This was my understanding too, that claridge was going to build something at that location. Thought they would have build there already, but look how long it's taking lebreton flats, might be awhile yet.

The staff at the Glue Pot Pub have been given their notification of the closure of the building within the next couple of months. To my understanding.

The staff at the Glue Pot Pub have been given their notification of the closure of the building within the next couple of months. To my understanding.

Sounds like there will be an end to things sooner rather than later if that is the case. Wonder if anyone on Barb's staff has had a similar notification.

Suppose it's inevitable as this has been brewing for a while.

Better hurry in while there's still time I guess. Somewhat sad to contemplate this - had hoped for a reprieve until year end.

The staff at the Glue Pot Pub have been given their notification of the closure of the building within the next couple of months.

Manager of the GPB told me he didn't know if/when it was going to happen. So, business as usual.

Lots of lovelies down there tonight. The gorgeous Lexus is back. Kendra looks very sensual as usual. Diamond is sparkling. And Cato will want to know that Ariel is in attendance.

• Like 2

Manager of the GPB told me he didn't know if/when it was going to happen. So, business as usual.

Lots of lovelies down there tonight. The gorgeous Lexus is back. Kendra looks very sensual as usual. Diamond is sparkling. And Cato will want to know that Ariel is in attendance.

Thanks for the intel, curmudgeon!

Looks like we'll have at least a little more time before the curtains come down at Barb's. Presumably it's more a matter of 'when' than 'if' as I suppose the site will be developed in some way when the light rail station is excavated.

Thanks for the intel, curmudgeon!

Looks like we'll have at least a little more time before the curtains come down at Barb's. Presumably it's more a matter of 'when' than 'if' as I suppose the site will be developed in some way when the light rail station is excavated.

does this mean that barbs will be shutting down soon? this is bad news

does this mean that barbs will be shutting down soon? this is bad news

I have no specific knowledge beyond what's been posted here.

Just making the logical (I think) surmise that excavation/construction for the light rail station will probably have to begin some time in the (relatively) near future.

Not at all sure what the timing of this will turn out to be - just hoping for at least 2 or 3 more months.

Hope anyone with intel/knowledge regarding this will post on this thread.

A couple of links of interest - Claridge has apparently bought the property outright and it's hard to imagine they would pay $685 / sq ft for a strip club property.

http://www.juteaujohnsoncomba.com/newsletters/2015/January_2015_Newsletter_November_2014_Sales.pdf

And this link seems to indicate that Claridge is planning a development on that corner beside the Lyon Street entrance and that a deal has been made already with the property owners.

http://metronews.ca/news/ottawa/1366786/downtown-ottawa-light-rail-stations-will-blend-into-buildings/

But, the schedule for the Lyon Street entrance is May 2016 so maybe we have a few months yet.... hopefully.

It will be a shame to see Barb's disappear... I used to spend considerable time traveling to Ottawa for work... I would stay at the Delta and many many nights I staggered across the street to my room... not always alone lolol... very good memories.... kinda wish I could get back there for one last evening before it closes... hopefully it will still be open in October.

• Like 2

Although this subject has come up on a regular basis throughout this thread, I think there is a lot more fire behind it this time. The timeline will depend on what's going to be developed. If it's just a Lyon St LRT station, the club may have as much as a year, but that's optimistic. If development includes condos/retail with plans to be ready for when LRT is finished, I think we're looking at only a few months. If notice has been given to Glue Pot staff, I think the latter is much more likely.

I'd be interested in hearing from the girls about their plans. I figure a bunch will move to Barefax, a few to Playmate, a couple across the river, a few to NuDen, and maybe a couple to Tease. As I know several of the girls have a strong preference for only dancing at Barb's, I think you'll see a surprising number take the opportunity to leave the biz. Hopefully, we'll have a good chance to say goodbye! :)

• Like 3

Although this subject has come up on a regular basis throughout this thread, I think there is a lot more fire behind it this time. The timeline will depend on what's going to be developed. If it's just a Lyon St LRT station, the club may have as much as a year, but that's optimistic. If development includes condos/retail with plans to be ready for when LRT is finished, I think we're looking at only a few months. If notice has been given to Glue Pot staff, I think the latter is much more likely.

I'd be interested in hearing from the girls about their plans. I figure a bunch will move to Barefax, a few to Playmate, a couple across the river, a few to NuDen, and maybe a couple to Tease. As I know several of the girls have a strong preference for only dancing at Barb's, I think you'll see a surprising number take the opportunity to leave the biz. Hopefully, we'll have a good chance to say goodbye! :)

Sadly, I think DocMyles is likely on the mark that "the latter is much more likely" - i.e. that we have only a few more months.

