Federal Election 2015

Hopefully Canadians will wake up on Tuesday to the Canada of old, a kind and caring nation. My fingers are crossed that your nightmare will finally be over!

• Like 1

I had a Liberal rep come to my door last night and by the end of it I just felt embarassed for them. I have not followed the election very closely, so I honestly thought I had maybe missed the part where one of these guys articulated some sort of plan or vision. The rep just spouted the same old meaningless slogans and buzzwords. I ultimately put it as bluntly as possible asking "If the Liberals won a majority, what would be the first three things they would do?" and the reps were stumped. Like I said, I pitied them. It was just embarassing.

In fairness to the rep that came to your door, and I'm having flashbacks to my university days when I volunteered for a candidate for a federal election, we were instructed, more like ordered, not to discuss any policy issues or platform of the party...just hand out a pamphlet and give a phone number if a person wants to discuss any policy issues

Only certain people can speak about policy

Parties, all parties, control the message they send out

And low level (like I was) volunteers don't send out policy messages, they hand out pamphlets...its one way the message is controlled.

A flashback rambling

RG

I am a bit of a realist and have to think that the repealing of C36 won't be the number one priority of any new government... I am very doubtful that they will use up any political capital on an issue that will not help them politically.

What i think we can hope for is that an NDP or Liberal government will temper the way the law is applied by LE and the justice system.

Just my Opinion

In my opinion it's very unlikely, unless of course their policy wonks and pollsters tell them it's a winner politically with the mainstream and an issue that they can win or lose an election on which it really isn't. The vast majority could care less because as a single issue it doesn't affect them one way or another.

When elected the goal of government from minute one is to be re-elected and if elected with a minority not getting defeated until they want to be defeated.

So I'd expect a reaction like while we might agree in principle more serious study is required before making any firm decision. They'll do the same thing with marijuana reform.

Peace

MG

Assuming a Liberal or NDP government is elected, what's the best way to lobby them to at least refer the issue to the SCC, and /or have the bill repealed? If all we can hope for is that the next government tempers the way the law is applied, it doesn't really do much good. It's similar to the old laws where 'keeping a common bawdy house' for incalls was rarely, if ever enforced. Though the point is, it could have been, on the whim of LE. That would hold true as well for C-36 - the law will still be the law.

I'm sure the above posters are correct when they said that this issue won't be front and center for a new government since it won't serve their current political agenda. However, I'm sure no one here wants it to fall on deaf ears and once again be cast by the wayside, either. So I ask, what's the way out? Are we truly stuck with C-36 until someone has the gumption to actively challenge it, (e.g. a replay of Bedford) or is there another alternative?

Under a best case scenario all I can see happening with a new government next week is a slightly softer approach. There is no political advantage to repealing the new law... what we will see is a federal government that more closely reflects where many of the provinces are... taking the approach to work with sex workers with les emphasis on prosecution.

While I think the majority of people in Canada support a woman's right to use her body as she sees fit in theory there is still a stigma that exists within society... they don't want to sex workers charged or forced to work in dangerous situation but they still see the industry as one that is forced on workers due to social and economic pressures. They agree a woman can sell sexual services if she wants to but still think there must be something wrong if she does.

I live in Newfoundland and about 4 years ago a report was prepared for government on the sex trade in the province at the time the report made the news but was not released because it was argued that it's release would put sex workers who contributed to the report at risk. Last week this report was released after an decision was made by the privacy Commissioner and since then we have seen a parade of media on the issues in this 4 year old report... the headline in today's paper is "Violence in local sex trade: It's absolutely a reality"...while i am not debating the presence of abuse and violence I am just suggesting that for as long as that is the image of this industry then the likelihood of politicians acting to legalize it and become the fodder of the right wings is slim. It is easy to argue the negatives of the new law when you are in opposition and don't actually have to act it will be quite another to choose to take on this issue after the election. We heard great rhetoric in Ontario from the premier about the negatives of the law... but we did not see her t the actual step to refer it to the courts.

What we will need is a challenge of this law in the courts like Bedford which will force the government of the day to act... hopefully the new government wil wil more respectful of t supreme court.... but let's face it this is 5 to 10 years in the making.

Just my Opinion

• Like 1

I try to be an optimist and positive and a glass half full guy most of the time, always tempered with at least some degree of practicality.

Voting. Well, I knew it was not going to be Harper. Mulcair dropped himself from my #1 slot when he played the same political games as Harper when he dropped out of the national women's debate. That then left me with Trudeau and May.

Well, I cannot believe Trudeau's stunt of having his chairman of his election committee being a paid lobbyist advising oil companies on how to deal with a Liberal government. Now he sounds like Harper giving the same word for word excuses as Harper did for Nigel Wright. And the nerve of Harper chastising Trudeau.

