I get so annoyed when I am on the fence about topics! It bothers me to no end! Like I will think on it all day! It seems to happen more often then I like:(

Am I naturally a indecisive person? Maybe....

or is it that I like to look at too many angles all at once?

Maybe too observant?

Grrr, like in the paper today for Fredericton, there are 3 men with charges for street solicitation, their chargers are dropped, but yet I can not seem to find a 100% decision on how I feel about it. I read and read about how other think, try to take it in, but still on the fence!

( NOT JUST THIS ISSUE, THIS IS JUST ONE EXAMPLE, LOL)

How do you filter between what is truly your belief/impression? I mean I read one comment and say " YES!!' then I read an argument against...and say...

" YES!" Then I just get confused!

anyways....still trying to sort it out, I am not wishy washy, but I do tend to see too many points all at once:(

Don't know if many other's here get the same confusion. I mean I hate for PPL to think I am just a "yes" person to everything lol...

thanks for listening:)

• Like 2

It's too cumbersome to have a strong opinion about everything. A lot of the times I know that I need more information to completely asses the situation, information that I won't get just by reading the paper, or watching the news.

One example in Toronto that's a very complicated topic is a runway extension for a downtown Airport which is on an island. Issues range from jobs, economics, taxes to noise, pollution, viability. Proponents from both sides who know what they are talking about have excellent points, otherwise a lot of people are spewing nonsense or basic talking points. I know that the situation isn't completely clear, and I don't have all the information to really decide one way or the other yet.

• Like 5

Nothing is ever black or white which is why some topics may be difficult to determine one's feelings about. Take your hesitation as a sign that you want to know more about the subject. It has you interested enough, it is worthy of investigation. I see that as an inquisitive mind and that's a good thing. Inquisitive people tend to not make brash decisions and tend not to impose their beliefs on others.

• Like 8

Sometimes what appears indecisive or wishy washy is in fact learning. Case in point...me. When I first embarked on this lifestyle, a wet behind the ears newbie one of the topics that came up was verification. Well my newbie opinion, and worth just that LOL was no way in hell does a lady have a right to know my personal information, my privacy is just too important to risk it. But in the course of reading CERB posts, not to mention my first encounter with a lady requiring verification, I learned this lifestyle is about ladies and gentlemen, and both of their needs and requirements. I learned the error of my thinking LOL and I'm now one of the biggest (ok maybe not biggest) proponents of verification. Was I indecisive or did I learn something and change my opinion

Anyhow, don't know if that helps, but a rambling for what it's worth

RG

• Like 3

I am often indecisive. I think it is common to have differing opinions about particular subjects. As Meg said, not everything is black and white. Don't be to hard on yourself or question your thoughts, having many is better than having none at all:) Sometimes weighing the pros and cons can bring about a conclusion for you, either way nothing to worry or feel bad about, you're good:)

• Like 4

Guest P*rry

From your post it doesn't seem that you're sitting on the fence. It looks more like new information has come your way and your position shifts. I don't see that as wishy washy. Instead, it shows that you not locked into one view.

Assessing the pro sand cons is always a positive, but in the end you make a decision. Of importance though is that you have confidence in your judgement, and can move on and be comfortable whether you have all he facts or are 100% sure. If you are presented by new information you can always revisit the issue.

• Like 4

I would rather have all of you stunning, sexy and erotic Ladies on my face!!

What do you mean I misunderstood? Ok let me look at the post again.

Oops, you meant fence!!

Damn I thought I had something there!!

Hugs

Tom

Theliquor

• Like 2

First let me say that I find sitting on the Fence tends to hurt my Balls..... That said I am the type of guy who tends to have an opinion on everything and am very willingly to share it. That generally means that I often express opinions on things that in reality I have no real interest in.

We learn from each other from hearing everyone's opinion on issues and as a result we may change his we feel... that's fine.

I like to remind people all the time that Opinions are like ASSHOLES... Everyone has one.

Share learn adapt and grow.

Just my Opinion

• Like 2

Am not trying to hijack this thread just want to share something related. When I read this string it reminds me of a few light quotes that I've shared / received with staff, friends and family over the years.

So and so

"never lets a few facts get in the way of a good story"

"never wastes time to get all the facts when he/she can jump to a conclusion first"

and my personal favorite,

"I don't yet have a fully formed opinion on the matter"

musings from an occasional fence sitter.....

• Like 2

being indecisive often just means taking time to think about something, rather than rushing to judgement. And yes, sometimes that means not being able to decide, precisely because the world is rarely black and white. If more people took the time to reflect, perhaps the world would be a little bit better off.

Porthos

• Like 4

There's nothing wrong with not having an opinion on something at all! And it certainly doesn't reflect a lack of effort on your part - I've often found that discovering more about something leads to less certainty about what my opinion is, rather than more.

Doubt is an inescapable element of the human condition.

• Like 2

Guest c**io**m7

I'm not quite sure what I think of this thread. I'm kind of on the fence about it.

I have often looked at situations such as this to be a sign of an open mind. Opinions can be swayed to either side of the fence when each side has valid and logical evidence to back up their positions.

I am drawn to people who can see, understand and appreciate both sides. The beauty is that not all things need definitive opinion.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn."

I'd say being on the fence and changing your opinion can be a sign of someone who is trying to act rationally, and that being willing to change your mind when new or better evidence/arguments come along is a good thing. In my experience those who tend to have a strong, unchangeable opinion on everything are not so much "strong willed" as stubbornly (annoyingly) fanatical.

• Like 2

Just read all of your comments with my morning coffee. I gotta say, you guys are so awesome! Your right, I can revisit and reflect on different topics and enjoy it as a learning mission. Now if I could figure out this fracking situation in NB hahaha...

Thanks every one, I remain perched on the fence until I decide to fly.

Guest P**aq

Sometimes you just have to sit in the fence a little while before everything comes to light and you can make an educated decision.

For some issues deciding on which side of the fence to come down on is based on an individuals personal beliefs, morality, and ethics. Some of these sorts of issues, despite the fact that ARE two or more sides to them are often very clear. Examples of this could be things as such as whether to support the death penalty or abortion. Those who may disagree with others on these sorts of topics often do so vehemently but it is difficult to argue or disagree with a anothers honest sense of moral issues.

For most other things there are often two or more sides, all of which will have their positive and negative points. As many have said here already, black and white decisions are often very difficult and the more one questions and learns and leaves an open mind then the better a final decision will be.

I love to see people analyze and critique and ponder and weigh the issues. As a former educator those are the qualities that I encouraged and when they developed in a student it was so cool to see enlightenment and confidence with the realization that as an individual you can be true to yourself and be your own person.

One is ALWAYS free to change their mind as new information comes to light.

Sitting on a picket fence can hurt your butt!

As others have mentioned, you can pick a side based on the information you currently have and later change your position when additional or new information is made available.

And there is no reason to pick either side - as Phaedrus mentioned, having no opinion on a subject is perfectly acceptable.

Should you paint your kitchen yellow or blue - I have no opinion, besides, I'm no interior designer so why would you care what my opinion is?

Often when people ask for your opinion/advice they are either wanting you to make the decision for them or to feel better about a decision they already made if your opinion matches their decision (e.g., "Do you like my new tattoo?").