The 4 way stop question

I read a blog today that more or less got my interest.

There was an annoying question:

"If you came to a four-way stop in the middle of nowhere and you could see for miles and could tell no one else was on the road, would you still come to a full stop at the stop sign?"

Apparently, it's a personality test question. For the life of me, I don't understand why people would fret over this kind of crap...but here goes.

Advance warning, if you respond to this question, be prepared for somewhat uninformed and random professional abuse on your personality...that is of course, only if I think your answer deserves a response. I will probably make stuff up as I go along just for my own amusement. Try not to be offended...well, ok, you can be a little offended.

Good luck to all....this promises to be a challenge (to some).

Hint: As far as I know, the answer doesn't actually involve sex. But, you could describe an embarrassing anecdote if you like.

• Like 1

I would. Because even if you see for miles and miles those cops are tricky and sure as sh*t you'd find a cruiser after you, lights and sirens going, if you ran the stop sign

And true story, years ago, stop sign, but early in the morning, no traffic, no one apparently around, did a rolling stop and went through the intersection. Guess what, cruiser out of nowhere lights and sirens going, and RG gets a ticket. So live and learn, come to a full stop at a stop sign

RG

I would stop.

When I decided, less than two years ago, to get my licence and buy a car, I did so after losing a friend in a hit-and-run accident. I finally felt I was ready to take on the responsibility of driving, because I would NEVER do what that bitch did to my friend.

Driving is something I take very seriously. I obey every stop sign/traffic light/etc, and not for fear of traffic cops, but because WHAT IF a person or animal jumped out and something bad happened. If I had to look back and say 'If only I'd stopped at that stop sign, this wouldn't have happened', I couldn't live with myself. I *did* hit a deer and wreck my car earlier this year - but I was going the speed limit, looking straight ahead, doing everything I was supposed to. So, my attitude was, shit happens, but at least I know I wasn't at fault, and there was no way I could look back and say 'If I'd done this differently, that wouldn't have happened'.

• Like 7

I would stop. It looks clear but is it? Are you sure you are not being seen? You take a chance once, then you are likely to try it again someplace where it is not safe.

• Like 1

I'd stop.

I don't want me, or other drivers, obeying traffic laws only when we personally think it's warranted. It's everyone's safety at stake.

The question is the same as: if you really, really think in your heart of hearts that tonight's stranger is clean, should you really bother with a condom? Uh.... YES.

• Like 3

"If you came to a four-way stop in the middle of nowhere and you could see for miles and could tell no one else was on the road, would you still come to a full stop at the stop sign?"

I would stop, then play "Eeny Meenie Miney Mo" to decide which direction to go in. After driving along that course for a little while, I would probably pull over and run into the field with the handsome, intelligent, rich man I am with in all of my hypothetical imaginary situations and jump his bones with the sunshine on our backs and the grass staining our skin. Yum.

• Like 1

Guest B**na***oy
I would probably pull over and run into the field with the handsome, intelligent, rich man I am with

OK, that leaves me out. That's why in my dream, I run into the field with the gorgeous, intelligent and sexy EvaAdore. ;-)

Guest realnicehat

I need some more information in order to answer this question.

Why am I in the middle of nowhere?

Why does this intersection with visibility for miles and seemingly little traffic need a four way stop?

Is this the magical crossroads that appears in movies? The one from which deals with the devil are made?

Am I late for an appointment with Cleo? Or Eva?

Did I just see John Malkovich in a pick up truck?

How far away is the nearest Tim Horton's?

Is eenie meenie miney mo really the best way to pick a direction or should one use ink a bink a bottle of ink?

Well from someone who spends most of his life in the middle of nowhere and is ohhhhh so familiar with 4 way stops ....

often I don't stop. I slow down....and can see for miles and proceed and carry on

Not a responsible driver perhaps....but I don't speed much over speed limit anymore because that is what kills. Slow speed visual you do have most of the control....high speeds and unfortunate circumstances take control out of your hands.

In that situation, I would most probably stop.

Unless of course I had an appointment with Eva and/or Cleo and I couldn't get there soon enough. And after arriving at the scheduled place and time, it wouldn't be long before I could be heard pleading. "Don't stop! Don't stop!"

BTW, this reminds of the time I was driving on one of the smaller Ontario highways and I needed to pee. I wasn't quite in the middle of nowhere, but I could see it from where I was. So I just pulled over, got out, stood on the shoulder of the road and had a good piss. Then I got back in the car and took off. HA! No witnesses.

