What was the strangest thing you have ever eaten?

We've all had a strange meal or have eaten something of dubious origins. But what was the strangest, oddest or most disgusting morsel to pass your lips?

I've eaten rattle snake, wild boar and yes I've even sampled goat brains. But I'll wager some one out there has been even more daring than I.

So lets hear it. I promise not to judge. :chug:

I was reading the newspaper one day while eating some sole, and I guess a slug that had crawled onto the newspaper when it was outside my door on the ground managed to find his way from there onto my plate and blended in with what I was eating.

I probably should have just swallowed it rather than try and spit it out.

I could not get the taste out of my parched mouth for hours. I guess they have some kind of slimy coating to ward of predators.

• Like 2

Guest *Ste***cque**

Someone placed their dog dish next to a cheese plate. I ate a small handful of kibble, thinking they were exotic nuts.

when i travelled, i tried to immerse myself with my host's culture

after

'a few" sentry scotches, maybe even a bottle of saki thrown in.....

the business partners took me to their favourite restaurant, and since my language skills were limited i let them order!

when i met the cdn embassy guy that was assigned to assist me in negotiations and told him where and what we ate, he went nuts

found out later that if not cooked correctly, it will kill you!!!

oh well, survived it, my hosts were impressed how brave (read stupid) i was, but still remain friends today

• Like 1

I've eaten rattle snake, wild boar and yes I've even sampled goat brains. But I'll wager some one out there has been even more daring than I.

Apparently we have had similar experiences. Before I opened this thread, exactly what you wrote went through my mind.

Rattlesnake at Big Daddy's

Calf brains at a place that specialized in Catalan cuisine

Wild boar with a raspberry coulis, one of my more memorable dinners I have served.

Other times, bbq emu and kangaroo.

Calamari - I had them in a Greek restaurant in Germany. They were an appetizer served with a shot of sambuka. The thing was, I'd never eaten it before, and it was served as breaded rings. Of course, me being completely clueless, I thought they were onion rings! I couldn't figure out why they were so rubbery until someone told me what it was! --lol--

I've had a wide variety of game ... so most of that isn't too out there. I've also had the opportunity to try rattlesnake, gator, ostrich, emu. I've also had (and really enjoyed) cod tongues.

Seal flipper, though, is fairly revolting.

Porthos

Calamari in Italy, venison in Montreal, moose in Ottawa, pig brain, turtle eggs -- they are nothing comparing to something I once ate many years ago in an Indian restaurant in Asia -- goat testicles!!

I've had rattle snake in both Texas and Arizona, actually wasn't all that bad. Eaten a number of different bugs around the world...the joys of being hungry on survival training!!!

It is always interesting how our food changes and evolves over time. Many years ago I was on a hitch hiking trip to Nfld with a boyfriend and they were having a steer roasted on a spit outside.

I was horrified to find they were serving the meat very rare. As a polite person I ate what was given to me but was CERTAIN I would be dead in the morning.

Now I have to be firm to make sure my meat is not cooked to much past rare.

What will we think is weird and strange in another 20 years, I wonder?

It is always interesting how our food changes and evolves over time. Many years ago I was on a hitch hiking trip to Nfld with a boyfriend and they were having a steer roasted on a spit outside.

I was horrified to find they were serving the meat very rare. As a polite person I ate what was given to me but was CERTAIN I would be dead in the morning.

Now I have to be firm to make sure my meat is not cooked to much past rare.

What will we think is weird and strange in another 20 years, I wonder?

So true ... I grew up in a family where all meat was well-done, and i mean cooked to well-done, and then left a bit longer to be on the safe side. First time someone served me roast beef cooked very rare, I wasn't sure I could eat it. The first bite, though, was amazing, and made me realize how meat should be cooked.

Porthos

Chocolate coated crickets.

In the same vein as crickets, I once had an unintended culinary experience with little critters. It was a rare special occasion when I made pancakes for my wife and me. They cooked up fine and were served hot covered in melted butter and real maple syrup. I had just about finished my stack when my wife asked me what I put into the batter to give the pancakes a little crispy texture. On closer inspection there appeared to be seeds in the pancakes. It turned out that we had just eaten about half a colony of flour beetles that had infested the Aunt Jemima mix.

We were grossed out. :icon_eek:

Pancakes are off my list. :oops:

and finding the other half floating in your cola after taking a swig from a freshly poured drink from a bottle in the cold storage!

whale, seal,cariboo, black bear, squirrel and beaver (both kinds lol) all on one trip to nunuvut - plus too too many others to mention