What do you think is the best city to live in (in Canada)

Where i would like to live would be in Vancouver, awesome place. I've been a bunch of times and love it there.

Now is it the best place?...hard to say. It's always rated highly in best city polls.

Ottawa offers a cheaper place to live with a good quality of life, reasonably speaking. I like it here and compared to other cities in the country i think we're pretty luck, not too big and not too small...no offense to others, just my opinion...but there are some great cities in Canada that each offer something unique.

Kelowna, BC is spectacular if you can afford it.

Four season playground with world class skiing at Big White or Silver Star, zillions of golf courses, a beautiful lake, miles and miles of accessible wilderness to explore in the surrounding area, good shopping, many great places to eat.

It's a favourite for many professional athletes to live in during the off season and a great spot for vacation homes for wealthy folks from all over the globe. More millionaires per capita than most other Canadian cities.

It has an international airport and is a convenient distance to Vancouver or Calgary.

I could go on and on, lol. Lived there for 25 years before moving to the Vancouver area.

Montreal is a fun city to be with a great night life and restaurants and friendly multicultural society and open minded tolerent people and inexpensive housing however heavy traffic is the negative side of that city.

Ottawa too goes neck to neck with Montreal for being the right size and with reasonably inexpensive housing, not too heavy traffic, reasonably modest night life and of being the compromise size without the headaches of a big city and high crime rates and expensive housing associated with big cities but not being too small either to be dead without a life. It is an economically stable city with steady employment (even during a recession) and steadily rising home prices with low crime rates and reasonably large population.

I think it depends on what your looking for. I love big cities,culture and languages. I wanted a place where i would feel at home. A place where the people are open minded and friendly. I love where i'm from {Halifax} but just wanted more. I found it here in Montreal. Yes traffic is horrid and the roads are mafia made so not well done but the people are great..always lots to do and the metro is never far away.

Well although I don't live there, probably, if I had a choice, Peterborough would be one of my picks.

Why? First it is big enough but not too big a city

Second, both Toronto and Ottawa are a ok distance to drive to, important consideration for seeing ladies

Third, it's close to some good lakes and rivers for fishing

I'd actually consider moving there except it's just a little too far for going to and from work

RG

Guest N***he**Ont**y

Peterbourgh is a lovely city and if I remember correctly it has Gunners Hill which over looks the lakes or is it the Trent Water way? I remember some very passionate nights on that hill after sunset!

I've lived in Kingston for over 20 years and I love it. It's not a big city but has lots of great restaurants, live music and live theatre. We have a nice waterfront and lots of lakes and conservation areas nearby as well. Housing is relatively cheap and the unemployment rate is fairly low. And if you want a little more excitement, Ottawa and Toronto aren't far away.

• Like 1

I've been fortunate to visit every Province and Territory in Canada and many cities multiple times. I love our country and the diversity of landscape, culture and society from coast to coast to coast. I can find positives in all places and things I wish could be improved upon. But if having to pick...I love the 2 coasts and would go for either Halifax or Vancouver or a small community just outside either city.

I've been on both coast many times, skipped through the prairies, but i always go back to either Ottawa, Montreal or Québec City as places to live in.

Ottawa, while some may find boring, is great for cycling, skying, and is not that far from Montreal. I find it's a pretty green city (lots of parks in the middle of downtown, the Canal etc ...)

I think it depends on what your looking for. I love big cities,culture and languages. I wanted a place where i would feel at home. A place where the people are open minded and friendly. I love where i'm from {Halifax} but just wanted more. I found it here in Montreal. Yes traffic is horrid and the roads are mafia made so not well done but the people are great..always lots to do and the metro is never far away.

Montréal is indeed great for it's diversity among other things, i dont think i'd ever be bored, and no need for a car while on the island. Québec City is great for the history (Old Québec City and it's winding streets and colonial buildings ....)

