Earliest TV memory?

Guest S*rca****sid

Anyone else remember "Tales from the Riverbank" with Hammy Hamster?

history_img6.png

Mr. Dressup

The Little Rascals

The Friendly Giant

The Munsters

The Jackie Gleason Show

Ed Sullivan

Bewitched

Get Smart

• Like 1

Guest N***he**Ont**y

Those shows come from the CRO MAGNON Age!They bring back some memories though!

I remember the 1st TV coming in the front door. For my family probably 1959

Lawrence Welk

Front Page Challenge

What's my Line

Arthur Godfrey

Razzle Dazzle

Let's Go

Mitch Miller

The Untouchables

Sky King

So many considering we got 2 channels and they were only on air for about 4-6 hours per day each!

As the OP I am fascinated by the cross cultural references between my childhood memories from semi-rural Midwest US and those of you roughly the same age in Canada.

My earliest TV memory is of falling over and hitting my head on it, and then thinking I was dying because there was blood everywhere. And screaming a lot.

Actually watching the thing came later....

So many considering we got 2 channels and they were only on air for about 4-6 hours per day each!

Remember going from two channels to 13? It was an almost unfathomable event. Today, going from 200 to 300 would barely wake some kids up.

Peabody & Sherman

Rocky & Bullwinkle

Dudley Doright

Mighty Mouse

Paint.

When I was very, very little, my mother took me to her best friend's house across the street. Her friend was in the process of repainting their living room. Left to my own devices while my mom and her friend drank coffee and visited, I decided to help with the painting. I had most of the TV console covered before I was discovered.

What? I was just trying to help. Grown ups!! As hard as you try, they're never happy.

• Like 1

Hockey Night in Canada. We lived in rural Quebec so only got Radio Canada. We turned the volume down and tuned in English CBC to hear the play by play with Foster Hewitt.

Razzle Dazzle....where the heck did I put my secret decoder ring? When we moved to Ottawa and got two channels.

Star Trek...Cable arrived and I'd come home after school every day to catch the reruns and have a grilled cheese sandwich...I still love grilled cheese. Lt. Ohura's curvy butt and rack were pretty awesome too!!

Fireball XL5 had one space monster that gave me nightmares for ages.

Anyone remember Reach For The Top? I was on that! Provincial runners up. I thought we had each won an Encyclopedia Brittanica but our vice principal commandeered them. But we were on several times and there was a sexy babe putting makeup on me so it was worthwhile!

Reading everyone's posts triggered more suppressed memories. Does anyone remember the serialized adventure shows like Rocket Man? Every episode ended with the hero facing certain death only to pick up again with a miraculous escape. Those shows kept me coming back for more.

XsoDm.gif

JEM-and-The-Holograms-The-Truly-Outrageous-Complete-Series-DVD-Box-Set.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Fraggles.JPG

Lexy this is for us GEM girls:

Truly Outrageous!!!!!

What's up with the record at the top? It looks very familiar that but I can't place it...

My first tv memories:

I wanted her so bad, and I got her for my b-day :) I think she's still roaming around in my mom's basement somewhere!!

What's up with the record at the top? It looks very familiar that but I can't place it...

I can't remember the name of the show but I think it was Sy Small or Side Small but I remember loving it starting around 3yrs old or so. That's probably not even the name but what I as a 3yr old called it LMAO.

I'm a die hard Jem fan. I made my Mom name my youngest Sister one of the girls from the show.

They don't make shows like they use to.

• Like 1

Guest K***e D****ls

Sunday night: The Wonderful World of Disney, followed by Fraggle Rock. I can still sing the theme song for the Fraggles. 'Laugh your cares away (clap clap), worries for another day! Let the music play (clap clap) down at Fraggle Rock!' That Sunday night ritual stamped my childhood.

Scooby Doo and the Cat Creature...scared the hell out of me.

Spiderman

Rocket Robin Hood

Hercules

He-Man

Voltron

Robotech

EN_CP_SCSCLP0040_01.jpg

spiderman+5.jpg

RocketRobinHood_combopix_s.gif

r334741_1514847.jpg

340x_voltron.jpg

RobotechTitle1985.jpg

*He-man

*Transformers

*G.I. Joe

*Hercules (the one with newton)

*Ghostbusters

*Mr. Dressup

*Mr.Rogers Neighboorhood

*Friendly Giant

*Polka Dot Door

*Today's Special

*The smurfs

*Teddy Ruxpin

*Fraggle Rock

and.. Hockey Night in Canada where my dad would yell at the tv even if he didn't care who was playing as long as it was the playoffs.

Edited by frenchbrute
add-on

I have a couple. I remember being sick and laying on the couch, Mom turning on the TV just in time for the premier of a brand new show called Happy Days.

Also remember watching the movie Orca on our 13" black and white set in my parents bedroom. (my parents had just bought our gigantic new 16" colour set, which I remember weighed so much that my dad and uncle struggled getting into the house)

Also remember seeing about 5 minutes of a movie called something like Attack of the Turtle Monsters, which gave me nightmares for weeks (I was around 4 when this happened)

And when I got older sunday nights was always Hardy Boys night, then bath time, then bed. I was so into this show I begged my mom to let me grow my hair long enough to have a Shaun Cassidy haircut. Even though the show was tied in with Nancy Drew I refused to watch it, 'cuz it was a 'girl show'. You know I hated it if I preferred a bath to watching it, even though my mom said it was OK for me to stay up to watch it before bath time :)

ETA: I also have a lot of memories of eating supper at my Grandparent's house while Wide World of Disney and "Fairies On The Prairies" (as my Uncle dubbed it, he was a teenager, and cool, so that's what I called it too, despite the many slaps to the yap I took for it :) ) played. The kids always ate in the living room, as there wasn't enough room at the table for us. This was before Sunday became Hardy Boys night. (ha, just noticed Katherine mentioned these shows in the post just before me. )