Passport office or service Canada?

So, I awoke early with the intention of arriving at the passport office on Meadowlands promptly at 7:30 (opening bell). While getting ready I quickly realized that they would be closed today due to Veterans Day. No worries, I will go tomorrow. My dilemma stems from the fact that a Service Canada office is close by and way more convenient.

Upon a bit of research, I found out that if you go to a Service Canada or Canada Post locale, their typical processing time is 20 business days while if you go directly to Passport Canada the time is 10 business days. 20 days brings us to mid-December when the post office is the busiest.

I need my passport prior to January 7th. Should I just suck it up and go directly to the passport office or do you think I have enough time to entrust Service Canada?

Go to the passport office. I am in the same boat because of the six month "valid" rule some countries follow. Can't afford not to have my passport for more than a couple of weeks as I travel a lot.

I think you can pay extra to have a turn around in 48 hours if required.

Edited by Reddog01
sp / typo

Two years ago I paid the extra, had it turned around the next day. So I would use the passport office.

I was told to go and see my MPP with all the paper work and I should have it in about 2 weeks time. This is still to be proven to me yet as I don't need a passport before 2 years yet.

Passport office ... absolutely. Try to avoid Disservice Canada whenever possible.

And in my opinion worth paying extra for the quicker turnaround time.

Porthos

I used the Passport office at 240 Sparks. I was in and out of there fairly quickly. passport also showed up quickly.

• Like 1

Two years ago I paid the extra, had it turned around the next day. So I would use the passport office.

I always do the same, quick, easy and no fuss. I don't know what it's like in Ottawa but the lines at the Passport office and the lines at a Service Canada Centre are almost always the same here (Toronto) so one doesn't really take any longer than the other.

Guest ***nsut***jr

Pay the extra money as Pete said but I would be picking it up from the passport office.

Just went through with that and the one passport was expedited service that cost more and ended up being later than the regular service.

Figure that one out.

Oh and the best part, when I went downtown @Sparks, they had a separate line for the pick-ups, and I was like 3rd in line with four behind me, while the other line ups were long :(

I recently renewed my passport, going to the passport office, and the turn around was rather quick: about 20-30 minutes on a Friday morning, and ten days later it had arrived through Post Canada. Their current service standards are for 14 working days, I believe, so they beat that handsomely.

Leaving on January 7th? Not worth paying the extra IMO.

Best,

toine

I have used the Sparks street office before, and they were pretty efficient. I would assume they are still there. I would agree that going in is the best solution, as things can go wrong. A few years ago my daughter tried to renew from the states, and at that time you had to have the back of the picture certified for a renewal. So they got it at Passport Canada and they didn't like her picture, too much glare. At the time I was going to be meeting her in Vancouver, and the only way we did get her a new one was to go through my MP, and even then she only got it the day of her departure.

• Like 1

Guest sil**tkn***t

Try the Passport Office at Place de Portage in Hull. Lines are usually short and they will point out any errors or omissions in you application right away.

The passport office at 240 Sparks no longer exists. Processing through an MPs office is really designed for areas that don't have a Passport Office or Service Canada office, and won't get you your passport any faster.

Given your departure date, the Service Canada office should be just fine, unless you need it early to get a visa.

I used to renew at 240 Sparks, but with that closed, I am just going to mail in my renewal, rather than go to an office. I just finished my trip south, so have plenty of time, but best to never leave this to near your trip.

Interesting, the renewal form says you should not plan a trip until you have your passport. I wonder how many people follow that suggestion.

• Like 1

The last time I dealt with Passport Canada on Sparks Street was Summer 2011, I was given the option of getting it quicker than usual (can't remember how quick), on the condition that they were able to contact one of my references to confirm whom I was.

Ah, wasn't aware that the Sparks location closed...

I would go to the passport office, and be sure to ask to pick it up when ready instead of having it mailed out.

only times I have had errors is when I have not gone to the office or let it be mailed out to me. Both times they managed to mix up key info about me like having me born in a city 600 KM from where it really was and with a different city name. Fixed it and reissued in about 20 mins when I went in but still a pain.

• Like 1

Why go to either of the offices? Go on line or to the post office and get your forms, complete them, and mail them in. No fuss, no muss.

I always go to the passport office. Since you are not in a rush, I suggest that you take the regular delivery route, ie. do not pay extra. Your passport should be ready in less than two weeks - plenty of time to spare before your departure date.

Best bet by far is to go to the Passport office. The Sparks street office moved to Meadowlands and Prince of Wales. The one in hull is in Place Du Centre (Portage complex) above the food court. Either one is quick, and efficient. They have always exceeded their service guarantees by being quicker and able to fix problems on the spot.

Why any sane person would want to get Canada Post or Service Canada involved is beyond me. (And I used to work for SC)