fave O-town restaurants?

Dummpy, don't ya know we all hang on your every word?? It's like gospel! Hahahaha.

Well I now that sometimes hanging on them does put undo pressure on them and they get twisted!

This is a great thread Erin, I am just surprised that no one has divulged a little hidden Gem that I have not eaten at yet? There are over 2000 liquor licenses in Ottawa so there has got to be some cool spot that I have missed?

Well I now that sometimes hanging on them does put undo pressure on them and they get twisted!

This is a great thread Erin, I am just surprised that no one has divulged a little hidden Gem that I have not eaten at yet? There are over 2000 liquor licenses in Ottawa so there has got to be some cool spot that I have missed?

Sambuza on Gladstone. Little family run Ethiopian place. I've only been once, but it was delicious.

1 restaurant that I have dropped in for lunches, and enjoy is Moxies, the viewing entertainment is spectacular:boobies:

Pete, anytime you want to cook for me, you let me know!

For some reason I can't help but think Pete's got an apron that says kiss the cook ?

In defense of strip club kitchens,when I worked at Fanny's on Bank back in the 80's we had a great cook, for many years he could prepare anything and it was always delicious, he even made the buffet taste good. I think he moved on to the Westin or Chateau Laurier.

Guest Ou**or**n

My weakness is Thai food and to me there is no better than Thai Lanna down Bank near Hunt.

there are some cute asian girls on Somerset just up Bronson...

oh wait you mean FOOD! (yes har har...someone HAD to ;-) )

I'm actually a really big fan of Shanghai restaurant on Somerset near Bronson...its very cute small and very NOT hole in the wall-ish. they have rotating art on the wall and friendly family service...fun nights after 9pm hosted by family members (one who is a drag queen and does a hillarious Karaoke night on saturdays!...definitely dinner and a show!) also very reasonably priced

I did leave myself open for that one. Ha ha. :-D

Thanks for the suggestion. Just getting tired of Baton Rouge, the hotel bar, and room service cheese and crackers (wink) when I'm in town.

Sambuza on Gladstone. Little family run Ethiopian place. I've only been once, but it was delicious.

Have not been there!! Thanks Erin :) Hey maybe you will let me take you!!

I love Lychee View Restaurant on Merivale beside DQ. I used to go there 3-4 times a month but it was kinda my ex and I's thing, feels like I am betraying our tradition if I go there with anyone else, lol, best hot and sour soup ever!

Place is great for largish groups and sharing- larger tables have those lazy susans to share each dish- only have been there once with that many people but was really nice to get to try so many different things! The plastic table covers threw me off at first but when you see the crowds in there you don't question it- 98% Chinese diners...

Must try dishes- scallops with cashews, hot and sour soup, and pork potstickers, yum!

Love all the great reviews everyone- so many new places I have to try!

Anyone know of a good place for hot-pot? A friend of mine had a chinese fondue party, loved it and want more!

Lycheeview is good & if you go after 8PM, they have 1/2 price specials! A friend of mine & I stuffed ourselves for less than $20 total. I also like the Shann Curry House on Merivale. ( a few doors down from Lycheeview.)

Guest f***2f***

Moxie's....the food is overpriced but the help are amazing lol

Cheshire Cat in Stittsville has great pub grub and atmosphere

Al's Steakhouse...i also love the salad dressing.

Maxwell's on Elgin...excellent smoked salmon

Fox and Feather on Elgin...waitresses there are nice too

The Mayflower on Elgin for late morning brekkie..sit on the patio and watch the scenary

360...had steak there and enjoyed it

Hy's Steakhouse....great food...expensive

Another one I enjoy, for a very long dinner, with a great selections of wine's (glass enclosure floor to ceiling..lots of wine) is

Vittoria Trattoria great Italian food.

Moxie's....the food is overpriced but the help are amazing lol

Cheshire Cat in Stittsville has great pub grub and atmosphere

Igotaboner...if you are ever out towards Ashton and you like small pubs try in the village of Ashton -" The Old Mill at Ashton"..good pints, good pub grub....

and yes the help at Moxies are very amazing..lol:grin:

For some reason I can't help but think Pete's got an apron that says kiss the cook ?

Yes as a matter of fact I do... but the quotation "kiss the cook" is on a flap on the apron the is right between my legs, some ladies thinks it says "kiss the cock" they can't make out the 2nd o ! LMAO!:lol:

Guest Ou**or**n

Anyone know of a good place for hot-pot? A friend of mine had a chinese fondue party, loved it and want more!

There is one that opened on Bank near Billings called Mongolian Hot Pot (not to be confused with Mongolian Village). I ate there once at it was great. Most of the other diners were asian.

