How to lose weight

The holidays are absolute murder on my waistline. I've grown a couple of belt notches. The older I get, the harder it is to drop the beef. Frustrating!

Wouldn't it be great if someone had the magic formula for weight loss. One can follow conventional wisdom: Exercise, Vegetables, Sleep, Repeat

I have four words for this:

Y

A

W

N

Why can't it be just as much fun to lose it as it was to gain it.

Never mind. Just a senseless rant.

But, just in case anyone has a magic formula - can you please share?

• Like 1

Yup, it is tough...but a necessary evil to find a balance to be able to live life to maximum potential...before it is too late. I have to cut back on bread and booze. Maybe let loose once a week. However everyone is different....

There is no secret sorry to say. You just have to burn more calories than you consume. As an over indulger and foodie who hates exercise, I simply cut back, not so willingly, when my gstrings become to tight. There are many formulas and supplements that can help with this some believe, but they all act differently from person to person. So the best advice would be to do some research, talk to your doctor or a health professional and like Shortcake said, lol, sexercise! best of luck.

Edited by cr**tyc***es
spelling

Intake of food is about 80-90% ofthe process it seems.

Carbs are the first thing to cut out...no bread, potatoes, NO Snack foods etc, and enter healthy eating with more protein (chicken breast, eggs, almonds etc), including supplement powder in a berry smoothie.. add a half a banana too (delicious).

Exercise is also important...build muscle as it burns more calories...even at rest. Aerobic exercise is good for you, and burns some calories.

Like "Weight Watchers" motto...eat less, move more.

Stick to it....you may lose some bigger numbers in early days but plan to lose about 2 lbs a week.

Guest S**a*Q

High protein, low carb, no booze, don't eat anything white (except cauliflower... and semen for the ladies) ;) and drink lots of water.

I'm working on toning up as well. The booze is what gets me. I eat SUPER healthy, but I love my beer. I just have to say no from here on in I think.

I've started weight lifting again, as more muscle will help burn more calories at a resting metabolic rate.

I'm also swimming, since cardio is what you need to do to burn away fat.

I've heard that cinnamon can help with belly fat, while it's hard to choke down a teaspoon of cinnamon, you can get cinnamon supplements from the drug store.

I just picked up the book 4 hour body by Timothy Ferriss, while it's pretty hard core information, I like that it gives you a free day where you can eat (or drink) anything you want.

That's all I have for now. :D

Its as simple as energy going in vs energy going out. sex is my only excersise so i'll cut my food intake in half and adjust here and there depending on how i feel. Works simply and quickly. 2 to 3 pounds a week until i'm happy again with my weight. Also make sure you sleep well and do things that make you happy (excluding eating cheesies)

Ha..losing weight is not that hard...keeping it off is the hard part.

For the guys

I suggest that you lose 30-40lbs, then get in over your head with some beautiful ladies here on CERB that are much younger than you...they will flatter you, and you will like it...a lot, and be motivated to eat healthy and exercise like a fiend to maintain your new physique....There you go...sounds easy enough doesn't it?

Edited by Hector17
spelling
  • Like 2

Well I've tried diets in the past, yes they work, but sticking too them next to impossible. So now instead of diets, just start eating right. Cut out fatty foods (no more butter, no more ice cream for example) start eating more good food (fresh vegetables, fresh fruit, eat chicken, much less beef etc) and start exercising. For me that is walking. I haven't gone to WalMart yet, need to get a pedometer, and count how far I go each day.

But anyone interested, there is a social group started, Walking Cerbites

http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/group.php?groupid=169

Tomorrow, go to WalMart, start measuring my steps

RG

Tomorrow, go to WalMart, start measuring my steps

RG

Walking is great excercise, consider this as a means to kill two birds with one stone and Walk to Wal-mart! I love walking in the winter especially at night or early morning the brisk air is a motivator to step up the pace and it's a great way to discover your surroundings!

• Like 2

RG and I are going to do the 10000 steps program and use the social group to track our progress. I also still have to go get my pedometer.

But it's easy to start doing things like parking farther away from the mall entrance, and at the opposite end from the store you want to go to. Today we went to an art gallery, so I spent the day walking (although not quickly).

But man, cutting out booze ... that seems like a pretty steep price!!!!

Porthos

The only thing close to magic is Cardio, Cardio, Cardio. I have gone through a variety of them this past year and had my most fun with the upright bike. I just mount on it with my music on and keep going for an hour at an high intensity 3 to 4 days a week.

But like someone said earlier, everyone is different. Try out various forms of cardio exercises or equipments and if rusty, that is fine as your endurance builds if you keep up with it. this helps keep a steadily high metabolism to burn off fat as long as your keep your carb intake low.

I started off with just lasting 5 mins on the bike at the beginning of the last year but now im steady at 50 to 75 mins every other day.

