What is your cold or flu remedy

It's that time of year again when some of us will come down with a cold or flu. What do you do to prevent it and what is your remedy when you get it?

I find that, for the ladies, vigorous chest rubs work the best. :)

Seriously, the zinc remedies here in the states work well ... stuff like Cold-eeze lozenges and Zicam are pretty popular for basic virus-based colds.

• Like 1

Guest V***s*aP*I

Not an actual remedy to get rid of it. . . but it makes me stop caring

Spiced Rum!

I am one of those firm believers in Vitamin C and its ability to prevent the cold. For it to be effective to me however there is a very specific time when one must ingest relatively large amounts.

Prior to getting a cold if one feels the symptoms that tell you a cold may be on the way- perhaps an ache in the neck or bones, or whatever the precursor symptoms are for you, then immediately start the Vitamin C. I usually take 3 X 500 mg tablets multiple times throughout the day, whenever I think of it. The body cannot overdose on Vitamin C as it is water soluble and excess is eliminated.

I REALLY believe that if I get it into me at the very very early stage then the cold will not develop.

Once the cold is settled in however, the only thing is to settle in for the long haul, be a baby, and hope that someone will pamper and take good care of you and bring copious amounts of homemade chicken soup. :)

The best medicine is prevention - wash hands, wash hands, wash hands!

• Like 1

Guest S**a*Q

Oil of oregano. It's a natural anti-virulent. I take 5 drops a day when I'm not sick and if by chance I do get sick, I take 10 a day, five in the morning and five at night.

Vanessa beat me to it! Boil some water, and add some honey, spiced rum and lemon. Have a drink before bed and you'll sleep like a baby.

• Like 1

:biggrin:So many great tips everyone thank you, vanessa-pei- loved your post about the spiced rum-lol, but no more rep points this morning. But "I'll be back"!!

Does anyone every tried Cold-FX?

If you don't have the cold or flu yet its excellent, but if you already contracted it get the Cold-FX extra strength start 1st day 3 pills in the morning and 3 at night, 2nd day, 2 pills in the morning and 2 at night, 3rd day, 1 pill in the morning and 1 at night. This gets rid of the cold fast, usually I get feeling better after the first day.

• Like 1

Guest *ig*a**

Homemade chicken soup its the only way to go along with the hot water and I prefer gin with lemon drink.

Oil of oregano and Cold FX seem to help me. If it does take root, then liberal use of a Neti pot seems to lessen the effects and speed healing. It is a little gross for some people, but I love it, and wish I had discovered it years ago.

I like oil of oregano too.. but can't stand the liquid..it's soooo nasty! I will only take capsules. Works great. I used it also for strep throat about 6 months ago.

Goldenseal is also a great antibiotic herb. Echinacea is good for viral infections.

Zinc and vit c are great antiviral, antihistamine and general immune boosters too.. and I always take omega 3 fish oils for general well being.

• Like 1

Prevention first! Take your daily multi vitamins and extra vitamins c. At the first sign take echinacea and cold-fx wont hurt. Haven't had a full fledged cold in many years!

What do you do to "prevent it" and what is your remedy when you get it?

A number of years ago when my wife was ill and had a compromised immune system it was necessary for me to start taking the annual flu shot. I believe it's very important in avoiding the flu, and am still getting it done after eight years.

• Like 1

Well......I can certainly say what I will NOT take...lol

I have been home sick now for 5 days with a flu:( I decided to take Tylenol complete OMG!!!! I was almost stoned! hahahaha, I had impaired vision, depth perception issues, no balance and could not sleep! WOW...I was not liking it, it was a nauseating experience and lasted much too long:(

Obviously this medicine was not for me, and will never take it again.

Tonight, I will have a warm apple cider with a warm shoot of dark rum in it, mmmm...might not heal, but sure makes being sick a bit better lol...

Prevention is likely the best thing ... I actually am a bit of skeptic about cold remedies. Nice cup of tea for a sore throat, vapors for congestion, and time. I do like Vicks rub to help sleep. But beyond that I really don't do anything. My partner swears by ColdFx, which she takes. I never take it, get fewer colds and get over them faster. Go figure.

Porthos

• Like 1

Sometimes, if I feel it coming on, I can blast it out with 1-2 hardcore aerobic workouts within a few hours of each other. But if it hits and I'm really feeling crappy, I take a couple aspirin, a double shot of something strong, a very long,hot shower, then wrap up in thermals, jump under heavy blankets, and sweat it out. I'm a hug believer in Vick's Vap-O-Rub and chicken soup and lots of sleep.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Vit D... highly under-rated. Here's 20 suggestions from naturalnews.com

Hey, another NaturalNewser! Mike Adams can be a little over the top sometimes and makes some really cheesy music videos, but his intentions are good. His site's not solely informational, as he tries to sell stuff too, but hey, we all have the right to earn an income. Doctor Mercola's another one.

Anyway, Aronia beats the piss out of elderberry, ORAC-wise, and practically every other nutraceutical out there too. "Aronia", even it's name is wonderful; if I ever have another child, I wish the name to be Aronia.

"I christen thee Aronia!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aronia#Products_and_uses

http://www.iherb.com/Eclectic-Institute-Aronia-450-mg-90-Veggie-Caps/12451

Madre Labs has a really good immune boosting combo (4.5 stars out of 5, over 500 reviews):

http://www.iherb.com/Madre-Labs-Immune-Punch-with-AHCC-and-Epicor-6-35-oz-180-grams/8951

If you're a wilderness hiker and you see this growing on a birch tree, dig it off and make a tea of it.

08_31_9.jpg

Hey, another NaturalNewser! Mike Adams can be a little over the top sometimes and makes some really cheesy music videos, but his intentions are good. His site's not solely informational, as he tries to sell stuff too, but hey, we all have the right to earn an income. Doctor Mercola's another one.

Anyway, Aronia beats the piss out of elderberry, ORAC-wise, and practically every other nutraceutical out there too. "Aronia", even it's name is wonderful; if I ever have another child, I wish the name to be Aronia.

"I christen thee Aronia!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aronia#Products_and_uses

http://www.iherb.com/Eclectic-Institute-Aronia-450-mg-90-Veggie-Caps/12451

Madre Labs has a really good immune boosting combo (4.5 stars out of 5, over 500 reviews):

http://www.iherb.com/Madre-Labs-Immune-Punch-with-AHCC-and-Epicor-6-35-oz-180-grams/8951

If you're a wilderness hiker and you see this growing on a birch tree, dig it off and make a tea of it.

08_31_9.jpg

I love both Naturalnews.com and mercola.com

I have yet to try chokeberry (aronia)! thanks for the tip.

I have yet to try chokeberry (aronia)! thanks for the tip.

You're more than welcome! Gotta spread the word! ;)

I see Mike Adams is selling his "Coco Mojo" cocoa/mushroom combo.

http://store.naturalnews.com/Cocoa-Mojo-100-Organic-Cocoa-Powder_p_93.html

I guess he saw how well Madre Labs' CocoCeps was selling. ;)

http://www.iherb.com/Madre-Labs-CocoCeps-Instant-Organic-Dark-Cocoa-Beverage-Stay-Fresh-Re-Sealable-Pak-7-93-oz-225-g/23648

A cup of this stuff, with some low glycemic raw coconut sugar and a tiny sprinkle of stevia, gets my mood and energy up in the mornings and the effect lasts most of the day! I don't know about Mike's Mojo, but Madre Labs is of the highest quality out there.

• Like 1