Seeing as the calendar has turned and we are now in August, is there any word or plans on Valued Member and SP Awards. It seems to me we had the nominations late August last year and votes early September. This is where we can nominate and vote on CERB members who make a contribution to this community.

RG

I may be wrong, but I thought MOD decided to get rid of this due to all the complications that arose last time? Hope not, but is understandable after the headachs that MOD went through...

I remember too Sophia, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Maybe if it's treated like it's supposed to be, as something positive, instead of spiraling into something negative we can have it again. And I'm sure we all learned something from last year.

And the awards, just a way for members to acknowledge one another for their contributions...doesn't bestow any special powers LOL

But lets keep our fingers crossed, I'm sure we can all participate in this positively this time

RG

• Like 4

I remember too Sophia, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Maybe if it's treated like it's supposed to be, as something positive, instead of spiraling into something negative we can have it again. And I'm sure we all learned something from last year.

And the awards, just a way for members to acknowledge one another for their contributions...doesn't bestow any special powers LOL

But lets keep our fingers crossed, I'm sure we can all participate in this positively this time

RG

I reviewed the previous thread spiraling out of control but it did start off very positive and I think it is necessary to recognize the contributions to the greater good that people make here.

Perhaps moderation could be turned on. That slows it down a lot as posts have to wait until the MOD(s) have time to review and approve them and I think if everyone knew up front that all posts were moderated and would be reviewed before posted people would be of better behavior and of course if they didn't well, it just isn't allowed to spiral out of control.

I think it's worth a try.

I should add one thing, this is, at least from my vantage point, this is one of the few collective positive things that everyone on this board can partake in.

I do believe (I least I really hope we have) we all learned from last year

But let's not dwell on the past, let's move forward.

I may be optimistic, but I think it goes hand in hand with the underlying CERB philosophy of if you don't have something nice to say don't say anything at all.

RG

I wasn't here during the troubles, but I'd advise caution. The wounds may no longer be visible, but they still may be felt. Time heals, but sometimes it's best not to revisit things that should be left in the past.

I have no stake in whether the awards come back or not, and agree they should be a great positive event. But .....

Porthos

This is my opinion.

I think Awards are a bad idea, it separates members and puts certain members "above" other members. I understand the idea of wanting to recognize a members post/contribution on the board but inevitability it will turn into a popularity contest.

As was stated previously it caused an issue in the past, one of the posters was questioning whether another member should even be eligible for an award based on the number of posts that member had (or join date I forget which it was).

We're human, humans tend to side with like minded people so if you win an award that probably means more people than not agree with what you said i.e. what you said is "popular".

There are always exceptions but a member could write a very detailed, well written, well thought out post that a majority of the members disagree with, that post will never win an award.

Even the current reputation point process has been evolving based on how members are awarding them. Clearly some current members were trying to prop up some new members so that member has a "higher status.

Personally I don't value what is said in a post based on that members status or number of awards won, I agree, disagree, like, don't like the post based on its content.

I was never the popular kid in school, can ya tell?

• Like 4

I have no idea why any sane person would want to open this can of worms again. It didn't do what it was supposed to do, and caused so many rifts and issues. Leave it alone.

• Like 1

Well it has been run many times with no issues, once with issues (unfortunately)

Personally I thought all the members here have learned from last year and we could move forward and return the Valued Members and SP Awards to the purpose intended, something positive.

From reading the threads, guess I was wrong, still bringing up the past

RG

• Like 1

I think it is still a nice idea and don't think it needs to be over-thought....Onward in positivity I think :) Let's keep it fun and kind....

• Like 2

I have no idea why any sane person would want to open this can of worms again. It didn't do what it was supposed to do, and caused so many rifts and issues. Leave it alone.

I am inclined to agree. It starts off with the best of intentions and then feelings get hurt, games get played and emotions begin to boil over.

That being said, it would be nice to have some recognition for folks that have made a positive impact on the board. Stratified "levels" for membership time, posts contributed, and dare I say it, nominations and comments left. In the end, it would not grant you any more or any less privileges on the board, but it would be nice to see "achievement" icons - kind of like Olympic medals only naughtier.

How about just like kids today, there are no losers and everyone gets a particpation award. That should

about cover it and no ones feelings get hurt.

Peace

MG

• Like 1

I am inclined to agree. It starts off with the best of intentions and then feelings get hurt, games get played and emotions begin to boil over.

Yup. It'd be great if it can happen nicely, but I'm not convinced I'm prepared to risk it.

That being said, it would be nice to have some recognition for folks that have made a positive impact on the board. Stratified "levels" for membership time, posts contributed, and dare I say it, nominations and comments left. In the end, it would not grant you any more or any less privileges on the board, but it would be nice to see "achievement" icons - kind of like Olympic medals only naughtier.

Well, there's a bit of that already. It would be --really-- nice if we could acknowledge what folks put into places like the chat room and the groups, too.

Yup. It'd be great if it can happen nicely, but I'm not convinced I'm prepared to risk it.

Well I got to say now after reading all the posts it looks like people do dwell on the past, and to do the members choice awards now, frankly in my opinion, is doomed to failure.

Thought all members could learn from the past, move forward, move on, and we have something positive...but I guess I was too optimistic.

I can't see the Mod even entertaining doing the awards now, just by reading these posts.

