What Hell is really like?

I believe there IS a guiding energy in the universe, but anyone who claims to know what God IS or, what He wants of us and what is the universal design, is either a liar or a fool. Yhe same must be said of those constructs, Heaven and Hell

Guest s******ecan****

....actually the Yosemite Sam/Bugs Bunny version is an accurate representation

....actually the Yosemite Sam/Bugs Bunny version is an accurate representation

I grew up watching Bugs Bunny, can you remind me what you're talking about? Got a youtube clip or something, I'm sure once I see it I will remember.

I believe Hell can be right here on Earth. With the trauma, tragedy, natural disasters, evil and everything else that can be thrown at us.

When we rest our weary heads is when we will truly find peace, however, while we're here, lets make the best of it.

Lauren

The concept of hell and heaven is a personal one for each and every one of us. For some they are directly related to the Bible and ones religious beliefs or non-beliefs.

For me I am neither presumptuous enough nor faithful enough to grasp their actual existence in an after world or afterlife. My beliefs or concepts have changed with time and continue to evolve with life experiences.

Hell is relegated to me for those times here on Earth when we are a part of or witness those things for which one cannot find any sane or logical reason for being in existence. Be it Darfur and Rwanda, ultimate poverty, unexplained and incomprehensible death, fire, flood or famine, they can all be a part of a living hell that makes up our being at this time.

It is then how one copes or reacts or responds to these hell on Earth situations that bring one to the concept of heaven. It is the ultimate relief brought by goodness and kindness and forgiveness and caring for one another that can and will take that hell away. Sometimes, oftentimes, these are difficult to find, but for those who seek them, the living hell of whatever nature can be dealt with.

We do live in the here and now. We are faced with our daily choices and for any of us our personal demons can be put at bay with a belief in oneself and a recognition that there is no obstacle put in our way that we cannot reverse or work around or learn and benefit from. The choice to help others in tangible and intangible ways is something that brings perspective and relief, and being able to accept help from others when it is desperately needed is something that keeps that hell at a distance.

Care for one another.

One day a guy dies and finds himself in hell. As he is wallowing in despair he has his first meeting with a demon...

Demon: Why so glum chum?

Guy: What do you think? I'm in hell.

Demon: Hell's not so bad. We actually have a lot of fun down here...you a drinkin' man?

Guy: Sure, I love to drink. Love the drinks.

Demon: Well you're gonna love Mondays then. On Mondays that's all we do is drink. Whiskey, tequila, Guinness, wine coolers, diet tab, and fresca...we drink till we throw up and then we drink some more!

Guy: Gee that sounds great.

Demon: You a smoker?

Guy: You better believe it! Love the smoking.

Demon: Alright! You're gonna love Tuesdays. We get the finest cigars from all over the world and smoke our lungs out. If you get cancer - no biggie - you're already dead remember?

Guy: Wow...that's...awesome!

Demon: I bet you like to gamble.

Guy: Why yes as a matter of fact I do. Love the gambling.

Demon: Cause Wednesday you can gamble all you want. Craps, Blackjack, Roulette, Poker, Slots, whatever... If you go Bankrupt...well you're dead anyhow.

Demon: You into drugs?

Guy: Are you kidding? Love drugs! You don't mean...

Demon: That's right! Thursday is drug day. Help yourself to a great big bowl of crack. or smack. Smoke a doobie the size of a submarine. You can do all the drugs you want and if ya overdose - that's right - you're dead - who cares! O.D.!!

Guy: Yowza! I never realized Hell was such a swingin' place!!

Demon: You gay?

Guy: Uh no.

Demon: Ooooh (grimaces) you're really gonna hate Fridays.

I'm pretty sure the fire and brimstone idea is wrong. In fact, I think hell is just the opposite. Hell is an eternal driveway filled with heavy snow that needs to be shoveled. Ever time you feel you are making some progress, Satan drives by with his plow and dumps a new load of heavier snow right in front of you. (Is it spring yet?)

Guest W***ledi*Time
I'm pretty sure the fire and brimstone idea is wrong. In fact, I think hell is just the opposite. Hell is an eternal driveway filled with heavy snow that needs to be shoveled. Ever time you feel you are making some progress, Satan drives by with his plow and dumps a new load of heavier snow right in front of you. (Is it spring yet?)

Hence the term, "when Hell freezes over".

Hell is when your wife says those magical words "Honey we're going to my parents for dinner tonight and my sisters, aunts, grandparents are all going to be there!" Oh the joy that fills my heart when I get to visit my in laws! Que the

• Like 1

One of the people who said it best was George Carlin

192960d1326335674-funny-strange-random-pics-carlin.jpg

One of the only preachers that I ever heard making sense.

Hell does not exist in my mind.

Stephen King once said that Hell is repetion-for eternity. Imagine being stuck in the same grocery store with the same crazy old ladies who think that their carts are crash derby cars for the rest of eternity. Brrr.

