Lets talk about restaurants

Halifax has it's share of great restaurants, where would you recommend going?

fine dining

casual fare

take out

Where ever you've had your best dining experience I'd love to hear about it. As a foodie I'm always looking for new places to try and to share with my clients-thanks:)

In Halifax there are a multitude of restaurants. In the fine dining category here are two suggestions, one that I have tried and the other that is still to be sampled.

Perhaps one of the finest meals that I have ever had was at The Five Fishermen in Halifax.

I have heard very good things as well about The Press Gang, though I have not yet had the pleasure of going there.

• Like 3

The fireside and upstairs at Saltys are two I love as well. I love the atmosphere at the fireside and the wait staff are great:) Dining at night upstairs at Saltys is very romantic, great view, good food and wonderful service.

• Like 3

Alot of good choices already given...

Some of my personal favorites are

Bicycle Thief (I recommend eating at the bar if you are alone)

The Press Gang (awesome raw bar)

Chives (good food, great place to bring a date)

2 Doors Down (same chef as Chives - more a a bistro ambiance)

Five Fisherman (good place for fish)

Love to visit Halifax, wish I had an excuse to go more often.

• Like 1

Guest cap***ck

Ms Curves,

Sitting opposite you always provides great views!

Agricola Street Brasserie

Epicurious Morsels

Piatto Pizzeria

From an Ontario boy who had two trips last year to the Maritimes. The highlight of the one trip (and the only highlight of both trips actually) was dinner at The Five Fisherman. The restaurant required reservations so we went to the oyster bar (a misnomer, it is a nice, no reservations required restaurant in its own right).

Meal was half a dozen raw oysters on the half shell, lobster for dinner washed down with Becks no alcohol beer and desert, can't remember what it was called, had blueberries :-) washed down with a decaf coffee

About the only good memory I have from the Maritimes, well my last two times to the Maritimes

RG

• Like 2

[quote

About the only good memory I have from the Maritimes, well my last two times to the Maritimes

RG

You'll have to come back RG there are lots of ladies here that would love to create great memories for you other than just it's great restaurants;)

• Like 1

You'll have to come back RG there are lots of ladies here that would love to create great memories for you other than just it's great restaurants:wink:

Cristy, I'm thinking you should definitely be getting a cut from the Provincial tourism budget!

As for restaurants, I'd say The Bicycle Thief is the best restaurant in the city at the moment.

For more casual fare Darryl's on Fenwick St. has good choice and good food.

For take-out...hmm, does grabbing an ice-cream from Cows count?

• Like 1

[quote

RG

You'll have to come back RG there are lots of ladies here that would love to create great memories for you other than just it's great restaurants;)

Thanks Cristy. Those last two trips were to visit my father in hospital and then attend his Celebration of Life after he passed away. Not to mention both times travelled out...via car, with the family, 4 adults and a 9 year old nephew cramped in a car, the trip from hell LOL

Nothing could have made those visits good, but I know there are a few ladies from the Maritimes who have caught my eye ;-) and certainly under better circumstances, an encounter could be arranged :-)

RG

• Like 1

My favourite haunts:

For fine dining, you can't beat The Press Gang. Wins for shear ambiance alone, and the food is amazing.

For sea food, as already mentioned The five Fisherman. Can't go wrong.

For Thai: Chabba Thai.

Favorite neighborhood restaurant: The Vines Pasta House. (For Dartmouth folks.) good food, great value. (Wine list a bit lacking.)

Pub: The Henry House. Best pub food in the city, and great beer list.

I'm getting hungry now.

• Like 1

OMG, No one mentioned A Mano?

My $.02

I think it's BY FAR the best place to eat in Bishops Landing (That includes Bicycle Thief)

• Like 1

I'll give a second for The Vines for the Dartmouth people or those from Halifax not scared to take a trip on the bridge. My favorite for brunch.

• Like 1

Vinnie's Pasta Bar - Hidden out of the way near the corner of Barrington and Inglis, Great affordable Italian food. Think Vines quality only a bit less expensive (I believe they were started by the same person). Best ceaser salad in the city.

