anyone has insomnia

I have something that I take when I have trouble sleeping: it is called ''Deep Sleep'' by A. Vogel, a tincture made of plants. It is sold in all pharmacies in the natural products section. I have tried many things, and this is the only product that works on me, without side effects. One negative stuff though: this is the stinkiest and most (repulsive taste) liquid that I have ever had to smell and absorb. But hey, when you want to sleep... it is worth it!

(Oddly enough censorship was in action in this post so I had to change words...)

I know what you mean about censorship... i think it took me 15 attempts to get my earlier reply accepted... While I accept the changes the board is making if it becomes that hard to post a non sex related post it will hurt this board as people will just not bother.

Just my Opinion

• Like 2

Lifting weights knocks me out.

I usually sleep five or six hours nightly and work out when I wake up. Sometimes I work out in the evening before bed. Last night I did shoulders and abs while listening to randy Bachman's show, took protein and sups, then lay down. Slept like a log for nine and a half hours!

Feel great this morning.

• Like 1

I used to have a lot of trouble sleeping and now I know why! I used to take 2 mg melatonin and it is measured in millograms by manufacturers.. Natural melatonin in the body is measured in picograms! So anyone out there that is taking this, you are overdosing on it in xxxxx suggested millograms by who knows how much! There are some melatonin pills out there measured in 5 mgs.

I was literally in a fog the next day and exhausted so much that 8 hours of sleep a night wasn't enough. It also made me toss and turn along with un rested sleep. Ever since I stopped taking it, my body has adjusted and I can wake up after 8 hours without the full on fatigue. At one point, I thought I was experiencing chronic fatigue syndrome or something similar.

• Like 2

Guest Na****a***mers (RETIRED)

Good exercise

Full body meditation/relaxation

Cut out all caffeine

On the topic of melatonin, and of course insomnia. I read somewhere that if you spend a week without any electronics/television, your body will balance out your melatonin levels and will get back to it's natural cycle - falling asleep with sunset and waking up with sunrise.

The ole circadian rhythm as Natasha Summers pointed out.... it's surprisingly easy to throw out of whack and can take a few days or more to get it set right again. I always tell friends who are going through a phase where sleep is not coming easily to them that they should turn off their computer/tv/videogames/smartphone at least two hours before bed and read or knit or whatever your hobby is. The light cast by electronics is considered to be blue light which has a much stronger effect than the orange/yellow light of indoor lighting. Indoor lighting can still throw you out of whack, but start with curbing your electronics and see if that makes a difference. If not, then start lessening your indoor lighting (use a small lamp instead of the ceiling light, for example).

Of course sometimes insomnia is caused by stress or non-melatonin imbalances in the body. Our body is a resilient and marvelous machine, but it can go wonky from time to time.

If after a week of diligently ditching your lightsources for two hours before bed doesn't help, by all means explore other options such as stress management and hormone therapy (melatonin).

Bearing in mind that insomnia is not the same as simply needing less sleep. The old adage about 8 hours a night is not true for everyone and some people genuinely require less sleep as they age (no offense, anyone). It's also natural for the body to reset it's sleep/wake cycles several times a year - which is why some of you may notice that you go through periods of a week or longer where for no reason at all you feel like staying up later or going to bed earlier. This is because before the industrial revolution and indoor lighting, we adjusted to the change in daylight hours. Our bodies still try to do that from time to time.

Of course, that is not the same as insomnia and I'm certain you all know your bodies well enough to know what's what. Hang in there and don't give up: you'll find something that works to get you a good night's sleep.

• Like 4

Sleep,, the five letter word! Lol not sure what it is anymore, I find when I'm particularly stressed, I just can't sleep, my Dr recommended gravol, 2 a night, so a few days ago, I tried them, and they do put me to sleep, but until around noon, I am still groggy, so I am off to the old fashion method , counting sheep! :)

• Like 1

Not wanting to advocate anything of questionable legality but for me, a little puff of something-something does wonders for my sleeping. I don't necessarily sleep MORE but I certainly sleep better and feel more rested. Plus, I'm bright eyed and bushy tailed the next day with no residual effects.

