Thanks waterat. I think that Barbs went too far with the City bylaw, I mean both Barbs and Barefax are in the same city so if having CRs like the ones t Barefax is legal then it should be legal at Barbs too. Besides no city bylaw asks for cameras in the CRs that Barbs have!!!.

Batbs management obviously making a mistake and if they are reading this, then be advised that the only way to prevent the demise of your bar is to act now and spend a few thousand bucks and make your CRs reasonably private and remove cameras or see your customers moving to other bars as I may have done so already after 10 yaers being a customer of barbs moving to Barefax even though I don't really like the settings (two floors, the air, the downtown location) at Barefax.

I have basically stopped going to Barb's, with rare exception. When the by-law changed Barb's set-up the worst CR of the group of clubs within Ottawa and I slowly started to move away at that time.

I tend to be about once, maybe twice a week when I am on a SC mode, and Barb's was my place of choice, certainly for lunch. I now tend to do Barefax for lunch and Playmate evenings. It's their call, and if the building is actually being sold as seems to be indicated, even if that is a couple of years out, the management likely won't be interested in spending any extra money. They still have a great location by a number of large hotels, and location is important, however you still need to put a good show on.

Guest New B**ce

the cr isn't the best but it's never stopped me from having a good time there

the women are awesome and that's the ticket to having fun

I still find Barb's is my favourite. While I don't like the CR's there I still enjoy the ladies at Barb's. I actually don't know (nor do I care) where the cameras are....... Don't they simply record when you entered the CR area and how many songs later you left?

EVERY club has cameras in their CR, Barb's are just more obvious than the others. The cameras are most often used to sort out disputes between customers and dancers over the correct number of songs. Yes, the CR at Barb's could do to look less like a cattle pen, but it shouldn't be stopping anybody from having fun. In fact, it may also be partly responsible for the quality of the girls at Barb's. The lack of privacy limits the amount of extras going on in the CR, which is a big plus for some girls who don't want to feel pressured into doing extras if that isn't their gig.

• Like 2

The issue is not that much of cameras as I am not asking for anything extra to be overly concerned about cameras there but the fact that CRs at Barbs are completely open. No privacy at all especially if there is another dancer is dancing right beside yours they can even hear the conversation!!!!. Customers are paying for private dancers and they don't get it period. Nobody can force anyone to do extras, cameras or not. Open or not. The girl can always complain to the management.

I also don't agree that part of the reason that there are some quality dancers at Barbs is because of cameras or open CRs. When the CRs were private between 2001 to 2008 also there were many great quality dancers at Barbs. Likely more to do with location being at the center of Capital's business and govenment and next to most popular hotels in the Capital for visiting business people. If it was in Varier, likely it wouldn't have been filled with great looking dancers.

Concerns were raised in many previous posts in this thread that Barbs has become very quiet recently. We are making suggestions here as for possible reason(s) so that Barbs management may listen and act. The general indicated that he has virtually stopped going to Barbs affer this cattle pen like CRs and I am likely next. I visited Barefax the other day and felt the privacy of CRs there and likely will switch to Barefax too if Barbs stays as is. btw, I saw many good looking dancers at Barefax too and they have more private CRs and more light in the CRs but I dislike the two floor structure and the unfresh air and downtown location at Barefax.

I visited Barefax the other day and felt the privacy of CRs there and likely will switch to Barefax too if Barbs stays as is. btw, I saw many good looking dancers at Barefax too and they have more private CRs and more light in the CRs but I dislike the two floor structure and the unfresh air and downtown location at Barefax.

I don't push the limits with extras, but I do appreciate the privacy of the setup at the fax.

For me, the downtown location is convenient during the day. Regarding the air, it adds character and is part of its charm. ;)

Guest Ni**t*****t

I agree that the location at Barbs is great not only for the dancers but for us customers too. I normally go in the evening and parking is always easy to find... try that in the market.

I think the issue is with the way too open CRs. Definitely overkill when the bylaw came out. I am convinced that if the club went back to more private CRs it would resolve the issue and many beautiful girls that have left would come back... so would the customers. It would certainly regain its reputation and become one of the busiest clubs in the area again. This would be good for the dancers, customers and of course the owner.