My Grandfather always said "War Was Hell" ! He survived Normandy Beach and the war....barely.....

16574558-bfb

I have travelled a great deal and every single time when I am on a beach, I think of him and realize that I am here today on this beach because of the hell my grandpa and the millions of soldiers went through to give us that freedom ! So when some days feel it feels like hell I often find myself thinking of him (we were very very close) and realizing things aren't that bad....

16574561-e94

perhaps meandered off topic there......

• Like 1

I believe hell is the turmoil we create within outselves. We all have the potential to live rich and rewarding lives. Each indivudal creates the life they want and if we are experiencing problems or road blocks we need to go within and check to see if we are following our true path and dreams.

Hell is experienced when we let others or outside influences tell us what is right or wrong.

Live your true life and you will be in heaven here on earth.

• Like 2

Philosophically speaking, what I'm going to say won't be original and it echos much of what has been posted already.

I do believe the concept of heaven and hell is a reward/fear concept that organized religion uses to gain, for lack of a better word, compliance to their doctrine. And don't even get me started on organized religion, their track record, they might be on the road to hell. Just as an example the natives being forced to send their kids to training schools, or the sexual abuse of children at training schools (ie Mount Cashel). I certainly would think that for the natives, or the children, that was hell, at the hands of organized religion.

I also believe so called heaven and hell is both a state of mind, and state of existence, while you are alive. If you are in intense combat in a war zone, living in poverty on the street, living and dying in third world countries (Rwanda come to mind) etc etc etc that to me is hell. If you wake up each day, content and happy, well that is heaven.

I personally am of the belief that you should live for today (yes plan for the future), treat others as you would like to be treated, meaning being treated with respect, and treating others with respect. Really don't even worry about an afterlife consisting of heaven/hell. For all we know there is no afterlife consisting of heaven/hell, maybe this life is it...make the most of it, and you'll spend all your life worrying for nothing

That's my serious post after two humorous posts in this thread

RG

For all we know there is no afterlife consisting of heaven/hell, maybe this life is it...make the most of it, and you'll spend all your life worrying for nothing

RG

I think that this is a greater fear for most people then the idea of going to hell. What if when we die, we...well...die? I think that this is the reason for most religions. They offer us an alternative to ceasing to exist. (Which is unimaginable for most). But if this truely is all we get... Don't waste it. Live your life to the fullest.

I've been to at least three place I would call "hell on earth" and saw with my own eyes the living conditions that some people endure in North America (never mind 3rd world countries).

The South Bronx, New York:

South%20Bronx%20Playground.jpg

The lower east side, Vancouver (East Hasting Street, poorest postal code in Canada): (Except the junkie I witnessed was passed out on a park bench).

Vancouver_GAL01_JANFEB08.jpg

Watts, California (after the riots in 1992):

WATTS%2BRIOTS%2B2.jpg

Edited by Mature Angela

If indeed I believed in Hell + Heaven the Adam Sandler movie :Little Nicky is how I'd envision the whole scenario .

Lead me not into temptation ... Oh HELL ... Just follow me I know a shortcut ;)

Additional Comments:

On a more serious note , my grandfathers brother was shot beside him in the war , making him lose faith :( Experiences like that can imho make one feel or experience Hell as we perceive it .

Speaking of the war....

My paternal grandfather died about 3 months before I was born... he was 70 when he passed away.

My mom said he was a very quiet man, given to solitude and reflection; my father never spoke of his father in loving terms.

I found out that in his early 20s he served and was wounded (shot in the thigh) with countless other Canadians in France in the First World War... I would think that imagery like this could only cause one to envision Hell on earth... living among the dead buddies you fought beside, living in your own filth, being urged over the top knowing that you are probably going to die....

ww1-photos_clip_image001.jpgCanadian%20Pioneers%20Lay%20Trench%20Mats%20at%20Passchendaele.jpgcanadian-troops-climbing.jpg

• Like 4

The scene is a number of people crowded around an institutional coffee urn clutching foam coffee cups and being overseen my one of Satan's little helpers.

One turns to the rest and says, "Even the coffee is cold, they think of everything!"

Can heaven and hell coexist in the same room

Yes

My nephew, born prematurely was placed in neo-natal intensive care

You see a large room, with, for lack of a better word, terrarium like containers where the babies are kept...families around their baby

Some get the bad news, their baby won't make it, he/she will die, and the families responding as expected, breaking down and crying over the loss of their baby...for them NNIC is hell

Others, they get the good news that their baby will live, and the appropriate respond, smiles of joy and thanking the doctors/nurses...for them (and I'm in this group) NNIC is heaven

And this is a daily occurence that the doctors and nurses deal with every day

As a sidebar, for the nurses and doctors who work in this field of medecine,

irrespective of individual outcomes, they are angels, working in a high stress environment

RG