• Like 1

It all depends on what you're referring to in terms of best city to live in... Aside from the hefty standard of living, Vancouver is beautiful. I found the people out there to be so laid back and never uptight or in such a hurry.

This is how Emma ended up in Montreal !!! True story ;)

One hundred Cape Bretoners are travelling on a bus heading towards Edmonton, AB, they pass a sign by Montreal that says Maximum 90, so 10 of them jump out. Emma jumped first.............

ps....She loves me !!! Right Emma ??? Emma !! ??? ha

Right the topic....Brandon ! We have a Five Guys burger joint !!

• Like 1

Because I cannot ever consider living anywhere with extreme weather, I have to say Vancouver. But also because visually it is stunning, even if you are not just downtown Vancouver, but in the burbs. There is a road that has a straight view to the mountains that can't be beat. I can see Mt. Baker on a very clear day from my balcony, but if it isn't clear, I still see the mountains, and the Fraser river, especially in the winter because in the spring the really fantastic trees are filled with leaves and can block my view.

But if you did live downtown, and I did for several years, you would have the ocean, the mountains, and Stanley park with the seawall. And one of the most interesting pools perched on the edge of the beach almost, so full the water almost seems to overlap the edge of it.

If you were born in such a place, or close to it, i don't think you could possibly live bound by land or not shadowed by mountains. I agree tho that this is a place for people who enjoy a laid back kind of life, but also something outdoorsy more than a cultured urban jazzy thing. But multi culturally speaking, I don't think there are many places that can beat the very diverse neighbourhoods.

Having visited, Vancouver,Winnipeg,Calgary,Montreal,Toronto,Kingston, Quebec City, Moncton,St.John,Halifax and Charlottetown. It is a very hard decision, to say which is the best to live.

But in my travels I thoroughly enjoyed the east coast hospitality in the four cities I visited and if I was to retire I would seriously look at summer home in Charlottetown or Halifax.

I found both cities very charming,easy to commute and very friendly people and to be that close to the ocean would be a great place to retire.

Kingston would be a close third, with the waterfront and scenic downtown core.

I should say I really love Ottawa and living here, I'm looking at it from a retirement point of view.

Edited by PistolPete
added
  • Like 1

Guest N***he**Ont**y

I am going to have to say Sudbury because of the lifestyle we have here. The city is not to big and not to small. People are still approachable here. We are the City Of Lakes and I can walk down the street to go for a fresh water swim in a clean lake or go fishing Winter and Summer.It is a very big hockey town with an OHL Team that actually fills up the arena every game. Cross country sking trails here as well. Shopping is first rate as well .Sudbury is the Nexus for people going East To West when travelling by road. This means we get to see the lovely Ladies of Cerb frequently as they pass through East to West and vice versa. Of course this is my personal opinion but being well travelled for now I will say this area is the best in the country

I have been forturnate over the years to have traveled extensively and my fav city pic would be Kelowna

Charlottetown - in the summer would be pretty cool too

• Like 1

I doubt that there will be a consensus on best city in Canada but certainly there are many cities with their own unique benefits.

I know that I really love Montreal as a place to visit. Ottawa has become a more recent place that I have visited regularly and I love its energy while it has so much history and all sorts of green space along with walking and biking trails. Halifax is a beautiful city and my minimal time spent in St. John's will be treasured.

However for me, there is no city that I would choose to move to at the moment. I love my little rural property that is only a half hour from Charlottetown and a relatively short hop to Halifax or Moncton so I have the best of both worlds.

I've never actually lived anywhere outside if Nova Scotia. My favorite Canadian city to visit is definitely Montreal. Great night life, lots of good craft beer (with a distinctively Belgian influence) and a diverse culture. (plus they really like their sex clubs!)

A close second would have to be Vancouver. I'm told that the cost of living is disproportionately high though. (which is something to consider when looking at places to live as opposed to places to visit.)

Halifax does have a lot to offer though. Big enough that you have access to everything a bigger city has, but without having to sit in traffic for three hours a day!

Edited by Mikeyboy