That said, how do we get the message to the owner? And if we do, will he care? he has a bit of a reputation... I hear a lot from the dancers and staff... Can we do something as a group? I mean sending the message to the owner, letting him know the reason we think long time customers are moving away, why many great girls have left, etc... just a thought. Any ideas?

Good point Nightflight. A lot of Barb dancers know about cerb and the SC section and in my mind I assumed that there is a good chance that Barb owner is aware of this thread too but maybe I was too presumptuous?. Good point though how to pass the message to Barbs management. Maybe by starting to let the dancers know (when they complain about lack of crowd or the fact that most don't make money as they used to?) Open to suggestions fellow cerbites.

Guest Ni**t*****t

maybe we can find a way to send the owner a message as a group. He will not listen to an individual but a group carries a lot of weight. my two cents.

Well first off thanks for the attempt Reddog. Obviously he has a thick head and/or might have misunderstood our reasons being for more privacy for so called private dances to thinking that we are asking for extras which most of us will never do (totally illegal in a public place). Also he clearly failed to see our positive intentions for making CR change recommendation to save this favorite club from possible demise!!.

Apparently he doesnt mind losing his customers (and money) to other clubs either, as this has been the trend recently. He may not know it but he is also losing some high quality dancers to other clubs or may be he does but he doesn't care? Anyways I for one will switch to Barefax as apart from Bridgette I don't have any favorite dancer at Barbs whom I cannot see in other club(s).

As for Barbs CRs, though nothing will happen in near future and they still will be able to attract both quality dancers and customers sole credit to their location rather than good management or business decisions, however, I see a good chance that eventually the message will get across and hit them, in a hard way!!.

Edited by Capital Hunter

I rarely go anymore due to the layout, and this attitude doesn't encourage me any more. The location was idea for me for a lunch break, but have maybe gone once in the last year for lunch.

Perhaps if some of the star ladies left, that might really wake up the bosses. But, some guys just are stubborn, and sounds like that is the case at Barb's.

Well first off thanks for the attempt Reddog. Obviously he has a thick head and/or might have misunderstood our reasons being for more privacy for so called private dances to thinking that we are asking for extras which most of us will never do (totally illegal in a public place). Also he clearly failed to see our positive intentions for making CR change recommendation to save this favorite club from possible demise!!.

Well... are all of his customers on CERB? Are they all perfect gentlemen in the CR? I suspect not.

I don't really know much about what demographics go to SCs, or how often, or how much $$$ they spend while they're there... but it wouldn't surprise me to know that there are plenty who will take and do whatever they can get away with irrespective of the long-term impact on the dancers and the club, especially once the drunken bachelor parties arrive at the weekend. It's probably not unwise for him to have some defensive measures in place against this sort of thing. We can debate whether or not the pendulum has swung too far, but I can see how complete privacy in the CR could be open to abuse.

• Like 1

Between 2001 and 2008 I was a regular at Barbs (once or twice a week) and made friends with many dancers there (almost all gone) and exchanged news and info with. The CRs were completely private, though I seldom heard of sexually related abuses by customers but I did hear about customers refusing to pay enough or being rough (scratching with nails for example) or having bad hygiene.

There are regulations in place in the club not to mention the very clear law in place that money exchange for sex or solicitation in public place are both criminal so both are clear deterrence. I do agree with you that in spite of all these abuse is still possible. So may be more enforcement of the existing club regulations rather than making a cattle pen like totally open CRs would be a better answer.

It was the city bylaw that made them to change the CR and they did go too far with it so what the guy is saying that if it was up to him he would have returned to table dances (which by the way were $5 per song and not $20) and rejecting proposals without listening shows some attitude on his part which btw having attitude towards customers has been a long time issue with Barbs staff (not dancers).

Edited by Capital Hunter

There are regulations in place in the club not to mention the very clear law in place that money exchange for sex or solicitation in public place are both criminal so both are clear deterrence. I do agree with you that in spite of all these abuse is still possible. So may be more enforcement of the existing club regulations rather than making a cattle pen like totally open CRs would be a better answer.

