Bed Bug Epidemic-Not A Joke

EMail I got today, I add the caveat that I did not check it on Snopes before posting

RG

.......................................-

A bit of information that you might like to know about. We have friends here in our community and one of their sons is an entomologist (insect expert), and has been telling them that there is an epidemic of bed bugs now occuring in America. Recently I have heard on the news that several stores in NYC have had to close due to bed bug problems, as well as a complete mall in New Jersey.

He says that since much of our clothing, sheets, towels, etc. now comes from companies outside of America, (sad but true), even the most expensive stores sell foreign clothing from China, Indonesia, etc. The bed bugs are coming in on the clothing as these countries do not consider them a problem. He recommends that if you buy any new clothing, even underware and socks, sheets, towels, etc. that you bring them into the house and put them in your clothes dryer for at least 20 minutes. The heat will kill them and their eggs. DO NOT PURCHASE CLOTHES AND HANG THEM IN THE CLOSET FIRST. It does not matter what the price range is of the clothing, or if the outfit comes from the most expensive store known in the U.S. They still get shipments from these countries and the bugs can come in a box of scarves or anything else for that matter. That is the reason why so many stores, many of them clothing stores have had to shut down in NYC and other places. All you need is to bring one item into the house that has bugs or eggs and you will go to hell and back trying to get rid of them. He travels all over the country as an advisor to many of these stores, as prevention and after they have the problem.

Alot of it has to do with the fact we have to find natural killing agents , which bedbugs are mostly resistant too. You can buy plastic coverings for your bed and box springs, which are best at keeping bedbugs from your bed. vacumming your bed will also help. but clean out your vacum after.

If we could go back to the old chemical DDT's we could kill out agtain. But the gov't is over protecting us.

I heard bedbugs were resistant to a certain chemical they used to killed them several decades ago??

Also if you've place luggage, handbags or gym bags on the floor in a public place, this is another way of having them enter your home. I leave all my bags in the garage off the floor and make sure they do not go any further.

Same thing with the sheets that I use at my incall locations. They are washed in a santized cycle in a front loading washing machine for a long time along with bleach. I also make sure they are packed in a plastic bag when I leave the incall and are immediately put in the wash when I go home. Nothing touches the floor.

Also if you let your pets outside, bedbugs can get in your bed or between the cushions of your sofa if you allow your dog or cat to jump up on either sofa or bed.

Recently, i went through pure hell because of my neighbour and the bed bugs. Her place was so dirty that all 5th floor of the building got infected with bed bugs. I had to stay at the hotel for about 2 weeks until my place was treated. Before the treatments, my body was covered with bites and it wasnt a very pleasant thing to endure. Atleast my hotel expenses and my new mattress were paid by the property manager.

Recently, i went through pure hell because of my neighbour and the bed bugs. Her place was so dirty that all 5th floor of the building got infected with bed bugs. I had to stay at the hotel for about 2 weeks until my place was treated. Before the treatments, my body was covered with bites and it wasnt a very pleasant thing to endure. Atleast my hotel expenses and my new mattress were paid by the property manager.

Miss J: You're lucky. A friend of mine who lives in a Minto building in the west end had his place overrun by bed bugs two summers ago. He had to throw out his mattress and launder everything. They paid to spray but certainly weren forthcoming with any compensation. He had to buy a new bed out of his own pocket.

Remember, a place does not have to be "dirty" to get bed bugs. My friend's place was clean to begin with. They were spread from other other apartments in the building. Once in, they spread like wildfire.

Yeah Angela I agree I was really lucky. I guess that wasnt real hell. After hearing the things that your friend went through, its nothing compare to him. I hope all is well with him. :) xoxo

Yeah Angela I agree I was really lucky. I guess that wasnt real hell. After hearing the things that your friend went through, its nothing compare to him. I hope all is well with him. :) xoxo

Same Happened to me ... 2 of my neighbors in Montreal had bed bugs invasion ... they had to put their mattress in the garbage and many other things ... The landlord did 2 treatments in the complete building ... In every appartment.

But I've been lucky because the invasion didn't come in my appartment ... even still I have follow the same instructions in case ... like I hade to wash with hot water everything wich was in materiel in the appartment ... and put all my clothes, sheets and + in plastic bag and wash again and put in the dryer ... what a job!! I was so mad about my neighbors! I'm the one who's travelling the most in the building but damn I'm always careful when I go back home ...

I get undressed as soon as I get in my appartment ... put all my clothes and lingerie in the washer with hot water right away and I go take a very hot shower. After I put some stuff (the same of my landlord shooted on my bed) on my baggages. I'm kinda freak but I prefer that to the invasion.

