What was the nicest compliment you've received?

Sometimes we say things to people and have no idea how much an impact it has on the individual. Of course we remember the bad stuff, but why is it harder to remember the good stuff?

I am not talking about just a casual compliment like " oh your so pretty/handsome", but the kind that almost defines your true character! It has been over a decade when I got the most rememorable compliment.The best a daughter could receive from a father. I had brought him to a place I liked to go for drinks. It was not a place that he normally ever go into, the patrons of the bar were made of a varity of personalities. Artist, computer geeks, some where just out right strange. My father was not used to "strange", in his day.....well there was not much tollerance for different in our small town.

Growing up we had lots of disputes over my level of tollerance to multiculturism and alternative lifestyles. But THIS day, here he was with me, my Jamacian freind and a transexual! He enjoyed beer and conversation with everyone! he turned to me and said " having you as my daughter I have learned more about other people than I ever could in a life time! I have learned how to accept differnt lifestyle's and culture!"

I was left speechless! My eyes widened so wide, smile appeared on my face and for the first time I felt like I made a difference in the world!

So now what was yours? How did it affect you? Did it help define you? Do you strive to keep that compliment on going in your life?

I have a particular talent (I won't post here for privacy reasons). One day as a teenager, I expressed to my peers how much I hated school and life in general (you know those teenage years LOL).

Another girl said to me: How can you be unhappy when you can.....? I would do anything to be able to ....... and I would be so happy.

She completely changed my way of thinking and instead of focussing on the things I hated (school, curfews, rules, etc.) I started focussing on the things I enjoyed and the things I am talented at. I'm still actively pursuing this talent to date and I truly appreciate what I have, in part thanks to her.

I'm sorry it doesn't make much sense without posting the "gift," but I don't want people in my "real life" to figure out who I am :(

This may not be the best compliment ever, but it's one that seems appropriate here.

Long before I started visiting sp's, I used to go to strip clubs fairly often, and met a dancer, Josée, whom I saw regularly over a few years. One night she told me she was retiring, and we wouldn't be seeing each other again, as she would be living in another city full time.

She gave me a kiss, and as her final words to me, she said "Reste comme tu es; tu fais plaisir aux femmes."

I've tried to keep the same attitudes, and I hope that in my new hobbying activities I continue to 'faire plaisir aux femmes'!

The woman always comes first ;)

The best compliment I ever received was about ten years ago, when my mother told me that she was putting me in her will as the guardian of my younger siblings. It was such a great feeling to know she trusted and respected me enough. Even better feeling that nothing ever happened to her and it had to happen though, hahaha!

Well a couple.

First, and this really won't seem like much when posted here, but for those few who know where I work, they can deduce who, generally speaking, said this. And it was that I have integrity and honesty and don't lower myself down to their level. This makes much more sense if you knew where I worked.

Second nice (but not second nicest) compliment. A few of the ladies I've seen have commented that I'm a gentleman. It was the way I was raised, to be a gentleman. But it seems alot of people in mainstream society either don't care or don't notice it, but it is a noticed and valued character trait here

And third one I can't say, it would breach something private between a lady and myself, but I am very flattered, and it is a real nice compliment

RG

A few years ago I had a student write a letter to me. She had job shadowed me for the day a few years previous. I had never met her before, but somehow I had gotten her to believe in herself and that she was now well on her way in her chosen profession, one which she would not have had the confidence to chose, but for being with me on that day. It is hard to imagine that we can influence someone's life in a few short hours with a few actions and words. I will always remember this. Her simple "thank you" was the best compliment I could have ever received.

Ohhh I like these stories! Thanks so much for sharing! I think this discussion is a great way to remember those special milestones into who we are! Thanks, to Meg....I dont know what the talent was, but I had the same revelation as a young teen. Wow and glad I did! cause it makes being me so much easier:)

Guest k**tyl****r

Having a teenage daughter myself your story really touched me, Sophia.

