Is Age Just a Number?

When I was a kid, when I was 30, and even when I was 40 I thought that being 60 was truly ancient.

Well, the 60th birthday has just passed and I am thinking about it. Now that I am 60 I can say that I don't feel one bit different from when I was 40 or for that matter from when I was 30 however I cannot say that I feel like a kid again!

My new relationships with people in all of the various contexts that one can imagine both in and out of CERB are not influenced at all, at least by me, by my age.

As years pass as they inevitably do, at what point does age in fact become more than just a number or does it even happen?

As I like to say: Age is All in the... BED! :D

I know younger people whom only do missionary - and I consider them 'old'

I know older people whom swing endlessly from the chandeliers - and I consider them 'young'

So in the end, perception is relatively subjective.

Personally, I prefer to live to the death - with youthful exuberance!

--jumps on the chandelier for a swing--

Long may your big jib draw mrnice!

This is a subject I've been giving serious consideration to lately. It started last fall with my new ads. Everywhere wants to me to put in an age and I just don't know what to put in, I feel like I'm in my early 30's! When I go out with my children, no one believes I'm their mother and I don't relate at all to the number that is my year of birth. I've never looked at anyone as "old" even when I was little because all of the seniors in my life I adored and wanted to be just like them; wrinkles, grey hair and all.

So I've sat and done the lists of pros and cons. The cons list is pretty short; reading glasses on occasion, wanting to get to bed at a reasonable hour and not being able to wear 5 inch stilettos for an entire day are about the only things that have really changed in the last 20 years. The pros list is longer than my arm but the top 5 are...

1. The wisdom to stay present and truly appreciate the moment

2. The joy of not taking any of the little things for granted

3. Amazing relationships that are relatively drama free

4. Amazing physical and sexual awareness that continues to get better

5. Recognizing that life is precious yet not to be taken seriously

What is age? I don't have the answer for that but I've decided that it really doesn't matter in my life; I'm just me. Sometimes I feel 16 and everything is silly and fun, other times I'm ancient with quiet serenity. It is impossible to average out an age that I "am". For work, if I could pick an age to fill in the box, it would be 35 but I know it isn't accurate so I've decided to be ageless. Sometimes I put in 99, other times it's 75 and when I'm not caring I put in "timeless". In my day to day life, I refuse to give a number unless it's on a government form because it all depends on how old I am that day...

cat

• Like 3

Unless you have to bail me out of jail I will not disclose my age unless for for legal purposes. Forget it, nope I'm not telling .

It is on the Do Not Discuss List! I agree with Cat I am ageless and if Cher can turn back time so can I! :icon_smile:

I'm forever 29. I'm not telling my age either but I do look a lot younger than I actually am and can pass for it. I also think it also has to do with your attitude, lifestyle and how much sleep you get. I don't feel old. I still feel like I'm in my late 20's and I'm going to stay there for a little while longer. It also helps when telemarketers call your house asking if your parents are home! lol.

I know I have aged in a good way when I realize that..

Life is what you make of it

I always see the glass as half full

I really don't give a s------ what other people think anymore. It's too tiring.

Have fun and don't be too serious about the trivial things in life.

• Like 1

Guest *ig*a**

I think age is more than just a number, I have met people in their 20"s and they act like their in their 70"s, I too am fast approaching that magical 60 number but I also feel like say 36ish.I think age is a perception of not only how other people look at you but also how you feel and act.

I have been told I don't look my age, so I have no issue with letting people know I am over 50. That way I can enjoy the compliments.

I am fortunate though. I never smoked, went in the Sun or had kids, so my skin tone is still good which is why I have bragging rights to perky breasts. I also believe I won the genetic lottery. My mom was half Irish and French and she always looked younger than her age until she got sick in her 70s.

But appearance is not everything. Like Nicki says, it's all in your attitude and outlook on life.

Sometimes I wake up and say to myself "Wow, just seems like yesterday it was the summer of 1978"?

Seriously though, it is just a number.

Enjoy today, because really that's all we have!

• Like 2

Interesting, I just had a birthday that puts me just north of sixty five, and I would argue that age is an important number. But, you see so many comments such as not acting your age or looking younger, the assumption being that somehow age is somewhat of a negative. I disagree, it's just another part of living.

Sure, I'm already showing some physical signs that reflect the ravages of time, and are a precursor of things to come. I might not perform sexually as I did 20 years ago, but I know with the right partner I can enjoy the mutual experience probably more than I did in my youth, because the intimacy today has a far broader base, founded on experience. I think also with this journey, I am far less inhibited.

