I think I picked up the idea that there is a Social on June 22. Is this correct?

You are correct, I responded to your PM with the link to the new thread.

Lexy

Guest ***nsut***jr
Was very interested in this as well but have been told I am too new.

What does that mean? You are too new?

How does one become not new?

Maybe you need to send in some proof of purchase?

It just sounded funny but I would love to hear a clarification

The message i got: Thanks for your interest in the upcoming social. However, after consultation with other Cerb members we have decided that we will with regret decline an invitation because you are such a new member.

I hope that you will become an active member in Cerb and thus be able to meet at the next social whenever that happens to be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by polarice55

Thats the way she goes I guess.

Guest ***nsut***jr
The message i got: Thanks for your interest in the upcoming social. However, after consultation with other Cerb members we have decided that we will with regret decline an invitation because you are such a new member.

I hope that you will become an active member in Cerb and thus be able to meet at the next social whenever that happens to be.

Quote:

Okay so you are not active enough on CERB and really not "too new"

That being said though unless you have a bad reputation for no shows or or something else, I am curious why you would be declined.

Maybe its an anti social social.

Edited by ***nsut***jr
stupidity

This is a rather offensive comment. The organizing for this has been going on for months so there's been plenty of time to comment. Taloon finally quit as organizer after a lot of hard work because some people questioned his commitment as a relatively new and inexperienced member.

It took MN2 to pick up the pieces and organize what I expect will be a great first event for Halifax. You must remember that this is not CERB sponsored, but a private affair held in a public venue. At this point it is at capacity and not accepting new participants. I believe that after all the hard work MN2 has every right to put some reasonable rules around it so as to have a discrete and successful event (he has had the benefits of seeing the way the Ottawa ones evolved). It's really important if you want to have more of them in the future that it's a success. Those new guys commenting here will have a chance in the future.

• Like 7

Okay so you are not active enough on CERB and really not "too new"

That being said though unless you have a bad reputation for no shows or or something else, I am curious why you would be declined.

Wow, you just don't want to let this go, do you? Since you've never attended a social before, perhaps as someone who has organized 6 of them in Ottawa I can enlighten you a bit as to our experience which the Halifax folks haven wisely taken into consideration. We had new members or those who never posted (and apparently had never seen anyone on cerb) show up at our socials to simply lurk and that kept others who were more active on the board and the community away.

A lot of work goes into organizing these events and if it's not attended by members who are actually "hobbiests" and "sps", then there is no incentive for these members to take time out of their busy schedules to meet with people who simply want to gawk or cash in on free drinks (yes we had ladies posing as SPs who did this also).

I am not in any way implying that all new members or even older members with no posts are necessarily lurkers only, but seeing how there is limited room, of course more seasoned members should be allowed first dibs.

I don't see any reason for posting what you did except to try and stir the pot which is totally unnecessary and not in the spirit of the board.

As Boomer reminds us, this is not a CERB-sponsored party. It is organized by cerb members for other cerb members at the discretion of the organizers. Simply having a cerb handle does not equal entitlement.

• Like 8

Apparently this event is only available to certain people. I am excluded as I am too new to this service. Not sure I understand the rationale, I thought it might be to introduce potential new clientele to providers.

• Like 2

Apparently this event is only available to certain people. I am excluded as I am too new to this service. Not sure I understand the rationale, I thought it might be to introduce potential new clientele to providers.

Again read What Angela and Boomer has to say about the reasoning behind this. I for one appreciate the diligence of Mrnice in maintaining comfort zones for all attendees. You have to see, trust is an issue for all concerned. It is not that you have done anything in particular wrong to the board, but we just would like to more about the people we are exposing ourselves to.

Simply by posting or writing rec's, communicating back and forth with other's allows us to have a glimpse of your character. For all we know, you could be a loud/foul mouth, or violent when drinking, or a pimp looking for new talent.. Who knows?? We are simply protecting the integrity of our lifestyle, and safety with information we may share while there!

This is a way for members to get to meet and greet those people whom we have conversed with( Even for the girls to get to know each other as colleagues too). Not necessarily to meet new clients. This is not a solicitation event, or a advertising venue.

