back pocket.

My weight was not balanced side to side while stepping on two scales and was x-rayed, which showed a curvature in my spine.

After undergoing a few months of adjustments, things became balanced and I was relieved of my headaches.

I have now been basically free of headaches now for about fifteen years.

I was always sceptical of chiropractors but for me proof positve.

Two weeks back in March. Had major viral infection and couldn't touch coffee, my stomach couldn't handle it, amongst other things (oh, I was a coffaholic LOL) and going through caffeine withdrawl. About the only two benefits of that infection, first, lost 10 pounds, second, once the withdrawl was over, I just drink decaf now

RG

It's not really a weird question at all. Like mrrnice2, I used to get headaches more often when I was younger and not so much now.

But they were pretty debilitating and sometimes lasted for days. I find it difficult to believe that such a headache could be attributed to a simple allergy but then anything is possible.

I wonder if you have ever tried any of the triptan class of drugs for headaches? (e.g. Imitrex (sumatriptan) or something similar). My worst headaches predate the invention of this drug (it's a synthetic designer drug) but I was fortunate enough to get a dose of it to treat a bad headache before it was even on the market (or approved) and I have to tell you, it was like turning off a light switch. Within a couple of minutes after IV injection, no more headache - at all.

It really saved the day for me once as I had traveled thousands of miles to give a presentation and was unable until injected with Imitrex and then my troubles were over, it would still be a number of years before my Doctor in Canada could prescribe it.

Might be something worth trying, can't see the harm in trying it once as it will either work or it won't.

Guest **cely***r***ne

I get alot of headaches lately, but theres nothing I can really take, or feel comfortable taking while pregnant, so I turned to herbal teas and darkness. I find what helps me is a cool cloth to the forehead, keeping my eyes closed and meditate. Focusing on the pain I try to work past it, and it works for me. Sometimes I have a nap and wake feeling much better...hmm a nap sounds good right about now..

I found MOTRIN works well for headaches and back pain. Also like mentioned before drink plenty of fluids, dehydration is a big cause of headaches so is lack of food. Another thing that works great for me is warm saline water in like a kettle in one nostril and out the other, might sound gross or out of the ordinary but it works great once you get the hang of it. I forget what it is called but if you talk to your pharmacist he/she might help you out with that.

Good luck!

Guest N***he**Ont**y

For a sinus headache using a Nedipot helps. An Indian method of distributing saline water through the nostrils and cleans out the sinus. There is a product I use called Hydra Sense that works along the same way and cleans out your sinus. It has to be used a minmum of two times a day and up to six times a day when the allergies are really bad. So far with me its working now on week 3 using it! Nedipot can be purchased at most drug stores or Walmart. Good luck!

Edited by N***he**Ont**y
I hate seeing typos lol

I can sympathize with the whole allergy thing. At one point I was on shots for my allergies and I would say that they definitely helped. I used to be allergic to pretty much everything, and now well I still get affected by certain things but not nearly too the same degree. If you can you might want to talk to your doctor about shots.

As for the headaches I find that drinking water, staying away from caffeine, laying down and sometimes an ice pack will do the trick. I hate taking meds unless I absolutely have to as well, but one med that I do find helps with allergy related headaches is sinus medication like sudafed. Now it's not good to take often but allergies and the sinus tend to go hand in hand so it might help.

Oh wow, I never expected such a response! Thanks everyone. I am begining to think my headaches might have something to do with eating and being dehydrated because I usually average around 7 litres of water a day and eat every 3 hours so sleeping for 9 or more hours probably makes my body sad :p I definetly have some things I am going to try now! Thanks so much everyone!!!

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 1

I get alot of headaches lately, but theres nothing I can really take, or feel comfortable taking while pregnant, so I turned to herbal teas and darkness. I find what helps me is a cool cloth to the forehead, keeping my eyes closed and meditate. Focusing on the pain I try to work past it, and it works for me. Sometimes I have a nap and wake feeling much better...hmm a nap sounds good right about now..

If you rest your little finger over the thumb of the other hand palms inwards the thumb of the other hand will rest on a spot in your inner wrist. This is a acupressure point for headaches. Massaging this point on either wrist will help alleviate the pain.

Almost embarrased to say it but.. My wifes grandmother cured my headaches that used to last for 1-7 days. Wonder Oil neck and temple massage before bed along with wonder oil rubbed into the feet then covered with socks for night and wonder oil on the chest. Stinks like hell but I wake up refreshed and headache free.

She also has convinced me that...

-6-7 hrs sleep a night is a maximum requirement for having maximum energy

-Half a bottle of cold beer before bed and the other half (left on the nightstand) of warm beer the moment you wake up keeps the bladder healthy

-Scaping an apple and eating those scapings takes care of an upset stomach

Sound advice that seems to work, from a 90yr old independant farm lady who can still out work most other women

Guest *ebu**

I have never had a headache, unless you count a bump on the head as one. People look at me as if I must be lying, but it is true. I have asked people to describe what one feels like, and I am grateful for not having had the experience.

Try bromelain/quercetin daily, on an empty stomach an hour before

breakfast (the effects of bromelain will be lost to digestion if the

stomach is not empty), for a couple of weeks and see if it helps.

Bromelain comes from pineapple core and quercetin is a flavinoid.

Bromelain/quercetin usually come together in the same capsule because

they are synergetic.

Try a glass or two of organic red wine when you feel sinus pain coming on;

it's either the booze or the resveratrol which help the pain, but I haven't

quite determined that yet....much more study is required! :-)