There is one that opened on Bank near Billings called Mongolian Hot Pot (not to be confused with Mongolian Village). I ate there once at it was great. Most of the other diners were asian.

I will definitely check that out, I have seen a few places around town but I am not the type to dive into uncharted waters... Thanks a bunch!

I am a big fan of Asian Food:

Vietnamese Pho - 765 Somerset Street ( Pho Thu Do ) - They only serve soup and spring rolls.

Fresh, great tasting soup and the best, bar none, spring rolls ever.

Thai - SukoThai in Bells Corners.

Chinese - Sea King, Sharkfin Seafood Restaurant - 1558 Merivale Road

Private rooms and great service and selection.

I used to have a favorite Moroccan place called Dar tajine ( Preston and Gladtsone ) but it is gone. Anyone here know a good replacement?

Best Beef (Steaks or Roasts) - Toss up between Hy's or Sterlings (in Gatineau). Caesar salad at Hy's is the best in town and made properly. Something about a rib steak at Sterlings cooked over wood that provides a taste that can't be beat!

Best Meatball Sandwich - the Prescott!!!. Nothing better than a meatball sandwich and a cold quart of Ex!

Best Eggrolls with home made plum sauce - Toss up between Golden Palace and Wong's...both on Carling

Best Family Restaurant - Chances R - For a restaurant that has a "little of everything" on the menu this one ranks on the top of my list. Great pork ribs, very reasonably priced prime rib, and probably Ottawa's best valued breakfast menu...anyone who went to Algonquin knows where it is!!!

Best Restaurant to go when ya don't know what ya wanna eat - Black Dog in Manotick - very reasonably priced food with a limited but very reasonably priced wine list

Best Meatball Sandwich - the Prescott!!!. Nothing better than a meatball sandwich and a cold quart of Ex!

Man, I was just there, I can't believe I didn't try the meatball sandwich, I keep hearing about how good it is.

Some of my faves:

Brother Wu on St Laurent for beef noodle soup and sweet and sour pork (thanks Connie & Maggie!)

Korean Garden on Rideau for table bbq fare (thanks Connie & Maggie!)

Marroush (sp?) at Gladstone/Elgin for shwarma. Heard good things about Shwarma Station at Bank/Hunt club but haven't made it yet.

For Teriyaki theres a Japanese fast food stand in the Hazledean Mall that has the best I've found in town and it's @ $5! Good Yakisoba too.

Gerbos on Beckwith in Smiths Falls for prime rib roast (Sat & Sun only) or pizza (a fave of the locals) (It's not in Ottawa or fancy but if you're passing thru ... their sign hangs down along the side of the building and looks like an upside down penis LOL)

Agree that Moxies usually has nice eye candy as well as decent food. And the meatball sandwich at Prescott is all it's said to be.

One very favourite of mine always is Dining At The Y, the plate is always very fresh, clean and smooth.

With a lot of passing thru, your tongue glistening to ensure ample dining enjoyment with your date.

Some times there are benefits, like free ample parking in the rear:twisted:. Or you may use your digits to get her attention:grin:.

So lately the DATY has/is my favourite dining lounge.

Question please ... is there any good asian within 3-4 blocks of the Delta (Queen St. and Bay)?

Just stroll down to Chinatown ..... there's a Japanese/Korean place, think it's called Seoul House on Somerset that's pretty good. (thanks Jenny/Lily!)

Also lots of Viet Pho places .... one of the best is a bit of a hike .... up Lebreton on corner of Willow. Sorry, name eludes me .... only one on that corner (thanks Connie & Maggie!)

If you're into Hot Pot go to Mays at corner of Somerset/Preston ... a lil further than u asked too (thanks Connie & Maggie!)

Of course if you don't like Connie and Maggie's taste in asian food you may not like them *lol*

What a great thread!

I needed some tips on where to dine well in town. I usually end up at my favorite place The Lone Star which is not fancy by any means, but they have great food, good music, a fun atmosphere, friendly staff and the best frozen margaritas and strawberry daiquiris.

I figure I should give my list of favorite places in Ottawa to eat. Since I grew near some of the best restaurants in the world, I must say there are some great places here in town.

Allegro on Preston

Tosca on O'Connor

Prime 360 (of course it had to be on the list!)

Vittoria Trattoria

Mr B's on Bank and Hunt Club, great little restaurant. Make sure to have a reservation though!

As for my favorite food in the world, pizza...I second what Capitalman had on his list. KS Restaurant at Bank and Albion...the pizza there is amazing! Colonnade, can't come to Ottawa and not head down to Metcalfe for some of the best pizza around!