Buying a Car in the U.S.?

Hi Guys,

I am interested in buying a car in the U.S. and the price there is listed for $20 K less for a 2010 model than it is here in Canada and would most likely go further south to buy in 2012. Has anyone ever bought one there and did you go with a broker or do it yourself? I know there is a lot of paperwork involved but I know it would be worth it to bring it up here.

Another thing I heard about was having to change the odometer from MPH to Kms and it has to be done at the dealership here in Canada. Is it expensive to change? I am also aware that some car companies here in Canada will not honor the warranty and some will. Thank in advance.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=c&car_id=309793082&dealer_id=96633&car_year=2010&systime=&doors=&model=328I&search_lang=en&start_year=2007&body_style=COUPE&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=certified&distance=300&min_price=20000&rdm=1320332779826&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=&fuel=&keywords_display=&lastBeginningStartYear=2007&end_year=2010&showZipError=y&make2=&certified=y&engine=&dma=NASHVILLE&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=2&isFlashPlugin=true&transmission=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&color=&address=37204&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=35000&make=BMW&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=202&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

When I lived in Halifax, I used an independent limo driver whenever I had to get to the airport. He would go to the US ever couple of years and pick up a used Lincoln Town car for his business. He swore by it and always got great deals.

I can try to answer a couple points based on a good friend who purchased his last three vehicles across the line. One was Toyota, one Honda and one was Chevy. So not sure on the German front.

He did not have to change odometer to kilometers to insure the vehicles. I drove one the other day and it is in MPH so definately had to get used to it again.

He was also told that the warranty had to be covered...... however most dealerships will put you to the bottom of the list because you bought it in US and he has had long waits for repairs sometimes.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Guest ***nsut***jr

Do your research well on this.

Yes it is tempting but there may be duties on some of the vehicles.

I heard that German made may be one.

http://www.riv.ca/ is the governing agency for this.

Remember too that you will have to pay HST when you register the car in Ontario too.

Not saying its a bad idea (people do it all the time) but it may not be the right idea for you.

Good luck whatever way you go

J

Guest W***ledi*Time

According to Transport Canada's Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (C.R.C., c. 1038):

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/acts-regulations/regulations-crc-c1038-sch-iv-101.htm

(18) Odometers and trip record counters shall be calibrated in kilometres.

(18.1) Notwithstanding subsection (18),
the odometer and trip record counter may be calibrated in miles if a label is applied in the vicinity of the odometer stating that the vehicle odometer reads in miles

Mind you, even labels can be pricey. A friend of mine imported a Jeep from the USA a few years ago, and was required to add one of those stickers on the sun-visor about seat belt usage. The Jeep dealer here quoted $200 to put the sticker on.

According to Transport Canada's Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (C.R.C., c. 1038):

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/acts-regulations/regulations-crc-c1038-sch-iv-101.htm

(18) Odometers and trip record counters shall be calibrated in kilometres.

(18.1) Notwithstanding subsection (18),
the odometer and trip record counter may be calibrated in miles if a label is applied in the vicinity of the odometer stating that the vehicle odometer reads in miles

For what it's worth, I have friends who own Harleys they bought down in the states that are in MPHs and they have never converted them to KMs.

Both of my vehicles were brought in from the US, and I've had varying experiences. One was bought from a local dealer who had done all the import work, and everything has been fine. The warranty was honoured locally, and we didn't have to convert from MPH to KPH.

However, the 2nd time we used a local broker, and it was a brutal experience. The price was much higher than what had been agreed to, some of the work that had to be done to conform to Canadian regulations (daytime running lights) wasn't done correctly and had to be redone, and it took much longer than expected.

The 2nd vehicle was a Honda, and they don't honour US warranties. I have also learned since that while the brokers like to say it's very complicated to import a vehicle, it really isn't. Some US dealers will even meet you at the border to facilitate the transfer.

So like any other major purchase, be careful, and do your homework ahead of time.

Both of my vehicles were brought in from the US, and I've had varying experiences. One was bought from a local dealer who had done all the import work, and everything has been fine. The warranty was honoured locally, and we didn't have to convert from MPH to KPH.

However, the 2nd time we used a local broker, and it was a brutal experience. The price was much higher than what had been agreed to, some of the work that had to be done to conform to Canadian regulations (daytime running lights) wasn't done correctly and had to be redone, and it took much longer than expected.

The 2nd vehicle was a Honda, and they don't honour US warranties. I have also learned since that while the brokers like to say it's very complicated to import a vehicle, it really isn't. Some US dealers will even meet you at the border to facilitate the transfer.

