if you were gifted a lottery ticket, and it won, would you.....?

if you were gifted a lottery ticket and it won, would you....?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. if you were gifted a lottery ticket and it won, would you....?

• not mention it and keep it to yourself
    • share the news, but not the winnings
    • give them a small portion of the winnings
    • celebrate and split the win 50/50

Would you share your winnings with the person who gifted you the ticket? Would you volunteer the happy news? Would you only tell if they asked you? Or would you keep the win to yourself?

Would the amount of the win change your answer? For example, if it was $10 vs $1000?

What if it was a big one... like over 10k?

Guest **cely***r***ne

I always thought a lottery ticket win meant you split the winnings with the giver 50/50, but I just had a thought. A gift is a gift no matter what it is. But I like to share, so I would give them a portion.

Well for $10 I wouldn't probably go to the trouble. If it was a $1000 would probably give the person a gift certificate for a nice resturant higher value than that well would depend on amount.

I once gave a co-worker ticket that she won $10,000 on and she gave me $500 so would share if I won

If gifted a lottery ticket, it would depend on the amount. With an amount like $10 no, it's so small an amount I would keep it. But a larger amount, $100 up split it, or well in the case of something like $100, pick up the phone, say I'm taking you out for a nice dinner using the money for dinner

No matter the amount I would let the person know.

RG

• Like 1

I would definitely share the information about the win with the person who gave me the ticket. As for sharing I think it would depend on if it was a significant amount. $10... not worth sharing hundreds or thousands...definitely share even if it was just taking the person to dinner.

Just my opinion.

Guest Cr**gCa***ng

I would happily share it 50/50 regardless of the amount as it is found money. Yet, if I gave someone a winning ticket I wouldn't expect anything from them.

No matter the amount, I would share it with the person who gave it to me. But as far as anyone else, I would not tell anyone . I would be sure to look after Mom and Dad, but no one else.

My Uncle won like 150,000. To him he thought that made him rich. But in fact it is not that much when you look at a life span. He did some awesome things, went to Blue Jays game in the fanciest room over looking the ball felid, etc...but sadly one year later, is as broke as he started off:( He gave a lot to his kids ( undeserving if you ask me) and is now stuck with a broken down car! OMG sad sad...

I would happily share it 50/50 regardless of the amount as it is found money. Yet, if I gave someone a winning ticket I wouldn't expect anything from them.

ahhh an interesting point indeed!

If most people would share (and from the poll results it appears they would)... you might get lucky!

Looks like all Cerb members so far are good people, I would do like the rest definitely share if it is a large amount, do something for the individual if a small amount.

That's what makes true gift giving/receiving special. Because it is given from the heart, not from a sense of obligation. And the one who receives the gift doesn't feel a sense of entitlement to it. Applies not just here but with gift giving/receiving in general

I know I find much more happiness and hope give it too, when I give a gift to a person who doesn't expect it or feel entitled to it, versus those gifts given because it's expected of you and the receiver feels entitled to the gift

Hope that rambling makes sense

RG

Significant win I would share. A small win I would buy another ticket. A friend buys me tickets all the time. Sometimes it's $2 sometimes $20. I just buy more tickets. However I once won $60 and I took them out to dinner with it.

We joke if I ever disappear it's probably cause I won big and I'm being a greedy bastard as I drive down the highway yelling it's mine it's in! I wouldn't really but we like to laugh and dream.

Edited by Me*********od (retired)

Guest S****r

I would share, for sure, but....

One of my clients used to bring me a lotto ticket every week, but I stopped accepting them when I realized that he envisioned that if it did win, we would go down to Toronto together to pick up the cheque and get our photo in the paper together, etc. Discretion would not have allowed that for me, so I started politely declining them.

Sweet gesture that I truly appreciated, but it had potential for disaster.

Edited by S****r

I would share, for sure, but....

One of my clients used to bring me a lotto ticket every week, but I stopped accepting them when I realized that he envisioned that if it did win, we would go down to Toronto together to pick up the cheque and get our photo in the paper together, etc. Discretion would not have allowed that for me, so I started politely declining them.

Sweet gesture tgat I truly appreciated, but it had potential for disaster.

there is a lotto group on one of the other review boards, it's like a going joke...

what kind of people would be showing up for the picture if they win??!!

there is a lotto group on one of the other review boards, it's like a going joke...

what kind of people would be showing up for the picture if they win??!!

If I was going to get a couple million out of it, I would. Then issue a statement, that I'm still a perv, I want a nice encounter out with a "poor victimized" ladies with her consent of course, ;-) Mackay, come charge me...Supreme Court here we come. I'm retired, got the time and money LOL

RG

Edited by r__m__g_uy
  • Like 1

If I was going to get a couple million out of it, I would. Then issue a statement, that I'm still a perv, I want a nice encounter out with one of these "poor victimized" ladies, Mackay, come charge me...Supreme Court here we come. I'm retired, got the time and money LOL

RG

Well it might take a little more than a couple million.... but if you shared with me :) I would buy the plane I always wanted and take Peter water skiing for a long while ;) Cause I am fun like that............

26162040-563

• Like 2

Well it might take a little more than a couple million.... but if you shared with me :) I would buy the plane I always wanted and take Peter water skiing for a long while ;) Cause I am fun like that............

26162040-563

That would cost a lot more, because you need Goose and Maverick to fly the plane for you

goosethebird.jpg

And they cost a lot, and being older now, the need for speed may be gone in them LOL

Court seems cheaper

RG

• Like 2

I don't think most people gift lottery tickets without a reason. Usually it's a reward for doing something for them, and as such the giver has made a calculated risk that if it does come up it will be for a small amount. I personally don't see any reason to share, but might reconsider if it were a few mil.

I would split it. If it was a large sum, I would probably want them to cash it in to be honest. I am a very private person and I don't want the spotlight. So I would be trusting them to give me half anyway.

On the matter of giving the gift to someone, I would be upset if someone won a large amount and didn't share. Not because I would want the money but because I would be disappointed in my choice of friend. For someone in my life that I choose to have there to be that kind of selfish would be upsetting.

• Like 1

Me I Would Definitely Tell The Person, Give A Portion Depending On The Amount Won & Treat The Person Who Bought Me The Ticket To A Nice Dinner For Sure.

• Like 1

Guest D***el B***e

I would definitely share anything over $100. For less than a hundred, I would buy that many tickets and give half of them to the person who originally gifted me the winning ticket.

Guest Na****a***mers (RETIRED)

If it wasn't for that person who gave you the ticket, you wouldn't have a little or a big fortune on your hands. It's only fair to share it.

I would definitely give a large portion of my winnings to the person who gave the ticket as a gift if it was over $500.

However, upon realizing I won the lottery I wouldn't tell a soul, get in my car and take a drive to the lottery office in Toronto. That ticket would hidden in a ziplock bag somewhere in the nether regions. lol.

I've heard of people getting killed or stabbed over a winning lottery ticket. Trust no one when it comes to this sort of thing. Unless of course, it's your immediate family. Extended family tend to have flappy lips and everyone and your cousin x amount of times removed will be knocking at your door looking for a handout.

omg i voted before reading the whole question id totally wanna go 50/50 !

Additional Comments:

omg i voted before reading the whole question id totally wanna go 50/50 !