anyone has insomnia

As someone whose brain NEVER shuts off, I tried just about everything and finally my doctor prescribed Seroquel--it is NOT a sleeping pill. It is generally prescribed in much much larger doses to people with schizophrenia, as it is an anti-psychotic, but in small does, it has the off-label use of being a mild sedative.

50mg and I sleep like a baby. I don't feel groggy or overtired the next day either.

And just as a note, while exercise during the day can help you feel sleepier at night, if you exercise within an hour of going to bed, you won't sleep because your body is all revved up from the exercise.

I swear to God! My friends worked at one for sleep apnea and I was gonna go and be tested but when I found out about the thermometer up the ass I never went! Maybe it's different now.....

First thing they do at the sleep clinic is make you stay the night, with a thermometer up your ass. I've never been but I'm just saying.....

I swear to God! My friends worked at one for sleep apnea and I was gonna go and be tested but when I found out about the thermometer up the ass I never went! Maybe it's different now.....

Been there, done that, not too long ago, and NO thermometer or anything else anywhere near my ass.

I have the good fortune of having developed anxiety attacks, which generally find me at night. It's not often, or at least I haven't had one in several months, but that crap will keep me up pretty much until the sun rises.

I also have periodic episodes of just straight insomnia. I feel tired, but I just can't fall asleep. That too will lead to me still being awake at sunup.

They say changing rooms for a while and doing something else, like listening to music, helps. Usually just lying in bed creates tension because of the frustration of not being able to fall asleep, and that keeps you up longer.

I uses to sleep like a baby every night when there was someone in bed beside me. Maybe I've just become wuss-ified.

I'm a chronic insomniac. I've found it helps to have a very rigid routine before going to bed. I start with a shower. Then I read for a little while and drink something herbal and soothing. If I can't get to sleep, or if I do but wake up and then can't get back to sleep, after 20 minutes of wakefulness, I get up and get out of bed. I make another cup of tea. I read. When I start to feel sleepy again, I go back to bed. Repeat. It usually works.

Oh, and sometimes instead of tea, I'll drink Ovaltine in warm milk. Milk has trytophan, an amino acid that helps us sleep.

I'll admit that some nights, nothing works. I know that I have to have four complete hours of sleep or I won't function well the next day. Some nights it's just better to give up and stay up. I'll sleep the next night, for sure!

• Like 1

The prescription drug Imovane/Zopiclone has relatively few side-effects and shouldn't leave you excessively drowsy in the morning. It was prescribed for me when I was in a rather busy acute-care ward in the hospital. It is for only short term or occasional sleep problems, but it can be very useful in those situations. Talk to your doctor...you will need a prescription even though it is not a narcotic.

Just watch that movie "The English Patient" and you'll sleep like a baby.

Looks to me like it just gets you upset and angry

Again, a Seinfeld episode for just about everything

RG

Sleep patterns change with age - what doesn't!! Assuming you're generally healthy (coz there's a huge list of nasty conditions which can stop you sleeping), what worked for me was:

stop caffeine after midday - and having been used to 12 cups a day that was hard!

No drinks within an hour of bed time;

steer clear of alcohol. It just makes you sleep, but when it's metabolized you wake and then stare at the walls!

I find working out late in the evening makes things worse not better.

I would be REALLY careful with some of the meds suggested above.

CB

Looks to me like it just gets you upset and angry

Again, a Seinfeld episode for just about everything

RG

Ha! I never ended up watching the entire movie. I was out like a light within 10 minutes! LOL.

Seinfeld...meh... was never a fan of that show but I do recall the episode you referred to above. Poor Elaine!

Tart cherry juice (montmorency cherry) is a natural source of melatonin.

Goat milk is a good source of tryptophan (the amino acid in turkey which is responsible for making you sleepy after eating it). Goat milk is great for many ailments. Cow milk is inflammatory; goat milk is anti-inflammatory. For some people, the change in health once they start drinking goat milk is nothing short of incredible!

I find a bottle of white wine, then a half liter of goat milk, before going to bed sends me off into a deep, dream-filled REM sleep. And yes, I can do that every night!

Passionflower may help too; as an added benefit (unless you have prostate issues), it elevates testosterone levels in the body.

Yes passionflower could help, but also Camomile, valerian, hops, kava or lemon balm in capsule or tea infusion. You can also look for a complete formula in capsule or tea mixed with many different herbs in that purpose at the health store. It is not recommended to take some of these herbs if you have liver, prostate issue or are taking drugs that affect the liver or prostate. Some men drink beer or alcool before they go to bed. It is said to be helpful. It's not recommended to combine herbs and alcool together.

• Like 3

I take Melatonin because I do weird shift work. Its really helped with going to sleep and going back to sleep when I get up in the night.

Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, this really works. My ex gf was in the same situation and it helped her, too.

• Like 1

If this constitutes a hijack, I rely on the experts to tell me, but how useful is this stuff when crossing time zones?

I've crossed three in two days with meetings each day and by day 2 I feel like poop

Any experience/comments?

CB - currently located in Mountain Time!

I have tried this and it hasn't work for me. Sometimes taking a calcium and magnisum pill helps. Sometimes going down and having something to eat helps, but by this time it is usually 2 or 3 in the morning and I have to get up for work at 6.30. I seem to do okay on 4 hrs of sleep. Sometimes it better off not to get only or 2 hrs of sleep and just spend the whole night awake.

• Like 1

Ever feel so tired that you can't sleep? I found myself in the predicament tonight so I took one Nytol. Good thing I'm going to bed in the next few minutes. Taking 2 nytols is horrible and I have things to do tomorrow.lol. Sweet dreams!

Hi I have been in a plaster cast for the last two weeks and have been taking sleeping pills to sleep for the last 14 days. I prefer not to, but I have troubles sleepiing before I tore my achilles heel. With the cast, it is uncomfortable to sleep with and keeps me up with the pain. Even with the sleeping pills. I usually only sleep 5 to 6 hrs, but at least it is continuous. I wake up feeling refresh, but don't remember dreaming anything. Is this normal. If I take the pills everyday for a while will this cause me a problem when \i stop. I just got a aircast which is lighter but bigger and it makes my feet sweaty so I do not know how well I will sleep with this yet.

Thanks for all the previous advice and any future advice in advance.

I can see that their are many night owls like myself out there.

I am about 5-6 hour per night sleeper, so I don't really have trouble getting to sleep, but would love to get more sleep. That said, other than an occasional tired day, my body seems to function reasonably well with that little sleep.

Guest ****ven

I've been suffering from insomnia for 5-6 years on and off.

My natural Health Practioner recommended that I take melatonin as well as

valerian root!

Seems to have worked pretty well for me!

I use Lavender Oil (aroma therapy) a few drops on my pillow usually does the trick. I get this at the Bulk Barn.

I also use a device that produces white noise to drown out noise from the neighbours. I got this many years ago and have not seen them in stores since then.

I also like to use Sleepy Time Tea. This is available at most grocery stores.

Cheers,

Jafo

• Like 1