The Rep System Ã?Ã?Ã? Arggh!

The Rep System has been a bit of a thorn in my side for a very long time.

There has been many times that I have wanted to give rep points or just give a positive comment through the reputation for this post button. recent example on a particular post but I keep getting this insistent message that I must spread it around. Arggh !!!

I am a long time member, please allow a little more flexibility to us.

I am not necessarily on all the time, so it makes it hard for me to spread it around.

I would hope that I'm not suspended tomorrow for bringing this up again but It really needs a change for the better.

• Like 4

I think...and don't quote me, it's a safeguard so one member doesn't artificially inflate another members rep point count by continually giving them out to the same member, post after post. Likewise, if there is a member you don't like, uncontrolled use of the rep point system could allow someone to keep giving negative rep points to a member, no matter what that member posts

There is nothing stopping you from nominating a post however

But I'm speculating, and don't know for sure

RG

• Like 1

There has been many times that I have wanted to give rep points or just give a positive comment through the reputation for this post button. recent example on a particular post but I keep getting this insistent message that I must spread it around. Arggh !!!

Could you not just quote the post in question and reply with "I agree" or as others do simply state "I can't give you rep. points at this time but I agree with you."

• Like 1

....and you may also drop by their profile and leave a message of appreciation... I know I'll be leaving one to Carley...

• Like 1

I have to admit I don't really have a good handle on nominating posts and rep points and all that jazz. Messageboards are weird. Halp I am not good at computer :(

I think...and don't quote me, it's a safeguard so one member doesn't artificially inflate another members rep point count by continually giving them out to the same member, post after post. Likewise, if there is a member you don't like, uncontrolled use of the rep point system could allow someone to keep giving negative rep points to a member, no matter what that member posts

I'm pretty sure you're right about that.

whatsup, to address your original problem (in addition to the suggestions we've had already), you can always find a few other posts by other people that you like and dish out some rep points to them, and then try again. Or just make a note of it and try again sometime later, unless it's always the same person that you approve of.

Forgive me if I am wrong but I am wondering if in the early days of Cerb the rep. point system was "loosey goosey" and if this created problems such as members receiving too many rep. point hits...either good or bad. More senior members than I might be able provide some info. on this.

Phaedrus it is always NOT the same people that I give points to if I feel the post is worthy you will get rep for such.

I'm pretty sure you're right about that.

whatsup, to address your original problem (in addition to the suggestions we've had already), you can always find a few other posts by other people that you like and dish out some rep points to them, and then try again. Or just make a note of it and try again sometime later, unless it's always the same person that you approve of.

Phaedrus it is always NOT the same people that I give points to

Sorry - I didn't mean to imply that it was! But, speaking personally, I do find there are some folks here who I can't give points to quite as often as I'd like. Such is life...

Phaedrus it is always NOT the same people that I give points to if I feel the post is worthy you will get rep for such.

Just a dumb question, have you given out a lot of rep points and nominations in a 24 hour period, I think it is. Sometimes you are stopped from giving out any more to anyone if enough have be given out by you. Usually 24 hours later you can hand out points again, even going back to the post you wanted to hand out a point to to begin with

RG

RG, I seldom have time to give out points in any given time period. I do not think a 24 hr. time period applies to CERB.

Just a dumb question, have you given out a lot of rep points and nominations in a 24 hour period, I think it is. Sometimes you are stopped from giving out any more to anyone if enough have be given out by you. Usually 24 hours later you can hand out points again, even going back to the post you wanted to hand out a point to to begin with

RG

I've never understood the whole rep points thing. Not sure how I receive them and frankly why it matters. I'm always surprised when I see them.

It would be great though if I could redeem them like airmiles...:)

Peace

MG

In my honest opinion, I don't see what the big deal is in "rep points". If you really like someone's post, there are a lot better ways to do it then giving "rep points" in my opinion. Just earlier tonight, a lovely lady randomly messaged me while was in chat and mentioned that she liked my posts. To be brutally honest, I consider that a lot more thoughtful and would keep that one simple message in higher regard then receiving one gachabazzilion-million rep points. I'm not saying that you need to go to chat and tell people you like their posts, I'm just saying "rep points" aren't the only way to do it.

To be brutally honest, I could care less how many reputation points, nominations, or how many "posts" someone has under their belt. I much prefer quality over quantity. I love the posters who make me laugh with silly jokes, give insightful thoughts, are open to new ideas, and give their opinion in a respectful way. I would take all those attributes any day of the week over someone who has "reputation points".

In my honest opinion, I don't see what the big deal is in "rep points". If you really like someone's post, there are a lot better ways to do it then giving "rep points" in my opinion. Just earlier tonight, a lovely lady randomly messaged me while was in chat and mentioned that she liked my posts. To be brutally honest, I consider that a lot more thoughtful and would keep that one simple message in higher regard then receiving one gachabazzilion-million rep points. I'm not saying that you need to go to chat and tell people you like their posts, I'm just saying "rep points" aren't the only way to do it.