The food part is quite important too. Just try to avoid raw sugars and carbs and go with more fibrous stuff like brown rice, unsalted nuts, oats.

As well high protein foods like salmon and chicken breast.

• Like 2

High protein diets like Atkins are the best! Never starving, lots of energy and losing weight is never a problem. That's the only diet I stayed on long term and I found all the low carb products to accomodate it. Good proteins and good fats are the main component of this diet.

If I didn't love sugar so much, I would be a stick but I've gotten better at staying away from that stuff in recent years and have maintained my weight by walking/running.

And for those who say it's dangerous, that's a bunch of b.s. It actually brought my cholesterol down by eating eggs with the yolks. It's processed foods/refined sugars that cause health problems.

I have been able to lose weight and keep it off for many many years (I was close to 200 lbs in 1999 and now only 165 lbs since the year 2000) because I have a strong motivation and that is to continue to attract younger ladies by looking younger which being slim as I am is a big part of it. My secret since I am too lazy to exercise is to eat less. I eat only twice, a breakfast at 6:00 am before work and a lunch/supper at 5:00 pm after work (and two calorieless coffees at work) and no snacks and no lunch. My calorie intake is equal or less than what I burn in 24 hours. Everytime I get hungry (and that is a lot of times) I am reminded that if I eat and get a big belly and a heavy face and hence I won't be able to attract young ladies and that overcomes my hunger very successfully.

Guest N***he**Ont**y

I have been successful in losing weight gradually by reducing the consumption of breads, and pastas and eating more greens. The best thing I find is reducing portion sizes of all your favorites to a minimum. If you have a craving satisfy it with a small portion and the urge goes away. I have gradually dropped five pounds a month for three months and now seem to be gradually losing the rest. I am down two waist sizes now!

Oh my where to start with this one. I have struggled all my adult life with my weight. I love to eat and drink and I hate to exercise.

I've tried every major diet program....

Weight Watchers three times. Got my key twice which means I reached goal weight.

Atkins twice. Successful once but not the second time.

Scarsdale....somewhat successful

GI Diet.....successful but put it all back when I injured myself and felt sorry for myself.

So now I'm older and carrying more than ever and am going to do something about it as per my New Years resolution.

Here's my plan. Eat better, Eat less and move more.

-I'm going to cut out all the usual suspects....fats, sugars, breads and pastas....BOOZE!! MOre fibre, fruits and vegies.

-I'm going to start walking more and I'm going to buy a bike this spring.

-I'm going to concentrate on a lifestyle change rather than a diet....eat fresh and healthy and get outdoors and moving my feet (and ass more).

-Slow and steady wins the race....big losses over a short time don't work...small losses over long time.

Well that's my plan for 2013...wish me luck!! :-)

• Like 1

It's all about diet for me. If I eat healthy, and work out regularly, I stay fit. If my diet slips, my exercise quickly follows, and I'll start to gain quickly.

So my 'tip' is just to eat well. Exercise. If you slip, don't let it start a downward slope but just recover and get back to healthy eating.

I work out all the time. However, I should be eating better. I saw the hungry girl diet on the Dr Oz show and it actually looks really good. It has normal stuff in the diet like pizza and cake and dare I say comfort food. The trick is that you put healthy food in as fillers. For example instead of using a full pound of hamberger for spagetti you would use half a pound and you would add mushrooms as you heathy filler. It looks really yummy and the protions are really big. That's sounds great because this hungry girl loves to eat.

http://www.hungry-girl.com/who-is-hungry-girl

Guest ***nsut***jr

I figure a good divorce lawyer could help me lose about 135 pounds.

Let me check on that.

I have been able to lose weight and keep it off for many many years (I was close to 200 lbs in 1999 and now only 165 lbs since the year 2000) because I have a strong motivation and that is to continue to attract younger ladies by looking younger which being slim as I am is a big part of it. My secret since I am too lazy to exercise is to eat less. I eat only twice, a breakfast at 6:00 am before work and a lunch/supper at 5:00 pm after work (and two calorieless coffees at work) and no snacks and no lunch. My calorie intake is equal or less than what I burn in 24 hours. Everytime I get hungry (and that is a lot of times) I am reminded that if I eat and get a big belly and a heavy face and hence I won't be able to attract young ladies and that overcomes my hunger very successfully.

Lol, that's a good motivation - to attract younger ladies!

The main idea in losing weight is of course - you need to consume less than you burn in terms of calories. You can burn extra calories by exercising, or sexercising as some folks here recommended, lol. For me, I try to eat right, ie. less fats such as butter, ice-cream etc., less meat especially beef, more lean cuts of meat, fish and chicken, lots of fresh fruits and leafy greens, and a small amount of nuts. I exercise regularly by playing golf, tennis, swimming etc in summer, and in the winter, ice-skating, skiing etc.

For me, like most people I guess, motivation/discipline is the biggest challenge. But like CH, this hobby is the best motivation for me. :icon_biggrin: