Record High Traffic today on cerb!

9307 Unique people are currently on cerb (as I type this)

I got a notification that the server load jumped so I checked the real time stats and sure enough...

546 members and 8148 guests (and 613 Spiders)

SPiders are bots (programs) the crawl websites for data (google, msn, etc... this is how they keep the search engines accurate) so 613 connections are spiders/bots but 8694 are actual people!

That is a record high (and it is making the pages on cerb load a little slower right now too)

Well... I think rogers is having issues today too. My internet where I am right now (and yesterday) was a little hit and miss.

That is a record high (and it is making the pages on cerb load a little slower right now too)

It may be for real but I'm just a little suspicious in the sudden increase, seems a little too much to quickly and sustained for too long. Could it be an HTTP DDoS Flood attack? So many "guests" as a ratio to registered users online.

Hope they really are all real people and CERB has become that popular all of a sudden :)

I too was thinking the same thing but if that is true it does not look like one i have ever seen (and i have battled many dos attacks) ... Google did a huge update and that may be part of it, i am monitoring everything on this end. Server load is 2.5 and that is very low for 16 cpu cores. I may reboot the server a little later just to be sure.

Yeah and it continues to climb at a time of the evening when things should be quieting down a bit. Not the server load (as MOD has pointed out) but the link is definitely becoming oversubscribed. Without access to the logs it's impossible to say for sure but I'm guessing we are under attack!

Very strange! As I write, it's 7:40 p.m. Pacific time, 10:40 in Ontario and the front page says that there are 498 members, 8905 guests and 640 spiders. That does seem like a very high load for the last Friday evening of the summer!

Spam accounts do seem to be on the increase on two of the sites that I visit. One of the ad sites is getting not less than 2 dozen new accounts created daily where only a couple of weeks ago it was a couple per week. The other site the spam accounts are getting past the checkpoints and able to post multiple times.

It must be a real challenge to keep up with.

Site is also slow for me, tho this is the first time I've visited today, and it is later at night now.

Yeah, still climbing but if its a dos attack they are not very good at it. I am still monitoring it, keep in mind the stats shown count any user logged in within the last hour (guest, bot/spider and registered member) average was about 3000 per hour so basicly trippled overnight.... Could be new unknown bots/spiders (the system can nly identify what it knows) or could be googles new changes giving us more search engine listings.

Guest N***he**Ont**y

Interesting where they are sourcing the attack from if that is what it is. I am sure they wouldn't like it if some others responded in kind! Hope it s just a lot of new vistors and not the other.

I shut off access to the shoutbox for guests (only registered members) to free up some resources (speed up page loads) but that is all i did.