When the family pet passes away :(

This is so sad. I'm teary eyed reading about it. I have not yet had to deal with the loss of a pet as an adult. Growing up, my parents always shielded us from the heartache.

I dread the day I have to face this reality. I've had my cat for 11 years now, and when his time comes I will be crushed and not handle it well. I love the idea of a vet coming to the home and I'm in awe of how you described the professionalism and compassion that your vet had.

• Like 2

This really made me cry, and brought back memories. I'm very sorry for your loss, it really is like losing a member of your family :(

I recently had my 12 year old dog pass away as well. We got him when he was a puppy and I was quite young too. I raised him mainly by myself, since my parents at the time traveled a lot. He was my buddy and I loved him to bits. I didn't see him much when I moved out on my own, but about 2 years ago my dad decided to move into his new girlfriend's small condo, and they couldn't take the dog, so I brought him to stay with me. He was starting to get very sick and old by then, since Dobermans tend to have a lot of health issues. It was very rough watching him get older, but I took care of him as best as I could. A month before I planned to move to Montreal, the vet told us he had cancer, and it would only be more and more painful for him. My dad scheduled the time to put him to sleep, but it was the day after I was supposed to move. I spent the whole night before cuddling with him, and brought him Timbits(his favourite) but I didn't get to be there for his final moments, which breaks my heart.

I was never much of a dog person, but I loved him so much, and miss having my bud around. Pets really do make your life better with their loyal companionship and love!

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 3

loosing a dog/cat is heartbreaking. Sorry for your loss.

But talk about timming with this one.....my kids rabit died on easter....wtf!!

Sorry kids the easter bunny is dead. After a little cry we did laugh a little.

• Like 2

Someguy,

Aww I'm really sorry to hear about your family dog passing away. He knows he lived a good life with you and that's the most important and he passed in dignity surrounded with those who loved him.

Having been there twice, once having my cat die in my arms and then having to put down his brother exactly 2 years later at the vet, I feel your pain and sorrow. It never is easy but he did live a good life with you and your family.

They are never truly gone tho. He will always be near you. You may begin to sense him around the house and interesting things may happen. My cat used to jump on the kitchen table and knock things over. About a year after he was gone, a plate fell off the table but didn't break. I believe it was him then again I experience a lot of paranormal activity all the time.

The pain never truly goes away. These pets always provide unconditional love and become like another family member. I miss my pets everyday and cry sometimes when thinking about them but they often visit me in my dreams and that makes me feel better.

Many hugs to you Someguy! xo

• Like 2

Losing a family pet is never easy but they become such a significant part of each day in your family life that they become just like another member of the family. It's amazing how much joy they can bring us with their truly unconditional love.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

• Like 3

So sorry for you, your daughter and family's loss. You were very thoughtful to have someone come by. I can certainly relate, I like your daughter, am what some would consider an animal fanatic. I have two senior dogs which I adore and the thought of losing them is really beyond my comprehension, yet a reality, I too will have to face one day. Thank you for sharing your experience.

• Like 2

I'm sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine the pain that you are feeling as I never had that happen to me, and definitely don't know what I would do if I lost my little girl.

• Like 1

sorry to hear about your loss i nearly loss one of mine 2 weeks ago i have 3 golden retievers the oldest 11 it was the oldest one had to get emergency surgery on her.I guess you get to know your dogs after that long because i knew there was something wrong with her she was not moving around like before.i had her at the vet the week before. the other 2 had to go for needles so i took her back they did xrays and seen some masses inside her they did the operation and she's fine now so far but why they didn't do xrays the first time not sure.

• Like 1

Guest N***he**Ont**y

Sorry for your loss.I had to put my beloved dog Cody (The Prince Of Thieves) down this past November to due to a tumour obstruction to his bowel. I still miss him and it will awhile before adopting another dog.

Sorry to hear of your loss SG and thank you for sharing your story with us. Reaching that decision to put your friend to sleep is most difficult, but I believe it's a compassionate kindness. Not easy & I know you and your family are hurting.

My family went through a similar experience last year with our friend. The vet visited and helped us through the process.

I'm sure you have many fine memories. I hope they will help provide some comfort.

• Like 1

When I was a kid, when it was time for the dog to die, my father got out the shotgun and the shovel. Once an animal starts suffering terribly it's time to put it out of its misery. Blowing its head off is a hard thing to do, as I remember my father coming back with tears in his eyes, but you have to do what you have to do.

I suppose city dwellers have no choice but to call the vet, but buckshot is just as humane and much quicker and cheaper. Bury him and if there are any questions afterward, he "ran away to die".

