Phone calls

This has happened to me on the other side though as I was calling and two numbers would show up. The cause was a crossed line situation with Bell in which when I would call another persons line also was calling and would be able to hear all conversations. Also if either of us was called both phones would ring and we would have an unwanted party line going.

This has happened to me on the other side though as I was calling and two numbers would show up. The cause was a crossed line situation with Bell in which when I would call another persons line also was calling and would be able to hear all conversations. Also if either of us was called both phones would ring and we would have an unwanted party line going.

The thing is he called me at 3 different times and all 3 times it showed both numbers.

If you have call waiting and two people call at exactly the same time, you will see two numbers appear at once. Also have the option of answering the first one and declining the second one (sending to vm) or putting the first one on hold and accepting the second one. At least that's what I'm able to do on my iphone.

• Like 1

I think call display is pretty simple. One of those numbers, the top one, is the one that has been specified to show up as 'name'. the other would (i believe) be the actual number they are calling from.

One possibility is that the common number is the lower one, and a business switchboard line. The top one would then be the direct line of the person calling you.

That is just a guess. You can google both numbers and see what comes up of course.

There's two possibilities here :)

1- The PBX is forwarding calls, means the person is calling using a number that's being forwarded to another.

2- The person has voIP and one number is listed as name... other is listed as number.

For example, my house number has a different ID. I can change both on the fly anytime I want. When I want to mess with someone I make it their own number and call them :) hehe...

2- The person has voIP and one number is listed as name... other is listed as number.

This was my guess. I have caller ID on my home phone. It shows the number of the caller, and sometimes the name. Some caller IDs don't show the number if the name shows up.

So why would someone bother to do this? To be honest, the first thought that came into mind was something nefarious. Proceed with caution.

• Like 1

I'm guessing it's more of a typo than anything. I can set the name and number to ANY values I like, obviously the number field has to be a number but the name field can be anything including another number.

Having the ability to set the number to anything you like is mildly dangerous as many voice mail systems don't ask for a password if the call "appears" to be coming from the mailbox owner. I have a line programmed at my office that is my home number and use it to zoom into the voice mail at home without having to enter the password.