Are they all the very same unprincipled, unethical, lying politicians?

So it may be Green? Or back to NDP? Geeze!

• Like 2

I try to be an optimist and positive and a glass half full guy most of the time, always tempered with at least some degree of practicality.

Voting. Well, I knew it was not going to be Harper. Mulcair dropped himself from my #1 slot when he played the same political games as Harper when he dropped out of the national women's debate. That then left me with Trudeau and May.

Well, I cannot believe Trudeau's stunt of having his chairman of his election committee being a paid lobbyist advising oil companies on how to deal with a Liberal government. Now he sounds like Harper giving the same word for word excuses as Harper did for Nigel Wright. And the nerve of Harper chastising Trudeau.

I am not sure in the long run there is much difference between the 3 main parties... but I do think Mr Harper ha worn out his welcome with Canada and it's time for him to Go.

Just my Opinion

• Like 2

I think we need a riding-by-riding approach. Harper has to go. Which local candidate has the best chance of beating the Conservative in your area? Vote for that candidate, would be my advice. ABC.

• Like 3

Guest s******ecan****

I don't think a Liberal or NDP government would repeal C-36. They have no influence on how it is policed either since that is largely a municipal decision. We're stuck with that law until it gets struck down by the SC.

Additional Comments:

http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/poll-tracker/2015/index.html

Updated projections

I'm hoping they're accurate. I've never disliked a PM as much as I do Harper. I'm really looking forward to his concession speech and resignation.

So Harper says marijuana is "infinitely worse than tobacco".

But cavorting with crackheads like the Fords is okay?

I don't trust anyone so eager to grovel for votes. That was sickening.

Harper's boasting about his economic management is all spin and no substance. Canada was the only G8 economy in recession this year. And we only emerged from the 2008 crisis relatively ok because of the regulatory regime that previous Liberal governments had put in place. These clowns would probably have dismantled it if they had had the chance.

Harper's "getting ready" to move out. Reports of frantic shredding at the PMO! :)

But it's too soon to celebrate. Get out and vote! Encourage your friends and families to vote!

Guest s******ecan****
Harper's "getting ready" to move out. Reports of frantic shredding at the PMO! :)

But it's too soon to celebrate. Get out and vote! Encourage your friends and families to vote!

My slogan for the day

"Anticipating Celebrating"

Here we are, Oct. 19th. and I don't even know yet for who I'm going to vote...

I feel like all the debate is around a seduction campain for blue collar. Some subjects have been drop but are of the upmost importance.

-Immigration;

-Student loans;

-International help;

-Agriculture;

-Economical developement in small regions;

-Ressources and programs other then wallfare for lower class and the poors;

I feel like they are just trying to have us forget about the real problems here just by giving up some useless gifts, such as marijuana decriminalization. Sure, all the offers are appealing, but my daughter will turn 18 y.o. during this present term, and I don't see any party that will help her in life.

At 18 (in less than 4 years), my little one, who has issues in school, will be told that her government will create jobs miraculously, smoking weed is a good thing, and they won't help her pay for her education... Thanks Trudeau.

Mulcair, that seems to focus his campain on Justin Trudeau not being ready and the environment. Well, M. Mulcair sold humid protected soils a few years back to build condos in Laval, without even bother the laws...

I don't want to think of Harper. Thanks for nothing, M. Prime Minister, and hopefullly, good riddance. Just for trying to assimilate Canadians in American war and oppression culture, not writting about your environmental gamble...

Hum, I couldn't write about Duceppe. He's just been totally wiped out of the run. He's been so silent, I don't even know what his plan would look like.

And last but not least, Bloc Pot. No comments.

Shit.

Voted as well, Harper don't let the door hit you on the way out... Well actually please do.

I hope we see the best side of Harper, if there is such a thing lol... But I'll wait for the results tonight and see how things play out... It'll be close I think.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Guest s******ecan****
Here we are, Oct. 19th. and I don't even know yet for who I'm going to vote...

I feel like all the debate is around a seduction campain for blue collar. Some subjects have been drop but are of the upmost importance.

-Immigration;

-Student loans;

-International help;

-Agriculture;

-Economical developement in small regions;

-Ressources and programs other then wallfare for lower class and the poors;

I feel like they are just trying to have us forget about the real problems here just by giving up some useless gifts, such as marijuana decriminalization. Sure, all the offers are appealing, but my daughter will turn 18 y.o. during this present term, and I don't see any party that will help her in life.

At 18 (in less than 4 years), my little one, who has issues in school, will be told that her government will create jobs miraculously, smoking weed is a good thing, and they won't help her pay for her education... Thanks Trudeau.