• Like 1

Guest A**aTo**h

Someguy, I am sorry to hear about your loss, but it was obviously for the best from the sounds of everything you wrote. I'm happy the fries and McBurger were enjoyed :)

I just want to say thank you for your post because I never knew that vets would come to a house to perform such a service. Someone dear to me has a beloved pet that is not doing well, so I am going to let them know that this service is available. The dog is petrified going to the vet (picked up many fears in its old age, of late), so a home visit sounds like a way that is much easier on the pet (and the adoptive family too).

Thank you for sharing, and best wishes to you over the next while getting over the loss of your loved family member.

Thanks everyone for the responses. The house feels different without the dog. The other dog and cat's keep looking for him. I am sure he is at peace and we will remember him as a active loving dog. I am glad that sharing this experience has giving some of you the information that you can have a vet visit you and put your dog asleep in a comfortable family setting and will take the body away for cremation for you. This ensures a stress free environment for the dog and the family. It's a nice way for the family to be with him when he passes away peacefully.

You don't realize the love that the pet has generated over the years, till they are gone. But we had many years of enjoyment with him. :)

Damn...I wanted to write something but it made me so upset thinking about my own that died.

I am so sorry for your loss

• Like 1

Guest K***e D****ls

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your fur-baby. I grew up with a lot of animals around and each one had their own personality and quirks, just like any person does. They very much become part of the family in an instant. It's that unconditional love, how excited they are to see you every damn day, the way they look at you and rest their head in your lap. We had a pet cemetery at the far back of the property and even as an adult, I've made trips back there to close my eyes and remember things about some of my favorites- funny stories, the way they smelled, inevitable skunk sprays...

I have 3 animals now and I'm more attached to them than I am almost any other human. Two are getting older and I've started thinking about how I'm going to handle the end for them. I know I'll be a complete mess, so my heart goes out to you for your loss.

I saw a beautiful card about pet loss recently: 'If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.'

I just saw this. So sorry for your loss I lost my fur baby this morning. We had a great evening late last night. He was full of energy, had a great meal and when I went downstairs this morning he was gone. Slipped away in his sleep. Wondering who I will talk to everyday :(.

• Like 3

I feel your pain. I had to to put my cat to sleep a few days ago, because of cancer. He arrived at my home a couple of years ago, most likely dumped by his previous owner, since he was super skinny and full with ticks.

Every night, when I would watch TV, he would sleep on my belly.

I'll miss you, buddy :(

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about your loss I recently lost my dog that I had for 13 year's I was about 11 when I got him so I grow up with him by my side. When I decided to put him to sleep I had to take him there because I live outside of the city he passed in my arms as I carried him to the vet clinic to this day I can't look at his photos I really want to I just get really emotional. So I wish you and your family all the best and hope you start to feel a bit better soon.

• Like 3

The vet dropped of the dog's ashes yesterday. She offers a great service. She brought the ashes back to our home along with a card and chatted with us for a while, and said we could call her any time. The house feels different now that the dog is gone. We miss him. Today my wife and I were thinking about going to a dog breeder and getting another puppy. We were saying that we weren't going to get another dog. as we have another older dog now that is deaf and blind. But we miss having a active dog. So who knows, we may get another dog.

My condolences to you and family, I feel your pain been through it 4 times and it never gets easier to lose the closest friend a person can have. I do like to say I was impressed with how your vet handled the situation, he/she is a stand up person, the experiences i've had with vets are never great, they want to gouge you at this time in your pets life they love to feed on emotions. One experience I had a vet wanted to charge me an extra 40$ to be with my friend as they euthanized him, I asked why the nurse said it was for the stress the doctor goes through when pet owners cry, I almost lost it on her. I did petitioned them to death until they closed shop.

Let time heal the memories and when you are ready always get a rescue you are helping a lost soul and creating new fun memories.

good luck.

• Like 1

I had a hamster that stood out from all the other pets so much because she was sooo intelligent! i used to let her wonder around my room and when I called her by her name she listened. when she had to pee she would come bug me to put her in her cage to go to her little corner potty. she escaped a few times from her cage and I had to run around the house yelling for her so she would come out. damn thing was too smart I had to lock her cage up good. I even gave her my baby blanket, she loved to sleep on it.

RIP. Tasha :(

none of my other hamsters or bunnies were ever as smart as her! after she passed I got one that looked just like Tasha & named her Natasha. well she turned out to be an evil twin.... I ended up getting rid of her cause she was very mean and bite me everytime I tried to clean the cage or feed her.

• Like 2