The other aspect is rather more personal, now and evolves from the fact that I am now alone. I miss my wife, but have come to terms and developed a certain amount of freedom at this stage. Since I am quite comfortable off, I can afford to experience many new things. I've probably traveled to a dozen countries in the last few years. Rather than dreading the passage of time, embrace it.

For most women, I think that they worry about how their beauty is affected. I think that this is unfounded, as I know women in their fifties and sixties that are absolutely gorgeous. They understand that beauty is not all skin deep, as they rely on a twinkle in the eye and a disarming smile as part of their arsenal.

• Like 6

Age at 16 years old it mattered because I could drive legally and 18 years old because I could drink legally.

Since then it is just a number. It simply just doesn't matter to me in everyday life and friendships. I live my life the way I do and have been told I don't act my age ;) so be it. It is me. I have good friends that are truthfully 40 years or more difference in age between them. I look in the mirror and that is me...if I look older well so be it. I don't stress or even think about it. When I get asked when I am retiring I will say fuck off ...our chat is over. ;) I am not retiring ever. When that time comes I will call up SMQ and she can pleasantly drown me ! (for those of you that saw her recent post )

A quote from Nicki that I have lived by my whole life. Awesome.

"Have fun and don't be too serious about the trivial things in life. "

Take care of business yes ! but don't stress the things in life you can't change !

Over and out

Age is just a number, I honestly believe that being in my early 50's I have more sex drive than I did when I was 40. I was very sexually active from my teens through my late 20's and its like my sexual desires have begun again at 50.

I thoroughly am enjoying every moment, and the life style I'm living. There so many women that I need to meet, BUT I have so much time, so time/age is patience, and good things happened to those that enjoy life to its fullest.

• Like 1

You are as old as you feel, and I feel young and been told I look young. My father looked in his 50's until he reached 80 then got sick and now looks like he is 70, but still very strong(we arm wrestle when I visit him and I let him win once in a while).

I refuse to grow old, so I eat healthy and exercise regularly that is what keeps me young.

I've always felt older and looked younger.

And yes, age is just a number. Most people don't change all that much. This myth that people become wise with age is just that, most young morons just become old morons.

Unless you have to bail me out of jail I will not disclose my age unless for for legal purposes. Forget it, nope I'm not telling .

It is on the Do Not Discuss List! I agree with Cat I am ageless and if Cher can turn back time so can I! :icon_smile:

I really think age is just a number, you are only as old as your feel you are. Seriously, I usually don't "know" my exact age, right now it's an multiple of 10 so I do know but in the ten years between decades I don't keep track.

I always feel absolutely miserable when a lady MUST disclose her date of birth to me (you just can buy travel medical insurance for her on that nice out of the country excursion without it) and while I use the information only for the intended purpose I refuse to do the math.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention that when you're older, you seem to have a bit more knowledge about sex. 10-15 years ago, I liked to think I knew what I was doing but really had no idea. I was young and cute but now that I am in my thirties I am fully aware of what I like and more reciprocal to others and their needs. I am also more aggressive now where I'm not afraid to tell others what I like or if they are doing it wrong. I can really say that I've hit my sexual peak. I've got to have it!

A bit tongue-in-cheek: for somethhing's that's "just a number", a lot of the ladies seem awfully guarded about divulging said number.

Age might not be very important in relationships between people, but this society does have a stigma against couples of very differing age. Remember the "rule" about being to date (your age / 2)+7? That's the societal norms at work. These probably started to keep dirty old men away from impressionable little girls, but are they still necessary?

• Like 1

A bit tongue-in-cheek: for somethhing's that's "just a number", a lot of the ladies seem awfully guarded about divulging said number.

I was always told by older females in my family that it is rude to ask someone their age. Is there a difference if an SP is 42 but she says 40? I could understand if you're advertising at 25 and you're really 35. Or advertising at 28 but you're really 43. That is just wrong. And some SPs are guarded because of their privacy. I think that is reasonable.

I'm in my 30's but is a set in stone number really necessary? I use a fake name, do people have to know my real name too? Is there is a difference between 32 and 35 when it comes to looks? Most likely they could pass for a few years younger if they take care of themelves.

There are some things in this business that are on a need to know basis. Unless you're really trying to fool someone which won't work anyways, I don't think it's a big deal.

• Like 3

Most of my life I've tended to largely ignore birthdays. After all, you're only one day older than you were yesterday. So if 29 and 364 days wasn't bothering you, why should the next day when we "call" ourselves 30.