If the CRs weren't as open but there was to be more enforcement of the existing club regulations, that would mean a much more obvious bouncer presence with them having to get much closer to each couple to see if anything extra is going on. As it stands, they can just do a quick walkthrough of the CR while glancing around the booths, resulting in their presence barely being noticed. Personally, I think that's much less invasive.

For what it's worth, the 'cattle pen' set-up is really only noticeable late at night when it's very busy. During the afternoon and even early evening, it's not rare to be the only couple in the CR, giving you complete privacy. Whenever another couple comes in, they generally take a booth on the other side of the CR - never right nearby another couple.

While I did enjoy working at the Barefax and their more private CRs, they had a lot more 'funny business' going on. In my summer there, I had exponentially more attempts of sexually related abuses than I have ever had in my 2 years at Barb's. I had even less during my few months at the NuDen, and at the time they had very open dance booths. As a dancer, feeling safe is important to me and lets me enjoy what I do. While attempts of sexually related abuses are rare at Barb's, it's still reassuring to know that it wouldn't be hard for the bouncer to notice and help me put a stop to it if someone was getting particularly forceful.

Just to give a perspective from the dancer end.

Edited by Bridgette
  • Like 2

I did go to Barefax again this afternoon instead of the usual Barbs (Christmas time so it is easy to sneak out from work) and I had a fantastic time. The time I had in the bright totally private CR with LONG songs was my best in the llong time and no comparison with Barbs. If you wish to read about the GFE dancer I met (Nothing extra just lots of huggings and really emotional kissings in total privacy of CR), read the Barefax review thread.

Edited by Capital Hunter

Actually I have been thinking about this and the posts by Bridgette and Phaedrus and maybe it is a good thing that we have at least one bar with open CR like Barbs so that those ladies who wish to be dancers only and feel safe have at least one place safe to dance without being pushed by minority forceful or drunken patrons and that will be Barbarellas as a safe haven free from possible abuses.

A dancer has the right to work as dancer and earn a living without having to do what she does not want or feel like it and do what does not qualify as dance and right now it appears that Barbs is the place for it. Those who wish to provide extras can move to other bars as well those patrons who like total privacy like me or want extras like some minority others can move too to other bars.

I will be coming back to Barbs maybe in a few months but for now I think the change to Barefax and Pigale works for me fine.

CH, I doubt the ladies at Barb's get less propositions or advances than other clubs, but easier to resist, and regulars get to know where things stand. Likewise, many ladies at other clubs have same limits that Barb's supports, but perhaps the peer pressure is a lot higher.

Anyway, each club has its uniqueness, and one of the advantages of Barb's is its location to a number of major hotels. Are out of town visitors more behaved?, not too sure about that, they may be the more challenging guys to hold back.

Actually I have been thinking about this and the posts by Bridgette and Phaedrus and maybe it is a good thing that we have at least one bar with open CR like Barbs so that those ladies who wish to be dancers only and feel safe have at least one place safe to dance without being pushed by minority forceful or drunken patrons and that will be Barbarellas as a safe haven free from possible abuses.

A dancer has the right to work as dancer and earn a living without having to do what she does not want or feel like it and do what does not qualify as dance and right now it appears that Barbs is the place for it. Those who wish to provide extras can move to other bars as well those patrons who like total privacy like me or want extras like some minority others can move too to other bars.

I will be coming back to Barbs maybe in a few months but for now I think the change to Barefax and Pigale works for me fine.

CH, I doubt the ladies at Barb's get less propositions or advances than other clubs, but easier to resist, and regulars get to know where things stand. Likewise, many ladies at other clubs have same limits that Barb's supports, but perhaps the peer pressure is a lot higher.

Anyway, each club has its uniqueness, and one of the advantages of Barb's is its location to a number of major hotels. Are out of town visitors more behaved?, not too sure about that, they may be the more challenging guys to hold back.

You may be right General. I was thinking the same way, however, I am basing my latest comments on what Bridgette wrote in her post and to my understanding she was saying she had a much harder times with sexually related abuse cases at Barefax (and that is not acceptable) and relatively much fewer cases at Barbs because of the open CRs. So that statement coming from a dancers who worked at both places made me thinking and reassess my earlier statements calling for privacy at CRs. Also it is likely logical to think that patrons in the CRs behave themselves more (the minority aggressive or drunken ones) when everybody can see their every move like at Barbs.