So like any other major purchase, be careful, and do your homework ahead of time.

From the little that I do know about this (which isn't much), it's better to go through a local dealer than a broker for this type of transaction.

From what I just read on various message boards dedicated to this topic, BMW Canada will honor the warranty whereas other have said other high end dealers like Mercedes won't. I am going to research it well. I've owned a similar model in the late 90's and it was a great car. I wouldn't hesitate in buying another one if I can get a good deal since I don't want to spend thousands more if I don't have to.

I would suggest getting all the info on any import duties you'll have to pay. And I have heard about the odometer thing too. Most odometers have both, but by law it has to be changed. Another great tip to save if you're buying from a dealer even in the states is to use a site like carfax. there's others too! By using them you know exactly what the dealer paid for it, what the MSRP is and how much they are marking up. Most cars should be marked between 3.5 and 6% added, so if you're dealer is above that you can always negotiate. On average I've saved an extra 1500 to 3000 on my car purchases. And if there's a good deal going on, all that stuff adds up!

Additional Comments:

Sorry I meant Car Cost, not car fax...

I,ve brought in 3 high end cars, benz, porche, audi plenty of trucks and numerous motorcycles and skidoo,s if fact i leave tomorrow am to michigan to pick up some more, if you pm me with the type of vehicle you wish to import i can give you the requirements, most are easy the paperwork is not difficult.

One big thing to remember... be honest at the border. Bring all the papers with you and show EXACTLY what you paid. It's much better to pay the applicable duty and taxes than have your vehicle seized and a whopping fine added on for good measure to get it back.

Had a couple of friends that tried to "fudge" numbers on cars and boats and they were sadly unaware that the border guys know the value of things... one ended up paying MORE for his new car because he lied.

Make sure you know what the requirements are. To bring a car across the border, into BC, there is a 3 day delay. You can find out more about importing requirements by going to the govt website which I am right now too lazy to go find lol.

I cross the border all the time, doing commercial entries, and almost every time I am there there is someone clearing the paperwork for the cars picked up across the line, with a team of drivers who are taken across just to drive the cars back over the border. Everyone waits in the office while the clearance is done, then off they go after the taxes, etc. Free trade implies that US made cars will be duty free, in reality that may or may not happen. Duties will of course be applicable on foreign made cars. Even so, time, paying the drivers, etc etc, the savings are still significant enough for them to do it. Them being dealers who then are going to increase the price and sell at a profit. So again, the savings have to be significant and the requirements not that complicated.

Its a single item, you can go and clear it yourself actually. But you will be afaik making two trips to complete the task.

Keep in mind that not all American sold cars meet the same safety requirements that we have here in Canada. For instance American cars do not come equipped with day time running lights which all cars sold in Canada after 1991 (I believe) are required to have. Also, if memory serves, the American standards for the vehicles S.R.S. (Supplemental Restrain System) or airbags is different as well. At one time imported vehicles required a reinforcement of the vehicles front bumper as the American standards for the rebar was too low. This may no longer be the case however...

Also keep in mind that some modifications to the vehicles existing systems may be needed to comply with Canadian standards.

I've imported a car from the US, it was relatively easy and I would do it again. There are two things you want to look for when choosing a car:

1) Make sure its made in the north america, otherwise duties will make it not worthwhile.

2) Make sure you know what if any changes need to be made to make it compliant to Canadian standards (eg day time running lights)etc. These can add up in terms of $. The car I got required no changes what so ever.

Here's a helpful website

http://www.importcar2canada.com/step_by_step_car_import_guide

And I have heard about the odometer thing too. Most odometers have both, but by law it has to be changed..

No, they don't have to be changed. I know of at least 3 people who bought their Harleys in States which are in MPH. And some other members have posted here that they bought vehicles and it wasn't necessary.

Here is good place to start for those interested in importing a car from the U.S.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safevehicles-importation-index-443.htm

I did the opposite when I moved to the US; I drove cross country and imported my Canadian car into the States. Never had an issue with the metric gauges and dials.

If they allowed that, I wouldn't expect it to be harder going the other way.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a using Tapatalk

Guest ***nsut***jr
Make sure you know what the requirements are. To bring a car across the border, into BC, there is a 3 day delay. You can find out more about importing requirements by going to the govt website which I am right now too lazy to go find lol.

The 3 day delay is to EXPORT the vehicle out of the US. That has nothing to do with Canadian Customs. You need to send you paperwork to US customs ahead of time. They will lose it on you too. Happens every time.

And as Old Dog mentioned don't mess with our customs. It is just not worth it.

J