• Like 1

Why does this intersection with visibility for miles and seemingly little traffic need a four way stop?

Because it's in Ottawa - the city that installs traffic calming humps at 4-way stops.

• Like 1

I do not have statistics to back this up, but I have every confidence that 99.9% of people who had something horrible happen in a car accident at an intersection said afterwards that they could see everything was clear in all direction for as far as the eye could see.

Definitely would stop.

• Like 1

I would stop, then play "Eeny Meenie Miney Mo" to decide which direction to go in. After driving along that course for a little while, I would probably pull over and run into the field with the handsome, intelligent, rich man I am with in all of my hypothetical imaginary situations and jump his bones with the sunshine on our backs and the grass staining our skin. Yum.

Re: :icon_biggrin: Still waiting for my uninformed random professional abuse *taps foot*

My goodness, aren't we the multi-tasking one?

ok - here goes:

Your choice of games (Eeny Meenie Miney Mo) indicates you prefer to be a risk-taker on the road of life. God, I'm deep. Wait, wait...I would like you all to bow your heads and take a moment to admire myself.

....ok, where was I?

Oh yeah - You mention you would "probably" pull over to do some field running. Does that mean pulling-over is optional? Alternatively, does it mean you and your handsome, intelligent, rich partner would leap from the car while it's still blasting down the highway? If the latter is the case, I would strike out the descriptor: "intelligent".

While I'm on the subject of intelligence, how can you jump one's bones if both of you have the sunshine on your backs? I have a vision in my mind's eye where your two naked bodies resemble, I dunno - two pink, naked bodies expecting something fun to happen. The physics don't work. Inefficient coupling IMO. Everyone has their own unique style I guess.

In conclusion, you reveal several curious, yet fun, quirks in your character. Keep up the good work, but I suggest you do not leap naked from running cars in an attempt to land into grassy fields. From my experience that only results in the mother of all grass stains (or road rash - especially if you miss the field).

Edited by Jabba

My goodness, aren't we the multi-tasking one?

Always, Jabba. Always.

Your choice of games (Eeny Meenie Miney Mo) indicates you prefer to be a risk-taker on the road of life. God, I'm deep. Wait, wait...I would like you all to bow your heads and take a moment to admire myself.

*bows head* That was... profound. All hail Jabba!

You mention you would "probably" pull over to do some field running. Does that mean pulling-over is optional? Alternatively, does it mean you and your handsome, intelligent, rich partner would leap from the car while it's still blasting down the highway?

Obviously. With capes and masks... I thought you knew I was a chi-eating sexubbus from another dimension who grew up poor due to my Superhero father running (rather, flying) out on me while still an infant, raised a lowly peasant by my mother who was a mere mortal???

While I'm on the subject of intelligence, how can you jump one's bones if both of you have the sunshine on your backs?

Doggy style. Sans capes.

Also, "Superhero Style"; we corkscrew while hovering in the air with our super-awesome powers. Like a figure-8, with more skin and vigorous humping.

• Like 1

It depends. Am I driving a police cruiser?

• Like 1

It depends. Am I driving a police cruiser?

Good point! The whole equation changes if this card is active in my play area:

PRIORITAIRE.jpg

• Like 3

Yes I would stop. I made that mistake once of doing a rolling stop at 3 am in my neighborhood coming back from a night out with friends in front of a cop!!! LOL!. Having to flash some serious boobage and a bit of sweet talking, he let me go with a warning.

That`s just like asking..if a tree falls in the forest... so yes, I would stop. You just never know.

I will definitely stop. I will not take the risk after my last experience.

I came to a stop sign at a T junction where I have gone through hundreds of times before. I always know that area and that it is almost always clear to turn left or right and also I can see the traffic at least a block away. As usual, after a rolling stop, I started to turn right and then in the corner of my eyes, I could see a traffic cop on a motorbike (in a shopping mall parking lot) with his engine running. His gaze just followed me, and it felt like he was going to come after me any second. Luckily he decided not to - it was really close! No, I won't take the risk again.

I would need further clarification before I could answer this question.

What direction am I going? North, South, East or West?

In what direction is the sun at that time - behind me, ahead of me, to my left or right? Or is it night time?

Am I transporting gold fish?

