The hopes and the dreams of a nation yearning for change coalesced into a massive wave of red bringing Justin Trudeau to the Prime Minister's Office.... we set lofty goals for him and had great expectations but here we are 12 hours into his leadership of this great country and what has he done... where is this change we so deeply yearned for... I fear he is like all those other politicians... they get elected and quickly forget who they are there to serve...

(note tongue in cheek)

• Like 1

I think this a great result, and gives him a chance to do some things that would have been troublesome with a minority. Remember that it will still take several weeks to transition. He has great resources, so I believe he will have a strong cabinet to rely on.

I would hope to see progress in a shorter time span, say a year. Of interest is your list has many items that are dependent on provincial support,and I do expect him to be far more open to dealing with the provincial premiers. Also certain items will be priorities.

Some items for your list.

-dealing with the senate

-repairing the relations with the public service

-giving our vets a fair shake

-changes in the foreign policy

-restoring immigration and refugee fairness

-give the navy some new ships

-undo some of Harpers damage created by law and order agenda

-show some respect to the supreme court

• Like 1

The hopes and the dreams of a nation yearning for change coalesced into a massive wave of red bringing Justin Trudeau to the Prime Minister's Office.... we set loft goals for him and had great expectations but here we are 12 hours into his leadership of this great country and what has he done... where is this change we so deeply yearned for... I fear he is like all those other politicians... they get elected and quickly forget who they are there to serve...

(note tongue in cheek)

Lol. I certainly wasn't suggesting that change should have happened by this morning. Just that a lot of promises were made (as is normal for a campaign) but we should not allow him to forget them all over the next 4-5 years. It's easy to promise the world during such a campaign, particularly in the beginning when they were in third place and unlikely to get elected. I just hope it wasn't all talk. Time will tell.

Lol. I certainly wasn't suggesting that change should have happened by this morning. Just that a lot of promises were made (as is normal for a campaign) but we should not allow him to forget them all over the next 4-5 years. It's easy to promise the world during such a campaign, particularly in the beginning when they were in third place and unlikely to get elected. I just hope it wasn't all talk. Time will tell.

No I hear what you are saying... my tongue in cheek post was not directed at your comments more just a reflection that while I am delighted to see Harper gone I don't hold a great deal of Hope that the Liberals will be much better in the long run. I am old enough to remember the government's of Paul Martin, John Chretien, John Turner and The 1st Mr Trudeau and frankly they are not all great memories... I expect that it will not be long before we will be complaining about this government too. Political leadership is not easy.

• Like 2

Expect a GST increase in the first budget to help pay for all his promises

That's quite a list there. Hope the higher tax on the top 1% covers it all. ;)

Peace

MG

Expect a GST increase in the first budget to help pay for all his promises

I just hope that by legalizing marijuana they will tax it enough to pay for all the promises he made !

Don't forget folks that by increasing corporate taxes that these businesses have to get the money from somewhere and who ends up paying for that? Its the consumer.

You cannot offer free University tuition, do you know how many students are going to take courses and drop off half way through the first semester. I would say reduce the tuition fees by a lot but not free. Nothing is free !

Yes maybe I'm not a big fan of J T but I can see that is ideas do not hold.

I'm allowed to voice my opinion because I voted.

• Like 1

That's quite a list there. Hope the higher tax on the top 1% covers it all. ;)

There will be higher taxes for some, and some planned deficits too. I'm happy to pay more tax, if I know it will go toward building a better nation and helping those less fortunate than I have been.

In fact, unlike a certain other nation to our south, the Canada I know is built on the very premise of looking out for each other, and not just keeping all we possibly can for ourselves.

• Like 8

Getting our soldiers back from Irak and Syria is sure going to put money back in the chests... And restore our image of a peaceful country.

Now, let's see if it happens...

• Like 3

I just hope that by legalizing marijuana they will tax it enough to pay for all the promises he made !

I agree! Good revenue stream there.

Don't forget folks that by increasing corporate taxes that these businesses have to get the money from somewhere and who ends up paying for that? Its the consumer.

Not necessarily. Where there's healthy competition, a business that just mindlessly marks up its prices to cover any conceivable cost just invites undercutting by a competitor willing to settle for lower profits.

Invisible hand of the market...

You cannot offer free University tuition...

Depends. Let's see how things go in Germany, which has done exactly this. Mind you, university there is a much more focused, rigorous, and comparatively spartan undertaking. Much less flash, fewer amenities, lots of dull classrooms and libraries without the big gymnasiums and student lounges. There are other changes required to the system besides just writing cheques for tuition.

We can eliminate the financial barrier for entering post-secondary schools to make access universal, but keep up a stiff requirement for performance in order for students to continue at the public's expense. Then we as a society reap the rewards of making sure that all of our citizens who are capable of it receive the best education we can provide them.

