fave O-town restaurants?

Man, I was just there, I can't believe I didn't try the meatball sandwich, I keep hearing about how good it is.

There is something to be said for simple, hearty, down to earth places to hang out with friends and share a few naughty stories over pints. I remember the Lafayette when it was a real pub.

What a great thread!

I needed some tips on where to dine well in town. I usually end up at my favorite place The Lone Star which is not fancy by any means, but they have great food, good music, a fun atmosphere, friendly staff and the best frozen margaritas and strawberry daiquiris.

Sometimes the best dinning is the simplest dinning ....

I was reading this thread and was waiting for someone to talk about there favorite mexican food restaurant. I seen a few that I already know but I want some more choices. Thanks.:oops:

If you want some of the best "real" Mexican food in Ottawa, go to Feleena's on Bank in the Glebe. The food there is outstanding. Not sure why I didn't put them on my original list, it's one of my favorite places in Ottawa!

I agree. Feleena's is what Mexicali Rosa's was they started the first small location on Bank in the Glebe but have lost due to expansions to multiple locations.

I agree. Feleena's is what Mexicali Rosa's was they started the first small location on Bank in the Glebe but have lost due to expansions to multiple locations.

MMm, I'm going to have to try Feleena's, I have been looking for a decent burrito for ages!

thx for the Mexican info ..... I didn't think there was ANY good Mexican here. Mexicali Rosa's has ok food, but lousy mexican. And that's what I went there for .....

And yes I agree that simple dining can be great, the places on my list are all very casual.

if your looking for good Mexican cuisine try Ahora on Dalhousie in the Market...very good. It's more of an in/out place than say Mex Rosa's but the food is great.

• Like 1

I agree about Feleena's another good one is Pancho Villa (I think that is the name) on Elgin in the same lower level as the lieutenants Pump. They have lunch fietas for one kinda cool and a great price!

I've been a regular of Feleenas since it opened, but I'm just not sure what the hell is going on there lately? Les (owner) told me he was selling the place, but the current management denies this. Agave is his other restaurant, haven't been there yet.

I'd say the food at Feleenas is pretty much the same over the years (same staff in the kitchen) but the service sucks now under these new managers. All I can suspect is that Les sold the place with an understanding that it be hush hush, as the clientele was part of the appeal of the deal....so nobody is talking. If anyone knows the truth, please let me know.

Al's Steakhouse n The Keg are definitly My n the Grl's place around here!

You guys ever tryed the Mongolian Village in Bells Corner, fun concept too!

You guys ever tryed the Mongolian Village in Bells Corner, fun concept too!

Yes, I enjoyed it. They have more of these type of places in the Seattle area that I had been to. This one was a little different but not in a bad way. Here the waitress brings your food when done, out west you wait for your food (and watch them prepare it) and carry it yourself.

For those unfamiliar, they have a buffet type setup only the food is all uncooked. You load up a big bowl with your choices of meats and veggies and noodles and rice. Then you pick your seasonings (in liquid form usually), I forget if they have this here but there are signs with how much of which to use to make certain flavours. You then take the bowl to one of several chefs who put your chosen items on the grill and cook them while you watch. IF I remember correctly you pay per weight.

If you don't like the food it's your own fault as you choose what they cook for you. Nice and fresh, lots of choices and new things to try. I recommend for a nice change of pace.

JP's Fries at the Canadian Tire on Merivale was my fave chip wagon. Besides good food (they have been voted best fries several years in a row) the shaved bald biker dude that served you was hilarious.

I noticed yesterday that it's been replaced by another chip wagon. Anyone know if JP's has moved or have they retired???? *shudder*

Don't recall if chip wagons have been mentioned prev in this thread but there's another good one at the Canadian Tire in Kanata off Terry Fox. Forget the name (Glen's???). Almost as good as JP. What's with CT having all these good chip wagons in their parking lots?

Glen's used to be across from the Canadian Tire that used to be on Richmond Road just west of Island Park, but was closed and torn down last year. Glen's won awards a number of times for best chip wagon.

When taking client's I almost always go the Moxie's.

Bella's is great!

There is a place down town called Japanese Village, and they cook the food in front of you. Food is great and the show is good too!

Went to the Moxies at Bayshore with my fave asian SP last week (her choice) and had my first subpar visit. She always asks me what steak to get (I'm sure she realizes the most expensive is usually the best but I think she likes to make me feel useful LOL) so I said the NY Strip. Sirloin was the only other option. If she hadn't chosen moxies i would have taken her elsewhere for steak. To me, NY is not the best to get, but it was the best they had. She always tries to pawn half her meal on me, as if i'm not fat enough, and while the steak was very tasty I was surprised how tough it was.