Sorry I even brought the thread up now. Let's just close this off and let it die

RG

No need for sorries RG...

It's nice to think that we can appreciate one another by recognizing the efforts and contributions that people have made, and as Phaedrus said, not just in the threads but in chat and in the social groups.

We have tried on a number of occasions and unfortunately it has turned ugly on more than once. It would be wonderful to think that we are all on the same page, but frankly that's not the way the world works. Different people, different agendas, different goals and different paths - we have proven over the years that the valued member/provider awards are no guarantee of fairness or for that matter member retention.

This by no means is a slight against past winners and nominees - many of us have felt a sense of pride for the efforts that we have made on the board and for the recognition we have received from our peers - but when that sense of accomplishment is sullied by people who have an axe to grind or want to nominate phantom members (who actually won!) then the whole process seems futile.

As I have said we have other alternatives that might be explored... and that might just be something we want to throw out there...

Other than electing/selecting a valued member/sp award winner, what could we do to honour our valued members?

As an alternative, if you want to praise a member for what they posted, then simply post a public message in their profile. I think that would do quite nicely.

As I have said we have other alternatives that might be explored... and that might just be something we want to throw out there...

Other than electing/selecting a valued member/sp award winner, what could we do to honour our valued members?

Last year was my first involvement in the Members Choice awards and when it started I thought that it was such a nice and fun idea. When the whole thing went south I was rather distressed over it, so I would also be a bit nervous of having it brought back.

We do have a variety of ways through various threads that are already in existance that we can use to recognize individuals should any of us wish to do so.

There is the "I Like Positivity" thread. http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58683

There is the "Cerb Goddess of the Day" thread. http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=90044

There is the "An Ode to the Gentlemen of Cerb" thread. http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=92407

There is the "Little Cerb Thank You's" thread. http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=100815

There is the "Highlights of the Day" thread. http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63488

There may already be other threads that I have missed and I expect that there are.

Perhaps someone has another thread topic that they might wish to create that will allow and foster the sense of community that we all seem to appreciate and will provide recognition for those who go above and beyond.

Edited by mrrnice2
Added a thread link
  • Like 1

Last year was my first involvement in the Members Choice awards and when it started I thought that it was such a nice and fun idea. When the whole thing went south I was rather distressed over it, so I would also be a bit nervous of having it brought back.

We do have a variety of ways through various threads that are already in existance that we can use to recognize individuals should any of us wish to do so.

There is the "I Like Positivity" thread. http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58683

There is the Cerb Goddess of the Day thread. http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=90044

There is the Little Cerb Thank You's thread. http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=100815

There is the Highlights of the Day thread. http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63488

There may already be other threads that I have missed and I expect that there are.

Perhaps someone has another thread topic that they might wish to create that will allow and foster the sense of community that we all seem to appreciate and will provide recognition for those who go above and beyond.

I AGREE!! You show your wisdom here on this post mrnice! This is a thread I started while back, have not seen it lately...might have to bump it back up there again http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=92407

I remember all too well how things went last year. To me, the vote will always have an element of a popularity contest and that sits fine with me.

However, it did not sit fine broadly, and it created so much unnecessary tension, that it did much more harm than good. So, I would be in the camp of why bother, we can have some banter in a thread about all kinds of things that can be positive, and no need to put something out there that runs the risk of causing more bad than good. It might stroke some of our egos, but that to me is about all.

So, my vote is for no award.

No need to apologize RG. When I see that someone has been nominated for an award, or won one, it always makes me pay attention: this is someone who has made real contributions. So I agree it's very sad that we are not doing it. As I've said before, I wasn't here for the problems, but I can still see how it affects people. It takes time.

As Mrnice said, there are lots of ways we reward each other, help each other, and support each other. The give a hug/get a hug, and the i like positivity are two of my favourites. In the end, deeds and actions speak louder than awards. Let's just keep building positivity by giving out congrats and best wishes every day!

Porthos

No need to apologize RG. When I see that someone has been nominated for an award, or won one, it always makes me pay attention: this is someone who has made real contributions. So I agree it's very sad that we are not doing it. As I've said before, I wasn't here for the problems, but I can still see how it affects people. It takes time.

As Mrnice said, there are lots of ways we reward each other, help each other, and support each other. The give a hug/get a hug, and the i like positivity are two of my favourites. In the end, deeds and actions speak louder than awards. Let's just keep building positivity by giving out congrats and best wishes every day!

Porthos

i totally agree with this, and this is the most important...not awards.

i think having awards would bring more negativity that positivity, even though it should be the opposite. And plus we're adults here and why to we need awards to begin with?!...acknowledging someone in a thread would be much more awarding, especially if it's unexpected.

Edited by conquistador

Perhaps you could have more than one award....no posted nominations.....just have it anonomys if possible (which would have to be by PM I suppose) Only one vote per category per person......At the end of the day when the vote closes list only the winner of each category ???....or top 3 / top 5 ???

Have a little fun with it.... Just offering a suggestion for those that want to try something different without having the big competition and drama along the way.

As an example for Cerb ladies

Most valued all around SP on Cerb

Sexiest SP on Cerb

Hottest legs on Cerb

Nicest buns on Cerb

Funniest SP on Cerb

Most helpful SP on Cerb

Best album on Cerb

Best SP Ads

???

For the Guys on Cerb

Ya I got nuthin !