To be brutally honest, I could care less how many reputation points, nominations, or how many "posts" someone has under their belt. I much prefer quality over quantity. I love the posters who make me laugh with silly jokes, give insightful thoughts, are open to new ideas, and give their opinion in a respectful way. I would take all those attributes any day of the week over someone who has "reputation points".

I think you hit the nail right on the head and I also submit that if you asked all the top rep. point earners here on Cerb they would say the same thing. It's nice but not required or necessary. They, rep. points, are just another way to show that you agree, disagree or in some cases are just playful with a member of the opposite sex. Are they meaningless...no. Are they the be all and end all...again, no!

Bottom line if you go looking for them (rep. points) and are receiving them from others, you are getting them for the wrong reasons.

They are a reflection of your posts, thoughts and beliefs...not who or what you are as a person/hobbyist/SP.

There you have it...my opinion!

Now I hope someone likes this post so I can get some more rep. points. Ha ha

• Like 6

I think this is an interesting "reward" system and think it's meant for fun, however, for a friendly "only positive" forum, a few really can dish out a couple of sad faces here and there when and if their opinion is owned by themself and doesn't attack another member, I don't think another member should be able to give sad faces because they don't believe in anothers opinion. To each their own.

I count on the more reputable members to A) send me PM's and trust they are serious enquirers B) Because their reputation is so high, I tend to pay more attention to what they have to say in turn with that should have good jugdement.

But..someone says something that someone doen't agree with, someone can strip this reputable foundation down to nil? But, if it's not directly attacking someone or breaking any rules, it's just not in good tast and not too classy you know? How can someone here seriously consider themself better than another to reck their profile?

Aww well so is life! So I agree there are a flaws in the system. I'm just glad to be here

There is nothing stopping you from nominating a post however

But I'm speculating, and don't know for sure

RG

That might explain why it seems I'm seeing more nominated posts nowadays than I did in the past. This thread, for example, had two in the first six posts. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's just an observed trend I've been wondering about lately.

Personally, I like to use the rep points feature to add little positive comments to someone's posts (where warranted of course). I think it's a convenient and concise way to provide feedback on an entire post. I don't really care about the rep points aspect. Which is probably why my pet peeve with rep points is people handing them out without adding a comment to say why.

Edited by bewlayb
  • Like 1

Yeah, I don't really understand the rep point system either and the purpose behind it. To be honest, I have more respect for those that stick they're neck out and tell it like it is. But as indicated in an earlier post, message boards can be a little different than one expects. ;)

I've never understood the whole rep points thing. Not sure how I receive them and frankly why it matters. I'm always surprised when I see them.

It would be great though if I could redeem them like airmiles...:)

Peace

MG

I think of it as one of many ways to evaluate someone here where everyone is anonymous. If a person has a high reputation, that could matter more than if they've made 17 million "I agree" posts. CERB covers the whole country, but the fact is that most of the paid companions, here, are in Ontario. Very few reviews are written about women elsewhere. But a client can look anyone up, see what they've had to say on the board, and see something about their overall reputation, too. We companions can do the same thing for someone who has contacted us.

Reputation points given or taken away by members with little reputation of their own don't make a big difference. But if a member has a high reputation, the award they give is worth more points. However, anytime anyone gives negative reputation, they can only take away one-half of the points that they might have given if the award was positive.

Nominations are worth one point each, regardless of the reputation of the nominator.

From a technical standpoint....At times I have tried to give someone a rep point and the box would open and then close before I could even type in it. Not sure what that was all about.

• Like 2

From a technical standpoint....At times I have tried to give someone a rep point and the box would open and then close before I could even type in it. Not sure what that was all about.

Nicolette, I suspect that after you have have the box open that you are accidentally hitting somewhere on the screen and this closes the box. Just reopen the box.

I agree completely with whatsup. I keep on running out of rep points myself. As in real life, There are some members who deserve a lot more rep points than others and for those individuals once I give a rep point then I can't give another for a long while. So if I see a very valuable or true post I cannot give the poster a rep point. Sometimes I don't wish to quote and/or comment because I may not wish to bump up the post (specially in the recommendation or advertisement section where it is against the rules) or I don't wish to post but just make a brief comment of positivity. Leaving a message in his/her profile is only for member to see and sometimes I prefer a public brief positive comment.

Btw, I think that rep points are great to have. It shows our appreciation to the posters when they make valuable comments. I must admit I do not agree or like the negative rep point system as I believe the reader is making a (negative) judgement or reviews the post. This is not a review board. No body should make a judgement on another member. Some use it to disagree with poster and give negative rep point simply because the view expressed is contrary to theirs!!!!!. This is a recommendation board and hence only positivity should be warranted and like every other community there is a diversity of views on every topic (to be expressed within the framework of cerb rules) and I believe that there should be respect and enough tolerence for other views expressed on an all-adult board lol, again in my view.

• Like 2