I'd be very surprised if it's just an LRT station - there seems to be a fair amount of evidence that a prominent local developer (Claridge) has at least some ownership interest in the site. I suppose there's an outside chance that the LRT station's entrance will be in some way separate from whatever else is developed at the site and thus could go ahead prior to other building, but I'm guessing this is not likely (or even if so that the site will be developed as a single project - just a guess).

Sorry if some find this discussion obsessive or pointless but this has been dangling overhead for a few years now and it's a bit sad to contemplate that it'll be closing sooner rather than a bit later.

Wish some Barb's staff/insiders could provide some guidance re the timing of this.

I noticed a lot of Barbs girls dancing at the Fax, so I went to Barbs and saw a lot of fresh new faces along with my faves like Phoenix, Amy, and also met Naomi, an East African beauty with model quality good looks and a charming personality..I love this bar because they have continuous dancing..

• Like 1

I hope Barbs and can find a new location close by.

Considering the very restrictive nature of Ottawa zoning by-laws on strip clubs, a move close-by won't happen. If ownership wants to keep the club alive, the only real option is to buy/lease the former Silver Dollar property.

Every major city has something downtown. While most fathers wouldn't want their daughters working in a strip club, it is a good job for many a girl getting her education and others raising children. Massage parlors seem to be able to operate all over the place but not strip clubs; something wrong there. Anyways it looks like BareFax will benefit most, but also Playmate and Pigales. All 3 clubs are very well run. NuDen is a great place too, just doesn't get the traffic for some strange reason as there are always some true lovlies there. I think the Silver Dollar is dead, too far off the beaten path and too much money to upgrade it altho it does have room for expansion. Sad, sad day we're loosing another find institution of upper learning.

Barbs could move to another location. If the city is making room for LTR, they might grant an exception to the by law, providing it meets the criteria. Also, a licence exists for the building on York St., between Dalhousie and Cumberland streets. It has been a couple of different SC's over the years.

It would be nice to stay in the downtown area, would not like it out at the dollar location.

Really hope it's gets relocated and not disappear into sc abyss.

Has anyone directly asked one of Barbs owners, managers, bartenders or door girls about the possibility of closing? and the possibility of opening somewhere else? Maybe i'm wrong, but, I think the owners might keep the dancers in the dark for fear of them all scattering to different clubs before Barbs actually closes.

I for one hopes Barbs can stay open for a long time or if it does get forced out, it opens again close by. I'm an out of town visitor and Barbs is the only Ottawa area club I go to.

Has anyone directly asked one of Barbs owners, managers, bartenders or door girls about the possibility of closing? and the possibility of opening somewhere else? Maybe i'm wrong, but, I think the owners might keep the dancers in the dark for fear of them all scattering to different clubs before Barbs actually closes.

I for one hopes Barbs can stay open for a long time or if it does get forced out, it opens again close by. I'm an out of town visitor and Barbs is the only Ottawa area club I go to.

I did ask the owner. He said the news of Barb's alleged imminent closure is just a rumour. He also said all the current and future construction around his club has nothing to do with him and that he has a lease of four more years.

So you can take it for what it's worth. Quite frankly I'm not convinced by him.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Stopped by 340 very briefly on Saturday (8/15) afternoon and found things to be moderately busy at around 3:00. Not as active as I've seen on some Saturday afternoons in the past, but not nearly as slow as on others.

A number of unfamiliar girls (it's been a while since I've been in) - but recognized Claire and Jenny anyway.

After such a long time away, seeing Jenny in the club was so nice. Almost forgot how gorgeous she is and she certainly looked as stunning as ever.

Left about 3:30 after chatting briefly with J. - a bit disappointed I didn't get to see her on stage.

• Like 2

He also said all the current and future construction around his club has nothing to do with him and that he has a lease of four more years.

LRT will need an entrance to the subway station, and that is planned to be located in the current carpark on the corner, which is currently being boarded up and has LRT signage. I think Claridge have left it too late to build a 20 something story building in time for LRT opening in 2018. So a standalone entrance to the subway could be built by then and the current building could continue where it is for who knows how long.

• Like 3

LRT will need an entrance to the subway station, and that is planned to be located in the current carpark on the corner, which is currently being boarded up and has LRT signage. I think Claridge have left it too late to build a 20 something story building in time for LRT opening in 2018. So a standalone entrance to the subway could be built by then and the current building could continue where it is for who knows how long.

Interesting. Thanks for the post, curmudgeon.

Perhaps the LRT entrance will be completed long before any other development on the site.