Rock Bottom Brewery - Awesome craft beer, great atmosphere, and fantastic casual food. I love the staff here, so friendly.

McKelvies - My favourite seafood place. On the cusp of fine dining.

Pub - another vote for Henry House!

Drinks - Onyx has the best cocktails in town, although not quite as comfy as the Fireside. (But I hear they are moving to Argyle St...)

Niche is an honorable mention for an all around great dinner-party place. The food is great, and the live jazz makes for a great atmosphere.

Pizza - Salvatore at the Hydrostone!

Steak - Hamanchi Steak House. Not your traditional steak place, but so memorable! You HAVE to do the teppanyaki, so bring some friends!

• Like 1

Halifax has it's share of great restaurants, where would you recommend going?

fine dining

casual fare

take out

Where ever you've had your best dining experience I'd love to hear about it. As a foodie I'm always looking for new places to try and to share with my clients-thanks:)

Well all great suggestion, I can surely say the best kept foodie secrete in halifax is "Stories" on Morris Street; it is in the Halliburton House Inn. Unlike many restaurants that I have loved and love lost... it has some how maintained its consistency. Chef Scott Vail has been there since I started going over a decade ago. It is a small restaurant with a only a few waiters and kitchen staff so he is able to keep his finger print on all his dishes. (Tues -Sat)

Food made from scratch, to order and the menus regularly features favourites/repeats yet changes daily to accommodate what's fresh. A practice other places have started, but he was doing a decade ago when I became a regular.

If you love food, you have to go and please let me know what you thought! Worth noting they also have a private dinning room in back.

On a more causal tone I have been enjoying the new gastropub up by pizza corner, "The Stub run Goat. Knowledgeable staff, diverse professional client a land a great

Wine, beer and food menu. My so far favorite is the lobster club house sandwich with truffle salted hand cut fries. Large chunks of fresh lobster (entire claws) and veggies simply done, beautifully spiced. It in no way resembles the touristy chopped mayo saturated lobster sandwich normally seen.

• Like 2

You'll have to come back RG there are lots of ladies here that would love to create great memories for you other than just it's great restaurants:wink:

Cristy, I'm thinking you should definitely be getting a cut from the Provincial tourism budget!

As for restaurants, I'd say The Bicycle Thief is the best restaurant in the city at the moment.

For more casual fare Darryl's on Fenwick St. has good choice and good food.

For take-out...hmm, does grabbing an ice-cream from Cows count?

I agree with Darryl's. It's simple, consistent and nummy. By far the best burgers, pista sandwiches and old fashioned milk shakes around. Extra points for their salads, even the salads to sub for fries are amazing.

• Like 1

Vinnie's Pasta Bar - Hidden out of the way near the corner of Barrington and Inglis, Great affordable Italian food. Think Vines quality only a bit less expensive (I believe they were started by the same person). Best ceaser salad in the city.

Rock Bottom Brewery - Awesome craft beer, great atmosphere, and fantastic casual food. I love the staff here, so friendly.

McKelvies - My favourite seafood place. On the cusp of fine dining.

Pub - another vote for Henry House!

Drinks - Onyx has the best cocktails in town, although not quite as comfy as the Fireside. (But I hear they are moving to Argyle St...)

Niche is an honorable mention for an all around great dinner-party place. The food is great, and the live jazz makes for a great atmosphere.

Pizza - Salvatore at the Hydrostone!

Steak - Hamanchi Steak House. Not your traditional steak place, but so memorable! You HAVE to do the teppanyaki, so bring some friends!

if you are a beer fan the brewmaster at the Rock Bottom does a weekly small batch of experimental microbrew. it usually goes on tap between noon and two, sells out in a few hours.

• Like 1

Does nobody care about nutrition and health???

Best restaurant in Halifax by far - The Heartwood!!!

that being said, the Wooden Monkey, very health friendly.

Replied too many times to this thread, guess that shows where my priorities are!

• Like 1

this thread has made me hungry and I've never been on the east cost...hmmm maybe its time for a tour...

BJ

You'd be very welcomed and do very well, I'm sure:) come and enjoy.