• Like 2

Guest *Ste***cque**

Wasn't the invisible hand of the market already at work equalizing things? Add an additional cost and, given the invisible hand was already at work, most additional costs will likely will get passed on eventually to consumers. That's the way of business and profits. Still, I'm not against a small raise in the corporate rate. It's BS when they claim it will impede new hires, etc. They're hoarding the money and not putting it into their business anyway, in many cases.

Politicians always promise the moon and the stars until they are the ones deciding what services to cut or voters to tax to pay for everything. Then they quickly get frugal. If Trudeau completes a few of his promises during the next 4 years I'll be impressed.

Let him enjoy his honeymoon. Things are bound to get rocky soon enough.

Wasn't the invisible hand of the market already at work equalizing things?

Under last week's conditions, sure. But change the conditions, and the balance changes too.

I think I've explained why the consumer won't necessarily bear the cost directly, provided there's healthy competition pressuring businesses to do otherwise.

Things are bound to get rocky soon enough.

I agree completely. In particular, the test of the government won't only be on its ability to execute its stated plans; it will be its ability to deal with surprises, and the domestic and world stages are full of them.

• Like 1

Guest *Ste***cque**
Under last week's conditions, sure. But change the conditions, and the balance changes too.

I think I've explained why the consumer won't necessarily bear the cost directly, provided there's healthy competition pressuring businesses to do otherwise.

I agree completely. In particular, the test of the government won't only be on its ability to execute its stated plans; it will be its ability to deal with surprises, and the domestic and world stages are full of them.

Having worked in a business climate all my life, one thing you can count on. Either added costs get passed along to consumers and if that is impossible due to competition then business will cut cost (wages, etc.) to maintain a similar profit level. Very few business owners readily accept reduced profits and they all think the same. Market share at a loss has a short runway and things equalize back to where prices rise to restore profit levels. I'm not an economist(lol) but I've seen this play out so often it can be written in stone practically. Maybe I'll be wrong this time but I wouldn't take a bet on it.

On a funnier note, the Globe today had a cartoon of Trudeau walking a rope over snarling lions while juggling a dozen or so issues. Sometimes a visual really is worth a thousand words! :)

I'm sorry but in my opinion legalizing Marajuana is the least of my concerns...I'm personally not for it maybe because I don't use it and because I don't want my kids to feel it's ok....shrugs shoulders (I'm sure some will not like this but it's how I feel)

• Like 2

I agree it shouldn't be free as that is a recipe for abuse. I hate that students graduate high in debt but its folly to offer free tuition w/o some strict restrictions

Spoken as someone who put himself through 6 years of university and never took a dime from the ON gov't

You cannot offer free University tuition, do you know how many students are going to take courses and drop off half way through the first semester. I would say reduce the tuition fees by a lot but not free. Nothing is free !

Yes maybe I'm not a big fan of J T but I can see that is ideas do not hold.

I'm allowed to voice my opinion because I voted.

• Like 1

I'm sorry but in my opinion legalizing Marajuana is the least of my concerns...I'm personally not for it maybe because I don't use it and because I don't want my kids to feel it's ok....shrugs shoulders (I'm sure some will not like this but it's how I feel)

Smoking is ok by the gov and it's not any better. I'm OK with it being legalized, I don't really smoke it but why should I say for someone else it shouldn't. Doubt they would it legal for under 19, and kids will be kids and do it anyway... It's how you educate your kids that matters I believe.

Just like c36 it won't be a main issue and probably on the back burner where it should be at the moment, more pressing issues.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Having worked in a business climate all my life, one thing you can count on. Either added costs get passed along to consumers and if that is impossible due to competition then business will cut cost (wages, etc.) to maintain a similar profit level.

Right... and note that wages aren't the only costs that can be cut. We'll have to see how things play out, but it's lazy thinking to declare that "all costs are passed onto the consumer".

How many times have you seen a complacent, well-established business that's become used to a certain profit level get displaced by a younger, more aggressive competitor willing to take less profit? (Or that is simply more innovative, adopts new technology, and outperforms the ossified veteran?) 'Cause I've also worked most of my life in the private sector, and I've seen that a lot... provided competition hasn't been somehow suppressed.

The business environment is fluid, and will adapt to conditions while staying within consumer price tolerance -- and not by ignoring its boundaries.

On a funnier note, the Globe today had a cartoon of Trudeau walking a rope over snarling lions while juggling a dozen or so issues. Sometimes a visual really is worth a thousand words! :)

Totally agree. I guarantee that rocky days are ahead for Trudeau and his government. And they have their work cut out for them no matter what, simply delivering on their promises. We'll know in a few months how solid their plan is going forward, but I've heard some pointed and determined talk from the Liberals already that I find promising.