I think the compliment that stands out for me was by an MP, she told me I had a great spirit about me, not being religious for some reason it felt good.

Great thread Sophia.

My story happened many years ago when I was just starting my career. An auditor showed up in my office with the task of auditing the activities of my branch. I cooperated, he examined all our operations and questioned me at lenghth.Over the course of his visits he opened up to me and said he had a talent and asked if he could tell me something he had observed in me. He came from Jamaica and told me he could forsee how a person would do in life by examining their auras. Being young and naïve I smiled and listened.he told me : you will make a difference in the lives of people you will choose to asssociate with- a very positive difference.

That made me scratch my head but became a kind of sel-fulfilling prophecy for me. Something that defines me.Fast forward and I am sucessful, have achieved much profesionally, have had awards and accolades, made friends all over the world. That turned out to be the best compliment ever for me.

Posted via Mobile Device

I have competed in bodybuilding over the years. In the early days my parents, especially my father did not accept this part of my life. They argued with me and gave me every reason in the book why I should not be involved.

In spite of their objections my family came to Halifax from Cape Breton to see me compete for the first time. My father did not come to the actual show but watched it on television. I won that show.

When I came back home my father was waiting for me with a dozen roses and said to me, "I am proud of you". He was always a man faster to critize than compliment and when I considered his dislike for my sport it was the ultimate complimate of my life.

It was a long time ago but I remember it as it was yesterday.

I'm not awake enough to remember all of them, let alone the nicest ones but one that stands out was one I received while in this profession: That I was very genuine.

Weird but true.

Now where's my caffeine?! :icon_smile:

The greatest compliment I ever received was not said aloud. My father was in his early 80's healthy and vital and one day he looked me in the eye and without saying a word he passed all responsibilites for him to me. I knew it immedialtely. Without saying a word he told me he trusted me implicitly and passed the torch.

I took it as a compliment and I've never been more proud.

Peace

MG

After my niece was born, my sister said to me, since you never had a baby, I'll share with you - my baby can be your baby! I was so touched.

• Like 1

An interesting feel good thread Sophia. Great topic.

For me as a retired educator,I have one particular incident that I recall with great nostalgia.

Several years after I retired I had a knock on my door at home and a former student came in. He recalled that when he was 13 and in school how he just hated reading and books and anything associated with them. I was his math teacher and he then related how on one occassion I had taken him under my wing, walked him to the library and spent over an hour looking at titles, how he had balked until we came upon the Lord of the Rings.

He took Book 1, and he said that he has not stopped reading since, and has gone on to a great career in computer programming. This from a student who was on the verge of dropping out.

"You changed my life. Thank you." One never knows when a simple act can be repaid so many times over. I do not even recall the incident happening, and that is another reason that it is so special.

When I was younger and still dating, prior to the state of wedded bliss I am now in (isn't sarcasm great) I had the talent of never really getting along with "her" parents. Her being whoever I was dating at the time. I understand that to even get to the meet the parents stage is a bigger step in the dating hierarchy but it was always one I stumbled on. First a little background information. I was born and raised a city boy through and through which meant that usually I dressed, thought, etc. different than my "country" counterparts. My views on politics, society, etc. always seemed to be the opposite to what other, more shall we say conservative peoples views were.

Having said all of that I always had a way of being attracted to "country girls." If I was to be asked out or if I was to ask a girl out invariably they would always be from the country.

So after a long streak of hits/misses/disasters I hit upon one girl and yes she was a country girl and yes I did make it as far as meeting her parents. At this point in my life I was in my mid twenties(ish) and had grown cynical to the thought of meeting another set of parents. Well turns out this set didn't like me either...and I didn't much like them. We were catty to each other and disputed everything the other said. Just as had happened with me in the past!

Okay, still with me so far?

Jump ahead a few years to my wedding during the reception speeches to be precise. My now Father In Law was giving his speech and let me be clear my SO parents are great people! But at that point I was still a little distant due in no small part to my track record. So during his speech he stopped speaking from his prepared speech and looked directly at me and said...

"You know what Steve you are a great person and I couldn't be happier that you married my daughter."

Thought of a couple more that really touched me:

I had a wonderful gentleman tell me he found me so interesting he'd like to write a book about me

And recently, while laying in bed, I was told by a gentleman that my body reminded him of the old French paintings, where women's bodies were made to look like violins. Made me feel beautiful :)

Additional Comments:

Thought of a couple more that really touched me:

I had a wonderful gentleman tell me he found me so interesting he'd like to write a book about me

And recently, while laying in bed, I was told by a gentleman that my body reminded him of the old French paintings, where women's bodies were made to look like violins. Made me feel beautiful :)

a couple of years ago i went through a major depression. my best friend didn't understand what i was going through, after reserching about depression and seeing the battle i went through for about a year to get better he gave said to me the best thing somebody ever said to me:

that he had lots of respect for me and that he would never be the man that i am.

this meant the world to me as my friend was one of the people i respected and admired the most. and saying that made me proud.

This was not pointed out to me but touch me just as much. My family owns a business and have been employing people for many years and now that my dad is retired and living in a retirement home I get old employees calling me to find out how he is doing. One day last year I was visiting my dad and this one ex employee came in to see his mom at the same home and noticed I was there so he approached me and asked me what I was doing there. I told him my dad was staying here so he took some time to see my dad.

We talked about the good old day when he was in his early teens and dropped out of school to find himself a job and ended up working for my dad. Two weeks after he started the school board showed up at the factory and told my father that he could not hire this guy unless he signed papers saying he would keep him until he was 18. Now this guy at that age was turning out to be a bum, but he told my dad that he kept him in the right direction and that is why he turn out to be successful today. He shook my hand and hugged my dad and told him that he was more of a father figure then his real dad was. I was in tears when he left since I worked with this guy a lot in my teens.

Some years ago, I very good friend of mine walked down the aisle. Her father was unavailable so she asked me to walk her down the aisle. An honour beyond words.

Some years ago, I very good friend of mine walked down the aisle. Her father was unavailable so she asked me to walk her down the aisle. An honour beyond words.

That is awesome!

It reminds me that I have served as a groomsman on 3 separate occasions and each time it has been an amazing feeling just to be asked! Especially the last one, I have a cousin that I have not seen often over the years. Unfortunately one of his original groomsmen was sent to Iraq, and despite the fact that we haven't kept in touch as well as we would like and I hardly knew the bride's family, he asked me to stand up there and celebrate his big day with everybody :D

:icon_cry:I must have some extra female hormones because compliments make me cry. True sincere compliments. Here are a few that make me cry..

When I was 18 I met a boy, he was a group run-away, 14 and lost,stereotypical "badass". I took him in and didn't give up on him. He now lives in a different province, but still calls me once in a while..He tells me this "Thank you, you are an angel sent from heaven and saved my life, if it weren't for you..." He is now 24, graduated top of his class. Is a model , an accomplished boxer, an actor and runs his own business..He did this all on his own. I love him and am so proud of him. He wrote me a song and sang it to me and to this day I can't pull it out and read it without crying.

I actively participated in reading my stories to the children in my son's class so they can preview my work..One day the teacher told me that never in her entire career has she met someone like me, a parent that every child loves and clings on every word and piece of me, then she hugged me and cried on my shoulder.

And, as well here on Cerb, I have had some very nice and sincere compliments. Here where I am faceless and am free to be me and that makes my day.

OMG! Talking about compliments, My dead friend that I have known since I was ten wrote this on my facebook wall today "You know I truely feel that you are one of those people who could change the world for the better!!You are so happy that it makes me happy."

Awwww, sweet sweet darling friend, I do love her so

Edited by JuliasUndies