Does education matter?

I had to post again as a certain"person" came to mind when rereading some of the responses,This person ,a guy,no a jerk I had met a while back, had attained a mba,when after telling him what line of work I had dabbled in and was considering to carry on in,he said that I was below him,not worthy of his friendship,after all he was an educated man and I would never meet anyone nice if I pursued this field(being an sp).I also have family memebers that are very educated snobs and would always test me,as I didn't get the smart genes they got,but then they can't draw,have little compassion,can't write poetry,so my point is, we all know and will run into asses from time to time, the secret to survivng their rath is, to know,love and respect yourself,we all have our gifts,and shortcomings and abilities embrace them and learn to use your middle finger more!

As far as getting along with other people in general - similar backgrounds and experiences (educational, geographical, social, etc) often (but of course not always) do help with making folks feel comfortable with each other.

I think this is the key.

Only because there seems to be a backlash against higher education (with good intentions, I know) I think I might as well share that the recent group of MA students I have had the pleasure of dealing with are among the most brilliant, driven, thoughtful, kind and hard-working people I know, and far too many of the people I work with day-to-day (who often have no education beyond early high school) are selfish, lazy, and thoughtless. The takeaway? Assholes come in all different packages. There are plenty of good reasons to pursue higher education, but it is certainly not a necessity to be a wonderful SP.

• Like 1

I think this is the key.

Only because there seems to be a backlash against higher education (with good intentions, I know) I think I might as well share that the recent group of MA students I have had the pleasure of dealing with are among the most brilliant, driven, thoughtful, kind and hard-working people I know, and far too many of the people I work with day-to-day (who often have no education beyond early high school) are selfish, lazy, and thoughtless. The takeaway? Assholes come in all different packages. There are plenty of good reasons to pursue higher education, but it is certainly not a necessity to be a wonderful SP.

I don't think there is a backlash against post secondary education per se. Just a university degree doesn't mean you have character, make you a nice person, someone you would like to meet, or for that matter, make you intelligent, that's all. All a degree means is you have taken a prescribed course of studies and received at the end, a piece of paper with a gold seal on it.

Just as in society as a whole, there are people who are thoughtful, kind, and hard working, just as there are those who are selfish lazy and thoughless. A degree doesn't impact that one way or another

Good post Spong

RG

Peachy, to answer your question, ie., if education matters when sharing an experience with an sp, mp or dancer -- my reply is a resounding NO.

To me, an education, ie. a piece of paper, is important if you'd like to persue only certain types of career such as a teacher, a scientist etc. But having good Knowledge, good personality, perserverance, and be resourceful etc are equally if not more important in business and life. In the Orient, you'll probably notice that education is very highly emphasized. But here in the west, a person can be as successful as he/she wants to be even without that piece of paper. For an sp, what matter to me are good personality, social skills, friendliness, good chemistry etc.

You should not be embarrassed at all - certainly not by those ignorant few who would insult you by testing you. This just shows that they are very insecure. In my mind, you run a very successful business - you have good knowledge, an awesome personality, good business sense etc. You'll be successful no matter what you choose to do in life.

All a degree means is you have taken a prescribed course of studies and received at the end, a piece of paper with a gold seal on it.

True. I learned a lot of things at university which have been invaluable to me in the years since. However, none of them are remotely related to what I was officially there to study, about which I now recall almost nothing.

I didn't find this thread becoming a backlash against education either, I found it pointed out that education alone does not make someone a better person.

I whole heartedly agree with the "street smarts" portion of a person's intelligence will serve them better in life over the long term than formal education. It's street smarts that generally contribute more to your people skills that will build your most important relationships in life. Formal education can always be picked up later in life and do not necessarily make or brake a person.

Don't get me wrong, as a university grad, I found my experience with formal education to be enjoyable and a benefit (although it did open some doors, it was life experience that opened up opportunities once I got in the door).

• Like 1

Guest Lep*******1**7

Peachy,

You asked a good question. Formal education is overrated in our society. I have know some people with three degrees and not one ounce of common sense. Also education does not give you a personality, ability to communicate ideas or emotional intelligence. You should not feel guilty about your education, everyone has different gifts and should be appreciated for these positive things and not judged by some arbitrary standard for something they may not have. Now for a few quotes from Einstein, who was very sceptical about formal schooling and was not a good student at all, as he saw most education as a brainwashing exercise and not a way of making people more creative.

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

"Education is what remains after on has forgotten everything he learned in school."

Peachy,

You asked a good question. Formal education is overrated in our society. ....

... for a few quotes from Einstein, who was very sceptical about formal schooling and was not a good student at all, as he saw most education as a brainwashing exercise and not a way of making people more creative.

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

"Education is what remains after on has forgotten everything he learned in school."

There is now even a "school of thought" which would suggest formal education is simply societal conditioning as Einstein suggested. The subject makes for Very Heavy Reading though, full of big words and politics with a small "p".

There are all kinds of intelligence, but the party-trick trivia (for the nervous teen like I was once) and the performing parrot style I see with some "graduates" are not demonstrations of it.

Emotional intelligence, however, something rather neglected, may be of much more practical use.

My Mum left school at 14, earned her living, raised a family and when she got old enough to have free time, went back to school and collected degrees for a hobby. She was studying law when she died! Maybe that's what did for her......?

Don't ever confuse education with being smart.

Belated Happy Easter to all,

CB

Edited by Code Blue
poorly educated spelling!

Guest s******ecan****

A lady's level of education makes no difference to me either way. I'm much more interested in their level of commitment to me as a client.