Well, that held true for me until this year when I turned 50. For whatever reason it bothered me more. I think it was the realization that I'm now well past the half way point of my life, which does produce some introspection. Elderly family members in poor health and nearing death hasn't helped.

At the end of the day, I've resolved to worry less, enjoy life more, and take the time for things that are important. And by important, I mean as defined by me, rather than defined by others.

So everyday is a birthday, and enjoy it to the max.

Porthos

• Like 1

This thread reminds me to the one i made here, at least parts of it.

I've just it 40, and like porthos, i tended to ignore birthdays. This year it bothered me for a few days but i realized its just what it is .. a number. I haven't suddenly grown old, nor do i feel more mature. I still remain the same person. True, i may not look just quite like i looked liked 20 years ago, but still, its all in between the ears. Its all about keeping a youthfull mindset i think, and accepting oneself as we are.

Younger CERB member here, chiming in to agree with what most of you have said. Experience and the passage of time are absolutely factors that can shape who we are, but there are many more. There are also traits that we seem to carry with us throughout our lives, our beliefs, our choices, our sense of style, our sense of humour, our strengths and weaknesses and the stories we tell ourselves when we're bored. I'm fortunate to have friends of all ages, and while I know they've all been shaped by their lived experience, however much or little of it they have, age appears to have no bearing on the diversity of personalities that I've encountered.

I, for example, will probably never stop being wordy and introspective. I believe these to be timeless qualities.

• Like 2

Younger CERB member here, chiming in to agree with what most of you have said. Experience and the passage of time are absolutely factors that can shape who we are, but there are many more. There are also traits that we seem to carry with us throughout our lives, our beliefs, our choices, our sense of style, our sense of humour, our strengths and weaknesses and the stories we tell ourselves when we're bored. I'm fortunate to have friends of all ages, and while I know they've all been shaped by their lived experience, however much or little of it they have, age appears to have no bearing on the diversity of personalities that I've encountered.

I, for example, will probably never stop being wordy and introspective. I believe these to be timeless qualities.

I think you are absolutely right. One of the most interesting things about growing older is seeing how you change, yet remain the same. Which elements of who you remain constant, and which parts evolve, change, develop.

Generally, I know that in some respects I've changed a lot. I'm certainly better prepared to take on some challenges and tasks now than I was 10 years ago. I'm also more aware of some of my less desireable personality traits and able to compensate for them. In many respects though, I remain the same.

What's really neat is seeing my kids grow up and witnessing some of my personality traits reflected back in them. People say my son has many of the same traits as I do, including the same sense of humor and speech mannerisms.

It's a bit humbling!

I am fortunate enough to have a best friend (male) whom I've known since grade 5, which for me was about 47 years ago. Though we live fairly far apart, we still manage to see each other once or twice a year -- and it's always as if no time has passed. I am constantly amazed at how much each of us has grown and changed over the years, yet still remained very much the same in terms of core personality.

Recently I had the pleasure of meeting an old high school friend whom I had not seen in over 35 years. Once again, both of us were surprised at how much we were still the same "person" as we remembered from our youth.

I agree with Julie. It seems to me that our fundamental nature largely stays with us as we age. Either it's wired in or forged very early; perhaps both.

Like many who've already responded to this thread, I don't see myself as a vastly different person today than I was in my 40's, or 30's or even my 20's. My core personality hasn't changed much.

Like Cat, I also see lots of advantages to growing older -- not the least of which is that it sure beats the alternative! :icon_biggrin: Sure there are disadvantages, but there were lots of those when I was young too. So I try and make the most out of each day, work at staying healthy and fit both physically and mentally, and I do my best not to pre-judge others based on their age in the hopes that others will do the same for me!

Thankfully, I seem to have encountered many like-minded people, both young and old, within this community. Kudo's to you all.

And a special thank you to my beautiful wife, for whom my greater age has never been an issue, and who constantly inspires me to be young at heart.

Age expressed in years is meaningless if you are in good health.

I am still in regular contact with guys I first met in a hobby back in the 'Sixties and 'Seventies. We make it a point to get together twice a year (which is, coincidentally next weekend.) We rent a beautiful fairgrounds in New Hampshire and have a grand party for two days with three thousand of our closest friends.

Most of us are in our fifties and sixties. We have come to the conclusion that sixty is now what forty used to be years ago. The aging process is very much on our minds. The only "magic number" that need concern us is 65 which is when one becomes eligible for Canada/Quebec Pension, OAS, or Social Security/Medicare in the US.

However, all this notwithstanding, IMHO, if you still can perform sexually and cause a lady to squeal with delight as she pops her cork you are not old.