• Like 2

I use to have sleeping issues, but I developped a very healthy routine before going to bed, and it works! I was on sleeping pills for sleep walking (creepy, I know) and sleeping issues, but this is how it goes...

I always go to bed at the same hour. 9:30 for me, could be later for you...

Light snack around 8:30 (Berries and fresh cream, or cream cheese bagel with a glass of milk, usually)

At 9:00, I shut down EVERYTHING in the house. Absolutly NO INTERNET ACCESS from this point. No TV either, or playing on my phone.

No alcool either. It contains a LOT of sugar that could prevent me from sleeping.

I keep a little night stand light with a 40watts bulb to read a little it. Just for 15-20 minutes.

If I wake up during the night, I stay up for about 10-15 minutes before going back (or I take this occasion to have some lazy fun...).

When I go in my bed room, whatever the time of the day or the night, I leave my problems at the door. My room is a calm and peaceful place. A refuge. I don't want any negative energies where I sleep. Problems will still there when I wake up, and I will be able to solve them in the morning, with a fresh and peaceful mind, ready to attack my day.

I wake up at 4:00 in the morning, fresh and ready to start my day.

• Like 5

Typically I fight to stay awake, I can sleep any time any where.

But last night I could not sleep at all! It happens every time when I go away from home. The first night is sleepless. Then when I did sleep, of course got a nightmare dream...sigh...

Now it is 7am, and have a full day of work on about 2 hours of stressful sleep. Ohhh this will require lots of eye makeup lol.

• Like 3

I have been treated for insomnia for about 20 years now. Mine in primarily caused by anxiety. I tend to replay social interactions over and over in my head. My body is tired, eyes heavy, but my brain is wired.

Lots of good suggestions on this board. I have little to add other than my experience with prescribed medications (can discuss via PM)

Having tried the gauntlet, I have found that the ones that put me out are the ones that are most harmful. I get 8-9 hours of uninterrupted sleep but spend half the day trying to wake up.

The most beneficial have been the ones that slow down my racing mind. They do not induce sleep. With these meds, I have been able to get 6 hours of sleep a night and feel well rested come morning.

Discretion should be used when inquiring about such medications. I have a great family doctor and I have a great psychiatrist. I would not ask my FD for help with sleep just as I would not ask my psychiatrist to treat my cold.

~SS

Great post SprialStaircase but sometimes even when you know the cause or the why as you refer to it the what to do can still remain difficult or unacceptable

Just my

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

Great post SprialStaircase but sometimes even when you know the cause or the why as you refer to it the what to do can still remain difficult or unacceptable

Just my

Not to hijack anything but seeing or hearing the words "spiral staircase" makes me start counting the steps to go into a hypnotic trance. lol. Carry on!

• Like 1

Now if only that hypnotic trance could get me to fall asleep lol

Now if only that hypnotic trance could get me to fall asleep lol

You should try it. In less than 5 minutes you will be asleep!

Don't know how? What do you do?

Here is a link.. this guy puts me to sleep many nights during the week. I listen it to it on my iphone under my pillow. I love his voice and his Irish accent. It's so soothing. lol

Make sure your room is completely dark. Anything with light causes a distraction to stay awake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WiHL5Ycpm0

• Like 1

Darn. As you see I am still up. and can't sleep.

Not tired. and have been trying all sort of natural sleep products.

some times they work, but I still get up in the middle of the night.

Maybe I shouldn't be in front of the computer trying to kill time and try

to sleep again lol.

any new suggestions?

I have sleep insomnia too. I've have it for a long time and it sucks. Its very frustrating because there are nightS I can't fall asleep until 4am and need to be up by 5:30 smh. Often I don't feel rested and I have yet to find something that works :s good luck...

Sometimes I get insomnia... I find I have to be in a dark room, even with a sleeping mask!! To be able to fall asleep.... No light whatsoever. I also find if I can stop thinking (my main cause of staying awake), that I can just put on Netflix, something light like Friends or That 70s Show... helps me take my mind off things and just relax. I usually fall asleep during the first episode! LOL

If I put on something else more stimulating (funny comedies or very dramatic shows), or anything that demands my attention (action flicks, etc) that I will end up becoming even more awake than I was. Needs to be a slow paced sitcom!

Hope your insomnia lightens up!!

• Like 2