Have you watched any good movies lately?

Colonia... a film set in Chile in 1973... based on fact... a photographer is sent to a cult site for torture and political rehabilitation... his girl friend (Emma Watson) joins the cult to find out what happened to him and get him out... but they are now both trapped in this horrible cult. They eventually meet up and try to escape. The last minute chase across the airport was a bit much, but overall the film was well done.

Golden Years... a film from England about retired folks struggling with finances... who turn to robbery to make ends meet. The film is fun, but the ending is rather unlikely.

Eliminators - the level of violence is consistent with the plot and the strory is well acted and filmed in London and the English countryside.

Guest J**ck*9

I saw Dunkirk with my son. This is an incredible movie. There is no gory or graphic violence, however, the tense and suspense filled scenes takes your breath away and keeps you on the edge of your seat. I highly recommend this movie.

GIRL TRIP - has to be one of the best "chick flicks" I've seen in the longest time.

Ill tell you I laughed and cried the whole movie and when I mean laughed I mean that type of laughing where you can't breathe because your cramping up from historical laughter.

Go see it and THANK ME LATER xo also a great movie to see over a nice bottle of wine with a few gfs

Guest Prufrock Cummings

It Comes at Night. Very creepy suspenseful movie with a bleak view of humanity in a post apocalyptic world.

Guest Prufrock Cummings

I saw the French horror film Raw this weekend. Incredible film, shocking at times (well, many times), about a coming of age movie about a vegetarian who tries meat for the first time during a first year hazing event at veterinary school. Once trying meat, she discovers something about herself...won't say anything more...except the film isn't for the weak of heart!

"Good" not really.

Finally decided to see Wonder Woman... yawn... if it wasn't for the fact that Gal Gadot is beautiful and has a cute accent, I'd have switch it off in 5 minutes... Gadot's body helped overcome the fact that she couldn't act her way out of a paper bag. I'm always amused that female warriors in Hollywood films are shown with no protection for their thighs or for that mater most of their body.... shin guards and arm guards apparently are enough to protect her from machine guns etc.. Overall a very badly scripted movie based on an incredibly stupid story... Great special effects. If you wanted to watch a film solely for special effects then this would be your film. It had its moment I guess... That humans don't need Aries to be violent (duhh)... otherwise what a pathetic film... Of course to be honest I hate superhero films in general with Logan being about the only exception to the bad scripting bad story telling stupid idea rule in superhero films... (Dead pool was funny so that was ok). I wish Hollywood would grow up and stop telling children stories about fake super heroes in movies. Been hoping since the 1980s for an end to the endless parade of awful movies based on comic books... please let it end!!! I want movies with a story that is worth paying attention to!!! HBO can do it... why can't Hollywood.

"Rocco," a very goog documentary about Rocco Siffredi. The excellent camera shows the complex relationship between Rocco and his brother Gabriele - I would call it an 'emasculating' relationship. The strong impact of his young brother's death and his deceased mother on Rocco's life and personality. Precious subtleties caught by the camera here and there to show us the other side of a situation or a mental/emotional state of some protagonists. An opening narration by Rocco himself that still remains quite mysterious. This is really the filmmaking that I found particularly interesting.

• Like 1

Just came back from watching "Blade Runner 2049" and it's a very good and visually stunning movie. But if you're one of those who thinks the first movie was long , boring and pretentious, you'll likely feel the same about this one. But if you enjoy deep sci-fi movies with great visuals combined to a "film noire" genre and enjoy the mythology, you'll certainly like it the way I did.

If you want a friendly advice, stay away from the reviews and enjoy the surprises this movie offer.

• Like 2

Guest n*gu**6

Saw American Assassin not long ago. It was a decent movie. Though I preferred Hitman's Bodyguard by far.

"Security" with Antonio Banderas and Ben Kingsley. You can find it on Netflix. Good, albeit violent, action adventure film set in a mall.

Watched the action thriller " The Foreigner" starring action stars Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan in the theater with my ATF, the lovely Eva. :icon_biggrin: Being Jackie Chan's fans, we thoroughly enjoyed the action as well as the dramatic acting.

Jackie Chan is a humble London businessman whose long-buried past erupts in a revenge-fuelled vendetta when his teenage daughter dies in a senseless act of politically motivated terrorism. His relentless search to find the terrorists leads to a cat-and-mouse conflict with a British government official Hennessy (Pierce Brosnan), whose own past may hold the clues to the identities of the elusive killers.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1615160/...r/rm3114937344

Guest n*gu**6

Watched Beauty and the Beast with Emma Watson the other evening for Family Movie Night. Actually held my attention. Thought it was rather well done.

Guest Prufrock Cummings

Detroit. Excellent retelling of the Detroit riots in 67, and the murder of three young African American men at the hands of dirty police.

Kathryn Bigelow Directs another awesome fact based film like some of her other masterpieces like The Hurt Locker, and Zero Dark Thirty.

Seen "Star Wars: The Last Jedi" last night. A great movie if you enjoy sci-fi and this franchise. Visually stunning, surprisingly funny, a few throwbacks to previous movies and without going into spoilers has a few unexpected twists. Not perfect with an unnecessary side quest that could maybe impact a future movie, but it's a minor nitpick for a great sci-fi/fantasy movie.

I strongly recommend.

• Like 1

I have never chimed on the good movie thread and I have not seen if any one commented on these 2 movies that I have seen recently.

The first one is Wonder, very well made movie about a kid with facial defect from birth. It made me cry at the end.

Second is The book of Henry, another well made movie and it also made me cry.

I'm a comedy type of guy but I also like thrillers and family movies.

I echo both Gregsand's and emiafish's recommendations of The Last Jedi. It's amazing watching in a 3D version and even more amazing watching while snuggled up with my beautiful ATF.

• Like 1

Went looking for a feel-good holiday film and came across "Christmas Inheritance" on Netflix. It fit the bill. Although supposed to be set in the US it was filmed in Ontario. Product of provincial and national film credits...