Just like the fitness commercial in the 80's says..." All you need is participation!"

• Like 2

Love how people come and pile on the comments about how it's ok that some werent included, yet admit they won't ever be going.

Some people just feel they were worthy of attending and are not a fan of being blackballed. Not a big deal, but thanks for sharing your two cents ;)

Love how people come and pile on the comments about how it's ok that some werent included, yet admit they won't ever be going.

Yeah, for me personally it would be outside my comfort zone for a variety of personal reasons I'm not obligated to disclose. But I'm sure that those that do go will greatly enjoy it a lot (some have mentioned they are looking forward to it) so just because it's not for me (personally) doesn't make me think anything less then it is a fantastic idea!

Some people just feel they were worthy of attending and are not a fan of being blackballed. Not a big deal, but thanks for sharing your two cents ;)

I'm sorry you choose to feel "blackballed" and obviously you still don't get it. I am certain your expression of interest was declined in a most polite way, so it would seem whoever did made the right choice.

Of course attacking me by saying I don't have a right to my opinion just because I couldn't go even if I was invited and wanted to makes it very clear (to me) you probably shouldn't be there either :)

Guest ***nsut***jr

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desbarres

I think I picked up the idea that there is a Social on June 22. Is this correct?

Lexy

Kisses,

Lexy Grace

http://lexygrace.com/

Help me out here... this was the second post on the thread replying to the OP.

As of June 7th it appears that this was a Social and not a private engagement .

Why would Lexy point this guy to the thread without checking out his rep first.

I would be pissed off if it was me.

I also think if you post on the general board that you are implying the opportunity to attend.

Anyway its your party... do what you want.

Going back to what caught my attention in the first place was the statement of newness.

I'm curious if anyone would take those plasticy new $100s and $50's I have saved up?

Or are they too new?

Guest W***ledi*Time

They don't accept all-comers at the Ottawa Socials, why should the Halifax organizers not learn from the Ottawa experience, as explained by Angela earlier in this thread?

This board is public, anyone in the world can read the threads. And anyone in the world can join Cerb. So anyone in the world can find out about, and request an invitation to, this social.

However, it's normal and appropriate for anyone who is organizing a social gathering (in any walk of life) to have control over the guest list. This is not a game, it's a serious responsibility. And safety and discretion come first, most especially in this business and pastime, where we're generally thought of as zoo animals by the general public. The first attempt at putting this together failed because it did not overcome exactly those concerns about safety and discretion (no fault, no foul, btw - without Taloon, we'd not have this second attempt).

As a side note - this will be the first Halifax social, and it was obviously impossible for the organizers to guess what level of interest there would be. This has practical implications for arranging space and other logistics, which in the real world aren't infinitely flexible. I'm on the outside looking in, too. The seats filled up and the event is at capacity - which should be nothing but good news for the Halifax community. The credit belongs to those actually in the arena, who have created this opportunity out of nothing.

No good deed lacks its nay-sayers.

I was told I couldn't come. Politely or not. That is a form of black balling someone.

I am hardly being immature about it. Just honest.

Guest N***he**Ont**y

As it was stated it is a private get together with no actual association with Cerb!

I was told I couldn't come. Politely or not. That is a form of black balling someone.

You are hardly being blackballed. This is the message you got, and I'm quoting your post

Quote:

You were declined this time for this social. But as the message says, they hope you become an active member in CERB, and thus meet at the next social

The idea of socials is for established members of the CERB community, who know each other pretty much through posts (ok, in some cases ladies and gentlemen have met each other in other circumstances :-) ) to meet in person. Become part of this community by contributing positive posts. Remember CERB's underlying policy...if you do not have anything nice to say...Please do not say anything at all.

Coming from a CERB member who would attend this social if he was out east, but looking forward to this December when, as it looks now, I can make the Christmas social

RG

• Like 1

Wow, there seems to have been a lot of drama around this social. It's impossible to have any kind of social (family, work, personal) and not have any drama I suppose, we're all human.

I just hope it's all set aside and forgotten about and those who do attend make it a great evening.

Go, have fun, have lots of laughs.