Is my radio on? What music am I listening to?

Do I see a sexy lady running thru the fields with wild abandon?

Am I on my way to see Jabba? Am I late? Do I have time to see what that sexy lady is doing in the field?

Once I have the answers to these questions, then I will be able to let you know.

• Like 1

I believe this situation is referred to as the stoptional.

I also think prairie folk like Lee and I see this intersection a bit differently than others. If you're driving in rural Manitoba or Saskatchewan there truly is NOTHING for miles, no people, no hills, and generally no trees.

So, I would be more likely to roll through that intersection way out in nowhere land, but certainly not in a populated area!

I would need further clarification before I could answer this question.

What direction am I going? North, South, East or West?

Answer #1: Pffft - That's easy. Purgatory has no directions.

In what direction is the sun at that time - behind me, ahead of me, to my left or right? Or is it night time?

Answer #2: See answer #1 above. The sun is perpetually directly overhead so you can't tell the direction based on the position of the sun no matter what time of eternity it is. Time has no meaning in this frame of reference so you can literally wait until Hell freezes over to make your fateful decision. C'mon already, didn't you pay attention?

Am I transporting gold fish?

Answer #3: Yes but since the water has long since evaporated, you're transporting dried carp. Just thought you'd like to know.

Is my radio on? What music am I listening to?

Answer #4: In Purgatory, you only get one station - "HELL" FM. Upside: the music rocks. Downside You have a limited selection: "The Devil Went Down To Georgia" Charlie Daniels Band is about it.

Do I see a sexy lady running thru the fields with wild abandon?

Answer #5: I do if you do!

Am I on my way to see Jabba? Am I late? Do I have time to see what that sexy lady is doing in the field?

Answer #6: You forgot to mention: "The Mighty Jabba".

However, there is no such thing as "late" on this highway. The naked lady and her grass-stained partner are smiling & waving to you in slow silence as we speak. The grass ripples and flows according to your pleasure. Beware this passing vision for it will only serve to amuse and distract you.

Once I have the answers to these questions, then I will be able to let you know.

Answer #7: How precocious. What a fine little piece of human meat we have on the hook.

Be aware - Jabba is the least of your concerns my dear. You have other, more powerful beings to appease once you enter the arena.

Are you pretending or are you willing to play?

Pssst - just role playing here. Not taking this seriously.

Edited by Jabba
  • Like 1

Answer #1: Pffft - That's easy. Purgatory has no directions.

Answer #2: See answer #1 above. The sun is perpetually directly overhead so you can't tell the direction based on the position of the sun no matter what time of eternity it is. Time has no meaning in this frame of reference so you can literally wait until Hell freezes over to make your fateful decision. C'mon already, didn't you pay attention?

Answer #3: Yes but since the water has long since evaporated, you're transporting dried carp. Just thought you'd like to know.

Answer #4: In Purgatory, you only get one station - "HELL" FM. Upside: the music rocks. Downside You have a limited selection: "The Devil Went Down To Georgia" Charlie Daniels Band is about it.

Answer #5: I do if you do!

Answer #6: You forgot to mention: "The Mighty Jabba".

However, there is no such thing as "late" on this highway. The naked lady and her grass-stained partner are smiling & waving to you in slow silence as we speak. The grass ripples and flows according to your pleasure. Beware this passing vision for it will only serve to amuse and distract you.

Answer #7: How precocious. What a fine little piece of human meat we have on the hook.

Be aware - Jabba is the least of your concerns my dear. You have other, more powerful beings to appease once you enter the arena.

Are you pretending or are you willing to play?

Pssst - just role playing here. Not taking this seriously.

Thank you Mighty Jabba. Thank you for letting me know about the fish. I was wondering what that smell was. Now I understand why it is so hot here.

Now that you have answered my questions, my answer is:

Yes, I would come to a complete stop. However, I am still looking for Eva, it seems I am at a different 4 way stop then her.

• Like 1

Guest B**na***oy
Thank you Mighty Jabba. Thank you for letting me know about the fish. I was wondering what that smell was. Now I understand why it is so hot here.

Now that you have answered my questions, my answer is:

Yes, I would come to a complete stop. However, I am still looking for Eva, it seems I am at a different 4 way stop then her.

Sorry Meaghan, me and Eva just left, carelessly running in the field. ;-)

Additional Comments:

Come and join us Meaghan, the more the merrier. ;-)