I graduated from university and deliberately chose to pursue a classical education when my dad was insistent on me studying business. It was a wonderful experience and I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity. Of course a lot of the "knowledge" crammed into me during those years is not always readily at hand, the main benefit of a classical education, the ability to think critically remains and has served me well.

Ironically despite my father's fears I followed him in business and was successful (in my mind more so) despite my choice, something I enjoy reminding him of from time to time.

As has been pointed out there are many forms of learning of which university is only one, tis best thought of as a means to end rather than an end in itself.

I'm proud of my achievement and cherish many memories, but would never consider that it elevates me above anyone.

Having had the pleasure of meeting Peachy recently I would never have guessed she lacked anything. Being a great sp has everything to do with being fun, enthusiastic, engaging a great listener and someone who enjoys pleasing others. She has this in spades.

I've always thought the aspiration to reach for something out of your reach was inspirational. My hope for P is that should she want to seek further education she does not let pinheads keep her down or disuade her. She has life experience that will seperate her from the rest and serve her well with all she comes in contact with.

• Like 2

I guess you get the point by now that you're fine the way you are, lol. Don't fret it. Unless someone was born into millions of dollars, went to prep school and an Ivy League college, most Canadian university grads are the same type of people as you.

I guess you get the point by now that you're fine the way you are, lol. Don't fret it. Unless someone was born into millions of dollars, went to prep school and an Ivy League college, most Canadian university grads are the same type of people as you.

... and the money, the prep schools, and Ivy League colleges don't necessarily make those folks any better, just privileged.

Long and the short of it ... Peachy we luv ya!

What is one's definition of "education"? There is formal education and informal. Much can be learned without a college or university to teach it to you.

At the very real risk of sounding terribly cheesy: education is completely in your grasp. The library is free, and packed with knowledge. One need not spend small fortunes on formal education to broaden their scope of the world. It comes down to motivation and discipline. If you want to learn more about something, you will.

I have never held formal education in higher regard than informal education. And never will. As long as you can carry on an informed, rational and logical conversation, I don't care how you came about your knowledge.

Though some are bound to obtain that little piece of paper avowing that you know something. More and more careers require at least a Ba/BSc.

Posted via Mobile Device

Cristy curves is right don't let insecure people put you down.Low people like to try to put you down cause they feel better for a short time.they are affraid and insecure beside you.I have been dating a sp and it's happened to her as well.Do not pay attention or you do the same in return so they wil know how it's like.

Guest Ba**n

The number of letters that come after a person's name is irrelevent to me Peachy as I am more interested in the individual's character, intelligence, honesty and acquired life-skills.

Having recently finished Adult High School, I've been reflecting about things a lot. Do I still think that you need an education in order to be a companion, no. Do I think education is important, yes. I think the reason I even let people get to me about my education is because I was ashamed of not having my high school myself. I'm proud to say that I will never allow someone to belittle me because they may have more credentials than me. In my opinion people who do that need far more help than an education.

I do not think an education defines a person. I do think that it opens the mind to new ideas, or experiences, but I'm not convinced that education makes someone who they are. I think that education can change a person, only in they way that experiencing any experience can. Whether it is good, or bad is an individual encounter.

I think that education can bring understanding to a lot of topics. However, if someone is passionate enough, learning can go beyond an institution. The one thing I truly believe education provides people is the choice of what they want to pursue, more options in the workforce and the proof of being a capable learner.

With all of that being said, I think there are many intelligent people who do not have their high school/education. They may be business owners, loyal workers, or just about anyone. I strongly encourage people to think outside the box and see the potential in these people and give these people a fair chance. I think people who are "street smart" (for a lack of words) have an understanding of life that education just can't teach. I encourage anyone who feels insecure about not having their high school to go and get it. You will not regret it and the only person you need to prove that you can do it is yourself. I was an older woman amongst what I would call children, it wasn't always easy, and I needed to be patient, but I did it. The old saying is true: if I can do it, so can you. I just wanted to bump this as inspiration to anyone who may feel like a smaller person because of a situation with their education. If you ever need to talk, you know where to find me.

Guest *Ste***cque**

Peachy, seems like you've learned a hell of a lot more than most! Congratulations!

If thinking education and intelligence matters I have a name for you

Tim Hunt

Education has nothing to do with the type of person someone is

RG

• Like 1

Good for you Peachy! I totally agree with your points and have the highest respect for your accomplishments, commitment and your future!

I love learning so education matters to me. I studied several times, have university degrees and other professional trainings. I will keep studying because I really enjoy it. I also think that education can be a real power for an individual. BUT what I truly value in life is how people behave with themselves and others, and the personality they have. Education has nothing to do with one being intelligent or a total idiot, generous or selfish etc... An education does not say much about someone at the end of the day (there are very bad physicians out there for example!). It is what you do of or with your education that makes it really matter or not. Being an interesting and beautiful individual does not require an education, whatever our social, cultural, sexual etc... backgrounds in our life are.

Congratulations again, Peachy, for having achieved what you had aspired to! Kudos to you!

I had already commented on the "education " part. So, I am saying to you now is - how wonderful to have attained your goal! I understand what you have achieved came as a result of dedication, hard work and perseverance. I know first hand not only based on my own experience but also having seen how hard you worked. As most things in life, what is worthy to obtain is worthy of our efforts. Another old saying is also true - "when there's a will, there's a way".

Your story Peachy can be real inspiration for many, congratulations on your achievements! Yes, education itself, some additional knowledge does not define the person but hard work, dedication, ability to reach the goal really do.

And there is one more thing I'd like to mention. My university professor liked to repeat that it does not matter what to learn, what really does matter - from whom to learn. The bright and caring people who we meet on our learning path change us and make us better.