I learn about it in the news one day. The places where they might accommodate travellers can most commonly be affected and perhaps some appartement building complex. The exterminator is usually called right away. For those who might have this problem, here are some other way and natural remedies to get rid of these tenacious intruders. It is said to be efficient and not that costly. Some people can report infested hotels and buildings in the internet in dedicated website.

Rubbing Alcohol:

While not a definite fix, spraying rubbing alcohol where bed bugs thrive may contain the problem by killing some on contact.

Fruit and vegetable Insecticides:

Some insecticides comprised of pyrethrins and canola oil are sometimes used by those who wish to lay down a home remedy that is safe for children and pets.

Steam Treatments:

It is not uncommon to see some pest control companies use steam treatments to deal with mattresses and other pieces of upholstered furniture. While very limited effectiveness is associated with this type of remedy, it shows great promise in treating items with less than ½ inch of penetration. At home, one may use small steam cleaners to care for their mattresses and other bedding selections.

Dry Heat:

Placing clothing, footwear, rugs, toys, stuffed animals, backpacks and other non-launderable items in the dryer for a certain length of time can conveniently remove bed bugs. When an average clothes dryer is run for five minutes at low, medium or high heat, they generate temperatures of about 140, 150 and 180 degrees (respectively). It is believed that when drying a bundle of infected clothes, high temperatures are able to kill bed bugs. It is suggested to run the dryer for more than 20 minutes.

Hot Sun:

Since temperatures over 113 degrees are said to kill bed bugs, it is suggested to wash and dry clothing and linens at high temperatures. When living in a hot desert climate, you may hang your bedding and clothes in the beaming sun to destroy lingering bed bugs. Bed bugs don't like sunshine light. They prefer darkness.

Boric Acid:

It is suggested to spread boric acid powder about the places where bed bugs choose to frequent, feed, and hide. This natural cure should never come in direct contact with a mattress or box spring. This remedy is often used to control the migration of bed bugs in a home.

Clean your car:

While you're treating the problem indoors, don't forget your car. Vacuum your car thoroughly and treat it with an herbal preparation or insecticide. You should treat your handbag and coats with an herbal spray to make them less attractive to bed bug freeloaders when you're out in public. Bed bugs aren't just hanging out in hotels. They're in restaurants, department store dressing rooms, movie theaters, busses and anywhere else people spend time. The more you can do to make yourself unattractive to them, the less likely it is that you'll inadvertently bring a few of these insect invaders home.

Black Walnut:

The National Park Service suggests that using the leaf teas consisting of black walnut provide an astringent effect, as well as serves as a decent insecticide against bed bugs.

Herbal Approaches:

There is a range of natural cures that people have used to treat their bed bug problem with varying degrees of success. A few suggestions is to try include spraying lavender, thyme, *tea tree, *neem (oil or infused leaf), henna powder or oil, rosemary and eucalyptus on bed linens, clothes and in other locations where people sleep in the house. Using these herbal sprays will help repel bed bugs. You can try lemon juice or apple vinegar as well. Add 20 drops of lavender essential oil to the final rinse when you wash your sheets, blankets and nightwear. Placing lavender flower buds in a sachet bag under your mattress and pillow will help too. You can also add lavender flower bud sachets to your luggage to discourage bed bugs when you travel.

• Like 4

Yeah, heat is the way to go. The dryer advice is good. Even when you want to eradicate bed bugs en masse from a room or building, the best way is just to fill the place with with heaters, close the doors, and leave it for a while. The bugs all dry up and die.

What's less admirable about that e-mail is the naked xenophobia (things come "...from companies outside of America, (sad but true)"). That's not sad, it's trade. Geez.

The message is only half about bed bugs; the other half is about how horrible "those countries" are. It's a well-crafted semantic virus -- it's encapsulated in a seemingly benign host ("bed bug advice!"), but once it has your interest and gets past your filters, it delivers its little package of prejudice, fear, and loathing ("those dirty foreign countries!"). Frankly if this message was true, I'd be most leery of anything coming from NYC.

No criticism of you though, Roamingguy -- I know you're just sharing it for the good part.

• Like 1

EMail I got today, I add the caveat that I did not check it on Snopes before posting

I have traveled the world and once ran out of pages in my passport and have run into the little critters on rare occasions but the funny thing is they always leave me alone and never bother with me.

Of course when returning home, everything in my suitcase is washed in hot water and it gets immediately treated with bug spray.

Has anyone else experienced this strange phenomena were they leave you alone?

Has anyone else experienced this strange phenomena were they leave you alone?

Are you especially hot? (And dry?) ;)

• Like 1

i seen that on tv before alot come from hotels and the 5 star ones at that

It's true... lots of international travelers. One woman woke up covered in welts and sued the hotel!