It is incredibly sad. My hearts go out to those affected.

I am also concerned about the discourse surrounding mental illness... http://healthland.time.com/2012/07/31/mass-murder-and-mental-illness-the-interplay-of-stigma-culture-and-disease/

And also upset that media is handling this so badly. Misinformation in the name of leading news, CNN reported the profile of a man with the same name in error - how horrible - and they have interviews with the children of all things.

I just read about this now.... moments ago I turned and took a long look at my four year old daughter and .... Wow !!! A well of emotion.... I can't imagine what those folks are going through :(

• Like 1

It's heart wrenching,tragic,and so sad when kids at the age 5-10 are wiped out in an instant.

On a side note and not debating it here in his thread, but my lord the USA has to revisit their gun control act. Especially when a young man can get that kind of ammunition.

• Like 2

I'm not into the whole gun control debate.....that's more of an urban vs. rural divide. However, someone/thing has to control these nut cases that walk amongst us. Omg...those poor innocent children and their families. I hope they soon come up with the genome mapping that allows us to prevent these tragedies. If anything will ever unite normal people, it is an event like this. This is the absolute worst of the worst.

I just read about this now.... moments ago I turned and took a long look at my four year old daughter and .... Wow !!! A well of emotion.... I can't imagine what those folks are going through :(

i hope you took your daughter and hugged her and the same as everyone else that has a young child because there are mother's and father's tonight that can't hug there kids

my heart goes out to all the famlies who lost there young ones on this sad day with the holiday season here my heart goes out to them and if any of members have kids go up them and give them a hug and tell them you love them lets all pray

Words are impotent in the face of such enormous tragedy. The best any of us can hope for when explosions of such reckless waste and loss erupt is that the sacrifice of tender innocence purchases enough wisdom to protect tomorrow's children. This is beyond anything any of us can imagine, but the hope that we learn something, anything, should not be beyond anyone. Otherwise those lives were lost for nothing.

Personally, from my experience, I don't believe such incidents are so much a 'human race' thing as it is a 'cultural' thing.

Canadians (and others) have a comparable # of guns, but yet don't act in such selfish and greedy murderous ways. Greed is a common practice in America. (ex: 9 out of 10 surveyed high school students in USA believe bribery is just how business is done in America, as they say their parents lead by example to act this way.)

Once again - Greed breeds mean deeds.

As a parent of a younger child, I cannot hold back tears to the fact there are so many selfish greedy people in the World whom only care about themselves and not the community they are part of. This is not just a gun issue, as there are many (MANY) greedy people in Canada too. Shameful choice of life to live. Apathetic conformity to wrong-doing has never made the World a better place. Not holding greedy people accountable, whether in big or small ways, is cowardly (and greedy in itself). Parasites on society are degrading humanity.

Shame on ALL self-centered people. Shame. :(

Kudos to ALL those with true community spirit. :)

RIP beloved ones. Bless all of you.

• Like 1

I can't even put it into words to describe this tradgedy only that it is so sad and I feel for the families that are dealing with this and have lost children, friends and family members. What a senseless act! Which leads me to ask, what is it about this time of year that makes people go bezerk?

Also, on a side note. those 3 children in Montreal who were allegedly murdered by their mother. It's just something I can't fathom when it comes to innocent lives who are helpless in defending themselves. :(

The guy killed his mother at school and then went on a suicidal rampage.

His parents divorced four years ago. I wonder if he blamed his mother for the divorce? I wonder if he was prescribed antidepressants when he was 16? The effects of antidepressants can be crazy enough on adults, but research shows that AD's can really fuck up developing minds.

It's not just gun control which needs to be tightened, it's the glorification of mass violence in the media which needs to be restrained; movies, videogames, and in the news. There should be a blackout on all news coverage of such events, just as the media here self-censor their suicide stories. If he was so angry with his mother, why didn't he just kill her at home? No, he wouldn't have been satisfied with that. He wanted to go out in flames, with the world knowing his name for a few days. He wanted glorification. He knew his acts would get massive media attention. What the hell do we expect when people on psychoactive drugs, legal or otherwise, spend their waking hours obsessed with ultraviolent videogames, immersed in their own little detached world of violence? No, it's not just gun control, because somebody hell-bent on mass killing can do it many other ways.

It's a tragedy, but not the first and not the last. This is becoming all too commonplace.

(Or maybe he blamed his father for the divorce and knew this would really fuck up his life. Hmmm. Or maybe he was on meds before they divorced and the meds made him mad; there is a black box warning on some meds which warn of suicidal/homicidal tendencies in teens)