I was a bit bored last night so headed in for a beer and some scenery. Man it was not up to the usual Sunday standards I've witnessed in the past. Very slow and no familiar dancers at all. The ugly weather, more than likely, played a part, but still disappointing. I left and headed across the river hoping for more action.

I must say, due to recent comments on this thread regarding some of the ownership and their hospitality prowess,, if it wasn't for some of the weekday regular ladies, (whether they be full or part timers), I doubt I'd go to Barbs at all anymore!

I've been a consistent regular since 2004, however lately like others here, (and I'm honestly sad to say this), I'm starting to find better options to quench my SC thirst.

Guest Ni**t*****t

I have been a regular at Barbs for more than 10 years. I totally understand that the girls there can feel safer with the open CRs. However it seemed like there was a need for more privacy from threads last week.

I do not have a problem with the open CR concept as long as we agree that we will keep going to Barbs to see our lovely dancers.

I just got a text from a girl who has been working at Barb's for 5 years and she said she cannot pay her rent, cannot make ends meet because the place is so dead...

Either we push Mr Personality Pierre the owner to give us better CRs or we do with what is there and keep encouraging our favorite girls now. They will leave is the club is empty all the time.

I guess it comes down to us going to see our favorites then.

I completely understand your sediments Nighflight. I have been a regular Barbs customer for 10 years too. And I hate to witness it going down. Cerbites commented post after post on how quiet Barbs has become recently in this thread. I proposed having a more private CRs as a possible way to reverse the demise and started a debate on the subject last week and several cerbites posted and agreed that having more private CRs may help to attract more crowd. One of our friends conveyed (or tried to convey) that message to Mr. Personality which apparently has a thick head and totally unconcerned about his customers' legitimate needs (I say legitimate because we pay for private dances and we deserve to get what we pay for).

Witnessing that apparently logic doesn't pay off with Barbs stuff then I proposed maybe he can learn in time the hard way as he will gradually lose his customers and his best girls to other clubs as apparently has been the trend. I said that I follow other customers and change to another bar as I have done so already. But later proposed that Barbs stays as is because one popular (and our favorite) dancer posted from a dancer's perspective and spoke of sexually related abuse cases when CRs are not open in the other clubs. That statement hit me hard in my conscious and reversed my earlier statements saying that we need at least one bar which provides a more conservative comfort levels for some dancers who need it so Barbs should stay as is.

That said however, we can't have it both ways in my view. Some of us can't spend our hard earned dollars in a place where what we get is attitude from owner rather than the privacy we pay for and ask for, knowing that we can have what we ask for, in other clubs not far from Barbs. Our favorite dancers of course can move too if they don't really make any money (which I doubt that it is that bad btw) as a few have done so already however they can't have it both ways either. It is my view that safety is above all. If open CR does provide the safer environment you desire, then my suggestion is by all means stay where you feel safer as there is NO dollar value on safety. As for hobbyists to support your favorite dancers at Barbs by all means, I commend you on your intent and wish you all the best.

Edited by Capital Hunter

I have been a regular at Barbs for more than 10 years. I totally understand that the girls there can feel safer with the open CRs. However it seemed like there was a need for more privacy from threads last week.

I do not have a problem with the open CR concept as long as we agree that we will keep going to Barbs to see our lovely dancers.

I just got a text from a girl who has been working at Barb's for 5 years and she said she cannot pay her rent, cannot make ends meet because the place is so dead...

Either we push Mr Personality Pierre the owner to give us better CRs or we do with what is there and keep encouraging our favorite girls now. They will leave is the club is empty all the time.

I guess it comes down to us going to see our favorites then.

Tend to agree with this view. To be honest, though, I say this as an afternoon/early evening clubgoer when the issue of the CR layout/configuration is not typically that much of an issue (as pointed out by Bridgette in a previous post).

It's certainly understandable that the situation seems less than ideal (to say the least) when the CR gets busy and crowded.

In any case, I'm planning to drop by to see a fave this week - hope others will do so as well.

• Like 2