Backing up to our ordering, our rather attractive server informed of the chicken and ribs special which I ordered. A few minutes after ordering another attractive person with shapely legs a mile long came by to sadly inform me there were no more ribs. I went with the chicken enchiladas which while they weren't very mexican, they were very good in their own right.

While they did screw up a bit, the staff kept coming by to fawn over us (and give me a woody). So much that if they weren't so hot they may have become annoying. Ever try to eat with a woody that keeps getting refreshed every 2 minutes? LOL

While not a terrible visit, the worst I've had at a Moxies. Never thought I'd complain about too many boners there!

I love Derienzo's for my lunchtime sandwich! I also enjoy the Absinthe Cafe on Wellington, Big Daddy's,the fox and the feather on elgin if its a patio day. Not to mention the fabulous pho places up and down somerset. Oh and also a very hidden treat if your into take-out is Indian Express, wow I tell you it is not a restaurant but damn I feel like i'm sitting in the village watching water buffalos go by and munchin on my grandmothers home made grub.

I also have to say that Work's Burger in Westboro is one of the best lunch places in the city. I have so far tried 18 of their 65 odd burgers lol. Alas, I am a foody :-)

I love Derienzo's for my lunchtime sandwich! I also enjoy the Absinthe Cafe on Wellington, Big Daddy's,the fox and the feather on elgin if its a patio day. Not to mention the fabulous pho places up and down somerset. Oh and also a very hidden treat if your into take-out is Indian Express, wow I tell you it is not a restaurant but damn I feel like i'm sitting in the village watching water buffalos go by and munchin on my grandmothers home made grub.

I also have to say that Work's Burger in Westboro is one of the best lunch places in the city. I have so far tried 18 of their 65 odd burgers lol. Alas, I am a foody :-)

I have to agree with you on both Derienzo's and the Works. Derienzo's has some of the best sandwiches in town, and The Works has the best burger's by far!

I have to add a new favorite. I cant comment on the rest of the menu but I'm a very big Rack-Of Lamb fan...I have to say that Prime 360 has the best HANDS DOWN....i can only imagine what their steak is like!

I decided to eat at the bar as it was a quiet night when I went in and I was dining alone...plus I'm a big Social head and love chatting up with the bartender or anyone else there by themselves.

The bartenders name was Tina and Lovely woman probably in her late thirties or early fourties and was an absolute peach, The staff there was very proper, something I like to see and speaks wonders for the restaurant when I'm paying $40 for an entree

the lamb was SO GOOD that I almost wanted to get take-out of it the next day to eat at home and had to hold back and go to Yang Sheng on Bronson for my other favorite dish, their delicious (and much cheaper at 2.85 per plate) Steamed rice noodles, hehe

Hmmm Lamb is my favourite meat by far. I should check it out. That reminds me though, Does anyone know of a good Hot Pot or Shabu Shabu place in Ottawa? The best lamb I ever had was at a shabu shabu place and it was as thinly sliced as paper. 30-40 pieces wrapped up into little rolls. Threw them in the pot and dressed it up with whatever. Fond memories lol.

As for Italian food...try Bella's Bistro Italiano at 1445 Wellington Street West

Thx for the tip .... I was nearby and in the mood for italian. I checked their menu online and saw they had cannelloni, one of my faves and I had yet to find a good one in Ottawa. While it wasn't the best I've ever had, it is easily the best I've had in Ottawa. The place seems very busy, a good sign. The dishes being delivered to other tables looked great, I think I need to go back and try other items.

Not a cheap place, salad, cannelloni, 1 glass of wine, cappuccino, tiramisu ran $50 with tax plus tip. Small portions except for the salad but I'd say everything was just about right. I left very happy and satisfied. And surprisingly full. I complimented my server on the food and service and left a generous tip to show my appreciation.

Repeat yes. gonna have to rename this board CFRB. :smile:

Thx again Vulcan!

The best chinese reataurant is Yangsheng at the cornor of somerset and bronson. across from the bank of nova scotia.

You can see the fresh chickens hanging in the windows.:razz::idea::-o

Best Pizza Alladin Pizza on Mtl. Rd

Best Donair Romeo Donair at meadowlands and Merivale

Best fajita Derringers Vanier Parkway and Mtl Rd.

Best wings Derringers

Best candianna and french mixed Pepper Garden Mtl Rd. and Carson

Steak rest. its just off the main drag in a big house with 4 dining room and a large wine cellar great service I can't rember the name its in gatineau. its on the river almost .:-D Sterling Beef House and SeaFood

Edited by E.D. man
got name of place

The best Chinese I had in Ottawa is a place on the corner of Moodie and Robertson in Bells Corners called "Welcome Back". There is no Buffet, just menu, but it is good. Awesome egg rolls.

There is also a good Shawarma place in the same little strip mall, (Sahara Dunes, I think)