It was a tough week in the chat room!

Online chatting can be a great thing, but without the benefit of hearing the tone of voice of the speaker, or seeing the facial expressions, it is very easy to send or receive the wrong message. I was reminded of this TWICE this week.

On 2 separate occasions this week, I was attempting to make a joke and ended up horribly offending someone. My unintended "victims" are 2 of the nicest and most amazing women I have met through cerb and I would never mean to hurt them. I feel like such an ass!

Now I'm wondering if I have also offended others too and just didn't know about it. I hope not!

• Like 3

Online chatting can be a great thing, but without the benefit of hearing the tone of voice of the speaker, or seeing the facial expressions, it is very easy to send or receive the wrong message.

Yup, well said!

A failed whisper can be taken out of context as well, because others have not read the entire conversation. IMO, occasionally (not often), some are very quick to critize others, even when they are not part of the conversation.

O well, I've been fortunate to meet several awesome women for sessions after meeting them in the chat room. Hoping to meet many more.

... As you all kniw I love to chat.., I have never taken offence to comments.., I always try to look at conversations as a fun time..., even if you dont see somepnes face expressions or hear their tone of voice.., you are having a context within the conversation you are having..., so my policy is always to look at the positive and fun side of the conversation... members of CERB are not children, is an adult site and adult conversations will happen.., maybe if you are not ready to hold that kind of conversation.., and take offence easily..., maybe.., chat room is not the best place... I love the chat room, and always have great times on it! Cheers!

• Like 1

Guest *l**e

I don't think I've ever "offended" anyone , per se, but I have been the dumbass who who whisper fails all the time. You know, you are having a private chat with a lady via whisper and a comment that was intended for specific eyes ends up public to all.

Mostly it ends up being funny and a bit embarrassing, but nothing serious.

LOL...! I think we all have whisper fail... Its happen to the best of us..., even to me! Can you belive that? LOL. And yes.., it just becomes a funny situation, it makes minds wonder lol and imaginations run WILD??? Wooohooooo! Naughty thoughts of nauthy people LOL Gotta love it! ;-) ;-) ;-)

Guest N***he**Ont**y

Yyes whisper failure can be rmbarasding but very funny too.

Tea and crumpets only please ;D

wait ... sometimes I do go over the line and make ridiculous comment but no harm was ever intended :)

sorry if I made anyone upset ... I never meant it hahaha.

• Like 3

It is always one of the great challenges of the bantering that goes on in life. We tease, we joke, and suddenly we take that misstep that lands the foot in the mouth. Been there, done it.

Woody, knowing you, you are always a gentleman, and an occasional misstep happens, but since you are well known and it is out of character, you no doubt have been forgiven... Keep having fun, my friend.

• Like 6

One of the reasons I don't chat a lot is because it can move fairly quickly and I'm not a great keyboarder. It's like email, take a moment before hitting the send button, you can't take it back. Also the written word can be easily misinterpreted unless you are very careful.

I am the King of whisper fails. I promise myself I wont whisper fail, but it always seems to happen at terrible times!! I hope I didnt ever offend anyone, no one has said I have so far!

Happy Chatting to All!

This is the #1 reason I stay out of chat. When I post in a thread, I have the opportunity to reread what I've said, what others have said then think about it. I try to see it thru other filters and interpretations. When I don't have that chance, I seem to carry a really big stick when I don't intend to. My daughters call it "The Cat's Bite" and I've learned to soften it but it takes time which there is none of in chat. Everything moves soooo fast. I can see how easy it would be to write something that would be easy to misinterpret...

cat

Lack of subtly and nuance can make email and chat difficult and allows for easy misunderstandings so when it comes to this game I avoid it as much as possible. I find the 140 character limit with twitter more fool (idiot) proof for me :)

Peace

MG