• Like 2

Well sweety, all that has been said here.....is THAT there are more members with more REP that would like to attend the social. It has nothing to do with you, or being blackballed!! Simply though, as we know little of you. So why would the organizer of the event choose a member that we know nothing on...over a member that has put duo diligence on there time here on the site??

So, take it with a grain of salt....and carry on. Participate....bulid rep...and see you at the next social!!! Be in the spirit of CERB community:)

• Like 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desbarres

Lexy

Kisses,

Lexy Grace

http://lexygrace.com/

Help me out here... this was the second post on the thread replying to the OP.

As of June 7th it appears that this was a Social and not a private engagement .

Why would Lexy point this guy to the thread without checking out his rep first.

I would be pissed off if it was me.

I also think if you post on the general board that you are implying the opportunity to attend.

Anyway its your party... do what you want.

Going back to what caught my attention in the first place was the statement of newness.

I'm curious if anyone would take those plasticy new $100s and $50's I have saved up?

Or are they too new?

I will help you out because it's plain as day. I responded to Desbarres that I replied to him and had answered his question and it was not my responsibility to check his rep or anything in regards to the Social, the second time I simply quoted and posted the link for Katrine Cannon and for anyone else who wanted the proper new thread for themselves to read. I see no problem with that, the information is there for whomever wants to read it..

Originally I received a PM out of the blue from Desbarres and was asked if something was still going on. I responded and inserted the proper thread link. I was simply responding to a PM and here to let him know that I replied to him. I'm not sure why I was contacted but knew where to direct him, so I did just that.

The post stating that the Social is Full was June 8th. I responded to Desbarres June 7th and to this thread again with just the link June 9th for those who were looking for info here as the Social was full and quite capable of going to the proper thread and reading on their own the information from the organizers.

If someone asks for information and if I can help I will point them in the correct direction, which was the link to the proper thread with the info. I will and did.

johnsutterjr I have no clue why you brought me in to this as the timeline is very clear and all the information/link that I supplied was as I received and read it. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but to single me out for trying to be helpful and just posting/sending a link for anyone to go and read for themselves and answering a question to the best of my knowledge and ability at the time on June 7th. All I can say is WOW!!

Bringing money up is totally inappropriate and uncalled for but I can tell you something that's very honest and to the point, for every new plasticy $100 and $50 dollar bills you have saved up, there are plenty of gentlemen that just have it or have also saved up too. Your cash flow is so irrelevant and has nothing to with what is being discussed in this thread and is of no concern of mine.

I did find how you slipped that in insulting and disrespectful. The Social has nothing to do with the money you may have to flash around and last I checked you were not attending. I don't even see the point in bringing up money in this discussion, when the Social has nothing to do with that or what you may have in your wallet. That is my opinion that I am entitled to it.

The main reason and to my understanding is that all attendees want to feel comfortable, safety and discretion is a priority for all and just not the gentlemen. The people attending contribute and take pride in maintaining everyone's safety, privacy and discretion and have formed and earned a certain level of trust and respect amongst each other. This is my interpretation and in my own words, so please don't get those twisted.

It's a very sad day when being helpful by answering a question and sending/posting a link gets scrutinized and insulting comments regarding money gets thrown out there.

I will take this opportunity to ask you johnsutterjr politely to leave me out of any further posts/discussion you add/make to this thread. My point was made, clarified by the timeline of event and is crystal clear. Thank you

Have a lovely day johnsutterjr and I hope tomorrow is even better,

Lexy

Edited by Lexy Grace
  • Like 2

Well said Sophia. I don't think that there is anything personal about the way this was decided, and I don't think any hard feelings were intended by anyone involved. We are simply talking about an informal get together among friends, (virtual or otherwise) in a venue with very limited capacity. We are also talking about people who need discretion, so there is a need for certainty that all those who are attending are people that are trusted and proven members of the community. Trust is built over time. We are dealing with an aspect of our lives where unfortunately, we often have to assume the worst in people until proven otherwise. It sucks but it's necessary. If there were no method of screening at all in place, few would likely want to attend.

Be patient. Be active in the community. There will be other events. ;-)

• Like 1