Additional Comments:

I agree it shouldn't be free as that is a recipe for abuse. I hate that students graduate high in debt but its folly to offer free tuition w/o some strict restrictions

You may have missed the part about Germany already having done this.

I agree (and already said as much) that we can't just start writing cheques for everyone's tuition without making other changes to the system. But to outright dismiss the idea strikes me as a bit of a kneejerk, and ignores the reality that it's already being done with success.

Posted, incidentally, as a guy who also put himself through quite a few years of university entirely on his own; nothing from family, nothing from the public. And man, some of those tuition-paying jobs *sucked*. But just because I had to do it, doesn't mean I'm determined to inflict the same experience on every successive generation if there's a smart way to avoid it.

I guess I am just one of very few who could care less about legalizing Marajuana....I'm just not one for it sorry!

And yes kids will be kids and I'm not saying I didn't try it when I was younger I did and had a bad experience with it....I believe I did a pretty good job raising my boys but they have their own mind and will do it regardless how I feel or how I raised them

• Like 1

Guest *Ste***cque**
Right... and note that wages aren't the only costs that can be cut. We'll have to see how things play out, but it's lazy thinking to declare that "all costs are passed onto the consumer".

How many times have you seen a complacent, well-established business that's become used to a certain profit level get displaced by a younger, more aggressive competitor willing to take less profit? (Or that is simply more innovative, adopts new technology, and outperforms the ossified veteran?) 'Cause I've also worked most of my life in the private sector, and I've seen that a lot... provided competition hasn't been somehow suppressed.

The business environment is fluid, and will adapt to conditions while staying within consumer price tolerance -- and not by ignoring its boundaries.

I'll ignore the "lazy thinking" jab and stay on topic. In my post #12 I did point out that "most additional costs will likely get passed on" and I still stand by that. Ignoring profitability is the ultimate form of complacency for a business.

Of course you have to innovate if you want your business to survive but does a Pharmaceutical company say we won't pass on those cost to the consumer? If Apple R & D comes up with a new computer you can be sure those costs get passed on to the consumer in the pricing of the product. PROFIT is what drives a business and everything else (innovation, marketing, etc.) is designed to maximize profit in the long run and gets included in the final cost of a product.

My original point was businesses that are already operating at max efficiency due to competition and the "invisible hand of the market". If you are in a low margin business like a grocery store and the cost of beef goes up you eventually have to raise the price of your steak. Or does Sobeys or Loblaws say "Let's reduce our profit and to hell with shareholders!". Whether your industry has high profit margins(Pharmaceuticals) or your industry has low profit margins(grocery), if you introduce a new additional permanent cost to that industry it will get passed along eventually to the consumer. You may be able to find an exception to that basic rule but that doesn't make it the rule.

If I say Black, what color do you think of MightyPen? :)

In my post #12 I did point out that "most additional costs will likely get passed on" and I still stand by that.
Cool. I think we're agreed, then, that some costs are passed onto the consumer, and some are not. Our only disagreement is about proportions.

If I say Black, what color do you think of MightyPen? :)
Why, the correct one, of course. ;)

Dear Mr. Trudeau (a.k.a. Young Justin!): Please repeal bill C-36 and use an evidence based approach to design a new bill that is sex-worker friendly and helpful. Maybe just repeal bill C-36.

• Like 4

Getting our soldiers back from Irak and Syria is sure going to put money back in the chests... And restore our image of a peaceful country.

Now, let's see if it happens...

Consider the atrocities being committed by ISIS. Mass murder, torture and rape on a huge scale.

One medium size town was taken over, all the gays, or people suspected of being gay, were taken to the highest building in town and thrown off the roof.

ISIS themselves posted a video of it. And closeups of the victims screaming, and the pile of bodies at the bottom of the tower.

Are you just going to look the other way while people are being massacred in the hundreds and thousands?

Guest s******ecan****
Consider the atrocities being committed by ISIS. Mass murder, torture and rape on a huge scale.

One medium size town was taken over, all the gays, or people suspected of being gay, were taken to the highest building in town and thrown off the roof.

ISIS themselves posted a video of it. And closeups of the victims screaming, and the pile of bodies at the bottom of the tower.

Are you just going to look the other way while people are being massacred in the hundreds and thousands?

ISIS is a consequence of the US invasion of Iraq and mishandling of the so called "Arab Spring".

It is undeniable that they are a wicked and evil entity, but I for one don't want Canada to be involved in cleaning up any of the messes the Americans have left in the Middle East.

I also look forward to a much more balanced and traditional attitude towards Israel from the Trudeau government.