An Interview With... Phaedrus - The Censorship of the Sex Industry

"It is a general truth that the further underground you push an industry, the more problems such as exploitation become more ingrained and harder to combat" 

Couldn't agree more with you!! Very well put and thank you so much for your time. 👌

• Like 6

1 hour ago, lydiahardwood said:

A: The core problem here is that the people driving all this aren't remotely interested in helping anybody

That was a great interview Phaedrus,  Thank you for this this.  I think the above quote sums it up for me and it’s a problem in many other areas too.  Somehow the goal of helping gets twisted into judging and condemning.  A complex issue for sure.

Thanks Lydia!

• Like 6

Great interview and a lot more back reading I need to do , this will keep me going for the next week!

Thank you for your insights!

• Like 4

BOOM! @Phaedrus nailed it. Well thought out, considered, informative, challenging and enjoyable interview. Great perspective offered. A huge thanks to @Phaedrus and @lydiahardwood for bringing this to us. It's Phaedrus' last paragraph that shows us a road forward.

• Like 4

Was incredibly thrilled to see Phaedrus' words for the next interview shared!

Thank you for sharing with us ❤

Your avatar is one of the most familiar on this site for me, and I am flattered to have you follow me both here and on Twitter.

This topic I can not be a fan of enough. Super happy that it was chosen to be discussed.

What's happening with communication on the internet right now kind of reminds me of the fight against censorship in music back in the 80s/90s. Controversy has always been something I loved as I feel it pushes us to question ourselves, the way we think and why we feel the need to control others in their expressions. Something I feel I I've been victim of and judged for, well, since the 90's! I am the definition of a loud, wild and liberal personality. The fly by the seat of my pants/DIY personality has definitely helped me learn quite a bit these last few decades. If I had listened to how they wanted me to be, I don't think I would know half of what I do now.

Even to this day I still have those I have chosen to share the side of me with try to throw a construct at me to have me question the choices I make. I do my due diligence and know how to take care of myself. I don't need my friends to remind me of what to worry about and how to protect myself. I just need them to accept me as I am. There are a lot of conservative fearful people out there who try to control. Instead it would be nice if we could just focus on our own selves and fears instead. The focus just shouldn't be on them however as there is a lot of control that happens within the scene well. A good reason why I usually keep to myself. 

A comment that really struck me was when Shape mentioned 

"Somehow the goal of helping gets twisted into judging and condemning".

This reminds me of why I enjoy working as a dom. It's good to test and assess those who claim they want to help as most of the time there is very likely other motive. Those who can genuinely help often continue to do their own thing, until such help is sourced or requested.

I do agree however that there could be more done to separate the kind of work we do from one another.  This thought is interesting and wonder if brainstorming ideas and applying them may help others fear it less? There is some content I may not be interested in creating or providing myself however I don't feel it's fair to judge those who do choose to partake in it. Provided it's consensual and enjoyed. Even us kinksters have limits. Some things I am not interested in seeing at all. Hats off to those who may.

There is just as much work to be done on the other side of the pendulum. Just as much as we are judged for expressing ourselves, we can also tit-for-tat and judge others for being so controlling.

Young people are curious. Sheltering them too much will only pique their need to explore more. It did mine 😼

The quote I enjoyed most in all of Phaedrus' amazing perspective

"Even if you approve of someone you don't like being shut down today, what happens when the censors decide they don't like you tomorrow? You'd be amazed how likely that is, given that most of us hold views about something that are at odds with what's approved of by mainstream society. The only way you can guarantee your safety is if you're the one making the decisions, but there's only room for one at the top".

looking forward to more of your amazing work next month @lydiahardwood 💋

Edited by Kitten
  • Like 6

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

What amazes me about this stuff is how fast things change these days. I wrote that lot the weekend after New Year; since then, we've had the riots in DC and this stuff has really come to the fore. I wish I'd talked more about the power of corporations; in the last week we've seen the Most Powerful Man In The World (supposedly) deplatformed and booted off social media, and we've seen an entire social media platform removed from the web entirely. I can't say I'll miss either Trump or Parler, but it's a vivid illustration of where the true power lies these days. And the likes of Zuckerberg, Dorsey, Pichai and Bezos are accountable to... nobody, as far as I can tell.

And something new on the section 230 stuff: an interesting lawsuit in BC. I have no idea how it will go, but if we end up in a situation where the social media giants are liable in Canada for what people post... either they could end up pulling out of Canada to avoid liability, or inflicting on Canadian courts a painful and humiliating lesson about who's really in charge if they simply decide to ignore what a judge in Vancouver has to say.

• Like 5

Imagine if the mughals did pull out and a Canadian startup launched its own social media platform. Would it be bound to the laws and rules that have been placed in the US? Perhaps it might be time for a startup to assume that type of responsibility within our own Nation? It could open up the opportunity to allow marketing/advertising for not just this type of platform, but cannabis as well to become a little more acceptable or tolerant?

I adore your links on Section 230 and would greatly encourage you to share more!

• Like 3

On 1/17/2021 at 11:55 PM, Kitten said:

Imagine if the mughals did pull out and a Canadian startup launched its own social media platform. Would it be bound to the laws and rules that have been placed in the US? Perhaps it might be time for a startup to assume that type of responsibility within our own Nation? It could open up the opportunity to allow marketing/advertising for not just this type of platform, but cannabis as well to become a little more acceptable or tolerant?

I adore your links on Section 230 and would greatly encourage you to share more!

The problem is that moderation becomes impossible at the scale of the big social media platforms. Automated systems don't work that well and getting humans to do it costs far too much money. Maybe if it were a paid service... but who's going to pay for these things now that we're all accustomed to having them for free (or at least, for a non-obvious price)?

I'm glad someone likes the section 230 stuff... it's important, but rather dry for most folks' taste!

• Like 4

I am a fan of dry as they can lead to opportunity and safety 💋

The automated systems very well could become better with time, but that also very much depends on who is responsible for their tweaking. It is however very hard to compete with free. No matter what kind of SCR grips the wheel. I am a bit of a dreamer still 😉

• Like 4