Nothing Like Being Woken Up by a Fake CRA Scam!

If I could have jumped through the phone at these guys, I would have lol. At 7 am this morning minutes before my alarm went off too! Grr! 

For a second time in 3 weeks I’ve received this call. CRA NEVER contacts a person by phone. I hung up on him in mid sentence. The number was from Calgary at 403-536-4072. Be careful and I’m sure everyone knows not to give any personal info over the phone. Perhaps I should have called back and done this..😂

Edited by Nicolette Vaughn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I hear you Nicolette... real pain in the ass.

CRA will never call that early and they will never request your personal information (they may ask questions to confirm your identity but never info that would put you at risk) and most important of all they will not ask you to pay over the phone by credit card or by iPhone cards or by cash. 

Unless you have received formal coraspondance outlining what you owe they will not call and tell you you owe or seek payment.

If you are uncertain ask for a number to call back and then lookup the actual CRA phone line and she them to confirm the number you were provided.

• Thanks 2

And CRA doesn't ask for payments in the form of iTunes gift cards.

Hasn't happened to me but I've heard of it (on the news) happening

Also if CRA calls, it would show up (I think, not 100% sure) as a Government of Canada number on call display, not as an unknown number

RG

• Thanks 1

Most times, scammers will use the information from the "phonebook"/411.ca. I use a prepaid phone , so no problems there. But if one call me and they can't say my name or anything else, I hang up. 

And when they say "RCMP are on their way", I say "No problem, I'll be waiting downstairs".

13 minutes ago, roamingguy said:

And CRA doesn't ask for payments in the form of iTunes gift cards.

Hasn't happened to me but I've heard of it (on the news) happening

Also if CRA calls, it would show up (I think, not 100% sure) as a Government of Canada number on call display, not as an unknown number

RG

Unfortunately call display does not always show Government of Canada and even if it did I would not trust it. 

The government does not call and threaten arrest or lawsuits and will always give you their number to call back and you can confirm that by calling a published CRA number.

• Thanks 2

In November last year, this scammer called and asked me to call back with my SIN ready.  I posted this in the "WTF" thread.

https://www.lyla.ch/topic/39171-what-makes-you-say-quot-wtfquot/?page=7

Then last night, the scammer ( most likely not the same a*#hole ) called again.  But this time was at night.  This guy must have mixed up our time zone with his country's which would have been day time.  Talking about being dumb! 

• Thanks 2

I do my best to keep them on the line as long as possible. I provide (make-up) all the informationn they request and play dumb....

I only do this when it's convenient for me. I prefer to have these calls while I'm driving (bluetooth) and only tell them to fuck off and die as I pull in to park at my destination. Passive Aggressive? Not me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

New email this morning, they informed me there was a self assessment done and they had $335 to refund me. Just had to log in to the CRA portal, link included and have you debit/credit card available.

• Thanks 1

Boomer you lucky cheese, you! Now you can afford to see a lovely Lyla lady for an hour or so and show up with a fine bottle of wine under your arm.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Boomer said:

New email this morning, they informed me there was a self assessment done and they had $335 to refund me. Just had to log in to the CRA portal, link included and have you debit/credit card available.

The real CRA portal is closed for maintenance until Monday February 11.  So, they apparently can't even bother to connect their BS to reality.

11 minutes ago, Greenteal said:

The real CRA portal is closed for maintenance until Monday February 11.  So, they apparently can't even bother to connect their BS to reality.

The real CRA would not ask you to have Debit/Credit Card ready.

Just now, Ice4fun said:

The real CRA would not ask you to have Debit/Credit Card ready.

By email, they only inform to log in to see updated information. They will never divulge any amounts due or owed.

On 2/7/2019 at 3:42 PM, Greenteal said:

By email, they only inform to log in to see updated information. They will never divulge any amounts due or owed.

This is a fiirst for me... got a text a few days ago saying that CRA had a few hundreds dollars (don't remember the exact figure) to refund me.  All I had to do was to click on the link...  These scammers thought I was born yesterday! 

On 2/7/2019 at 2:24 PM, Boomer said:

This is a fiirst for me... got a text a few days ago saying that CRA had a few hundreds dollars (don't remember the exact figure) to refund me.  All I had to do was to click on the link...  These scammers thought I was born yesterday! 

@Luckyme: sorry to have missed your birthday yesterday my friend! Best wishes albeit a day late.

See you at Barb's this afternoon with your refund? :)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, waterat said:

@Luckyme: sorry to have missed your birthday yesterday my friend! Best wishes albeit a day late.

See you at Barb's this afternoon with your refund? 🙂

Haha.... thanks for the laugh!   I haven't set foot in a strip club for ages...with or without refund! 😉

On 2/7/2019 at 3:42 PM, Greenteal said:

Yup! Got that email the other day. I was dreading going to look in there. Thankfully I saved for the taxman. 😝

20 hours ago, Nicolette Vaughn said:

Yup! Got that email the other day. I was dreading going to look in there. Thankfully I saved for the taxman. 😝

So they asked you to log in? Did they provide a link?

6 hours ago, TorontoMelanieJolliet said:

So they asked you to log in? Did they provide a link?

No, I was referring to CRA legitimately emailing to let me know I received my notice of assessment. They will never send a link to log in. You have to go to the CRA website to log in yourself. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

with all these auto calls, I wouldn't believe if CRA legit called or not.

My last call was some guy asking about voting for gun laws to be changed? anyone else?