Mulcair, that seems to focus his campain on Justin Trudeau not being ready and the environment. Well, M. Mulcair sold humid protected soils a few years back to build condos in Laval, without even bother the laws...

I don't want to think of Harper. Thanks for nothing, M. Prime Minister, and hopefullly, good riddance. Just for trying to assimilate Canadians in American war and oppression culture, not writting about your environmental gamble...

Hum, I couldn't write about Duceppe. He's just been totally wiped out of the run. He's been so silent, I don't even know what his plan would look like.

And last but not least, Bloc Pot. No comments.

Shit.

I hear you, our so called leaders and representatives are more often than not too busy gaming the system and enriching themselves at the expense of doing the real work of public governance.

More than once I didn't make up my mind until I was sitting at the table pencil in hand and ballot before me.

In the end go with your gut an know that while no candidate is perfect many do offer some redeeming qualities.

In the end go with your gut an know that while no candidate is perfect many do offer some redeeming qualities.

And some have no redeeming qualities at all...

Guest *Ste***cque**

Governments shouldn't micro manage its citizens. It's up to each of us to be responsible citizens. Governments exist to promote Unity, Justice, Protection and general Welfare of its citizens. Harpers Cons are wilfully polarizing, intransigent and unsympathetic to those less fortunate. That's not my idea of good governance. It's time for someone who can regain those ideals that are so important to good government.

In fairness to the rep that came to your door, and I'm having flashbacks to my university days when I volunteered for a candidate for a federal election, we were instructed, more like ordered, not to discuss any policy issues or platform of the party...just hand out a pamphlet and give a phone number if a person wants to discuss any policy issues

Only certain people can speak about policy

Parties, all parties, control the message they send out

And low level (like I was) volunteers don't send out policy messages, they hand out pamphlets...its one way the message is controlled.

A flashback rambling

RG

In this case it was the reps who offered to discuss the platform of the Liberal Party with me. If they had just said they were there to make me aware of the voting day and polling locations, I wouldn't have pressed them. They specifically asked me if I was aware of Mr. Trudeau's platform and I said I hadn't heard anything concrete from him, or any of the parties really.

It may well be a fascinating evening between watching election results and the Jays.

I have no idea if anyone here is making predictions but right now I am actually fearful of a total Conservative collapse right across the country. Good on that except I do not want a majority government of any sort.

Brian Mulroney did that to the Conservatives when he left as Canada's most hated Prime Minister and Harper has now taken that crown hands down.

However wouldn't it be nice to see Harper and Michelle Remple and a couple more sitting in the back benches. He could just tell them what to say instead of having to write it out on cue cards.

A Liberal minority, the NDP in opposition and the Conservatives as a distant third is my prediction.

• Like 2

It may well be a fascinating evening between watching election results and the Jays.

I have no idea if anyone here is making predictions but right now I am actually fearful of a total Conservative collapse right across the country. Good on that except I do not want a majority government of any sort.

Brian Mulroney did that to the Conservatives when he left as Canada's most hated Prime Minister and Harper has now taken that crown hands down.

However wouldn't it be nice to see Harper and Michelle Remple and a couple more sitting in the back benches. He could just tell them what to say instead of having to write it out on cue cards.

A Liberal minority, the NDP in opposition and the Conservatives as a distant third is my prediction.

Collapse? I would not mind, but how sweet would it be to see Poilievre, Kenney and a few others stuck in the back seats without even having sufficient numbers to form an official party....

Blue Jays? Meh! :-)

• Like 3

I am a bit of a realist and have to think that the repealing of C36 won't be the number one priority of any new government...

What i think we can hope for is that an NDP or Liberal government will temper the way the law is applied by LE and the justice system.

Just my Opinion

Correct me if I'm wrong, but short of repealing, or at least ammending C-36, I don't see how a Liberal or NDP government could really temper the way the law is applied. Enforcement is done on a municipal level, so how much LE resouces are allocated to something like C-36 would depend largely on a particular Police Department's / Police Chief's priorites, would it not?

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but short of repealing, or at least ammending C-36, I don't see how a Liberal or NDP government could really temper the way the law is applied. Enforcement is done on a municipal level, so how much LE resouces are allocated to something like C-36 would depend largely on a particular Police Department's / Police Chief's priorites, would it not?

You are correct... what I was suggesting was that I don't think the new government will use political capital on this issue so there is little chance they will move to replace t law.

If however the tone set by the justice department is that it is not encouraging enforcement except in the cases of trafficking then this would have some impact on law enforcement agencies.

For the most part the enforcement of this law will be determined by provincial and municipal police forces but the law is a federal law ... Bottom line for me is we will have this law till it is challenged.

Just my Opinion

The Liberals are now in majority territory... As for Stephen Harper - stick a fork in him - He's done!

• Like 1