You're old when you read George Orwell's book "1984" in high school and it was set in the future.

My grade 11 class read 1984 when it was the present, in 1984.

...when you now shop at the same grocery store you worked at as a teenager in the late 80's and most of the current staff hadn't been born yet (that point actually came up in conversation with a cashier recently and kindly pointed out that fact).

The driver's Ed car was a dodge K car (and part of your "in car" training was driving to the instructor's house to pick up his empties and drive to the beer store so he could cash them in)

Going to the Drive In (let alone watching the original Superman movies and Caddyshack all in their original releases)

And the topper... The goth/punk girl who had the locker beside you in high school is now a gray haired soccer mom (confirmed at a recent high school reunion)

Posted via Mobile Device

Guest f***2f***

When you're standing on a crowded bus thinking how hot the chick is who's seated near you and she stands and says sweetly "I'm sorry sir would you like to take the seat?"

(young whipper snapper!! lol)

My grade 11 class read 1984 when it was the present, in 1984.

Was thinking the same thing - and then went to see the movie so we had another reference point.

Was thinking the same thing - and then went to see the movie so we had another reference point.

Well I read 1984 in mid to late 70's, but not untill we read Animal Farm first

But speaking of 1984, remember when the tv show Space 1999 was a show set in the future

RG

Well I read 1984 in mid to late 70's, but not untill we read Animal Farm first

But speaking of 1984, remember when the tv show Space 1999 was a show set in the future

RG

Funny how those "futuristic" 1999 hair cuts resemble 1970's styles...

space1999.jpeg

Funny how those "futuristic" 1999 hair cuts resemble 1970's styles...

space1999.jpeg

And in the future, green woman are hot...well for Capt Kirk at least

page2_s_slavegirl_600.jpg

And in the future, green woman are hot...well for Capt Kirk at least

page2_s_slavegirl_600.jpg

They are hot in the present too!

58525121797851599.jpg

You know your old when...

1. It took you this to store 800 songs:

milk_crate_full_of_records_50_nottingham_15703789.jpg

2. ... this was the way to show you cared:

mixed-tape-017.jpg?w=400&h=300

3. ... you stored your records next to a source of heat, the result was invariably something like this:

bobdylan_coaster2.jpg

Holy crap!! I had no idea I was going to start such a long thread with a single idle thought passing through my head.

As you sit there reading this over the Internet using a computing device that is running miriad programs and rendering what you are seeing on the screen using some bastard offspring of HTML code, consider this.

The first computer program I wrote ran on Hollerith cards (aka punch cards) and it ran on a huge machine that filled an entire room.

My watch has more computing power than that computer did.

You know you are old when you remember MS DOS. For some reason on the rare ocassions that I drink, I start talking about ancient computer programs until one time my sister told me to STFU.lol. I remember MS DOS!

Guest S**a*Q
Holy crap!! I had no idea I was going to start such a long thread with a single idle thought passing through my head.

As you sit there reading this over the Internet using a computing device that is running miriad programs and rendering what you are seeing on the screen using some bastard offspring of HTML code, consider this.

The first computer program I wrote ran on Hollerith cards (aka punch cards) and it ran on a huge machine that filled an entire room.

My watch has more computing power than that computer did.

Your a little more behind than I am, but I was close. Our first family computer had the computer programs on cassette tapes. :)

Then the 5" floppies came out, but you had to search through files to find the games you wanted, not just double clicking.

Forget MS DOS... we loaded directories with commands like:

LOAD "Mousetrap",8,1

Your a little more behind than I am, but I was close. Our first family computer had the computer programs on cassette tapes. :)

Then the 5" floppies came out, but you had to search through files to find the games you wanted, not just double clicking.

Forget MS DOS... we loaded directories with commands like:

LOAD "Mousetrap",8,1

I remember in university computer science was a major, teaching things like

e05cb_Programming_51765YTE5TL.jpg

and

19April_1.jpg

and in my statistics course the computer part of the course was typing on a keyboard that inputed into a mainframe, and the answers came off a printer, there was no screen.

And you only got so much computer time, after that you had to pay to use the mainframe

As for the cassette tapes Sara, did the computer look something like this

trs80-i.jpg

I have a flashback to those my last year in high school

RG

As for the cassette tapes Sara, did the computer look something like this

trs80-i.jpg

That was my first computer in 1977!

It had 4K of ram.

Not 4 Gig (4,294,967,296 bytes), or 4 Meg (4,194,304 bytes)

but a mear 4 Kilobytes (4,096 bytes).

Edited by qwertyaccount

you know you're old when you start dating woman younger than your kids!! heehee!!

My kids now demand biographical data and have reserved the right of veto. They say that anything within 5 years of their age is creepy.

Guest f***2f***
My kids now demand biographical data and have reserved the right of veto. They say that anything within 5 years of their age is creepy.

My kids say any woman I date must be older than half my age plus ten, then they won't be creeped out....but you know you're old when your kids are making these kinds of unreasonable demands!! :icon_sad: