http://www.withoutwax.tv/2012/02/21/what-does-being-sarcastic-say-about-you/

Sometimes we may read things here with an undertone that hints at sarcasm, and quite possibly it is intended as such. I found this interesting read that may help those who feel the need to use it, as it explains why and what sarcasm says about those who need to use it.

• Like 2

That is an interesting take on sarcasm. I think sometimes it can be pretty harmless banter but it definitely is used a lot by insecure people on the internet. Sincerity seems to be a somewhat lost art, kinda like common sense and following the "golden rule". Sarcasm and putting down others to make us feel better about ourselves seems to be getting more common by the day.

PS. Thank goodness for sites like this one that maintain a more positive, enlightened approach to message boards.

Guest **sh****he***ac***th

More often than not as we are not there in person it is difficult to get a good read on the intent of some statements and it can depend upon what sort of mood the reader is in. I try to be very open, direct and sincere in what I write for that very reason to insure misinterpretation doesn't occur. Yet there are times when harmless banter between or amongst friends is just that harmless banter.

I believe that people that have a great repore with each other, introduce sarcasm as a further advancement of those relationships, often it is when people are comfortable with each other.

I would say sarcasm into an unknown circumstance, more like introduces the fine line between good nature bantering, and maybe a bit more truthful messaging.

Anyway, I think sarcasm can be a great tool, but understand how it can be misused too.

• Like 2

I kinda think Sarcasm like most things can be used appropriately and not so appropriately.... i have been told by some people that I can be sarcastic especially when dealing with people or issues that I have significant issues with... it is something I know about myself and try to "manage"

That said I think sometimes the quickest and easiest way to show people how you feel is with a biting sarcastic comment..... may not be right but it works.

Just to be clear... i don't think I am sarcastic here very often... lolol

Just my opinion

And now for a comedic interlude. :) :) :)

Check out how Agnes Brown (Mrs. Brown's Boys) deals with her snooty daughter-in-law's mother.:)

• Like 5

Guest Be***iful****lah

To add to the comedy relief, I generally take things literally. My close friends and family who are more on the sarcastic side either love it or hate it; love it because I am so much damn fun to tease. Hate it because sometimes, though they did not intend to hurt my feelings...well...they did.

Ya, I can be sensitive from time to time. But then again, a person has to know me EXTREMELY well to have the ability to use sarcasm in a way that can hurt my feelings.

Sarcasm coming from someone I barely know will always, always elicit either laughter, sheer confusion, or a playful smack accompanied by my childish ''sticking out of the tongue''.

Not sure what the equivalent to that would be in emoticons....;)

Sarcasm coming from someone I barely know will always, always elicit either laughter, sheer confusion, or a playful smack accompanied by my childish ''sticking out of the tongue''.

Ok..... you have my interest with your tongue out.....what next ;)

However I'm sure the author has some sort of training or education or evidence in order to have such an article printed

Okay, I'll admit it: you've got me. I have no idea whether this is sarcastic or not.

• Like 4

Okay, I'll admit it: you've got me. I have no idea whether this is sarcastic or not.

Okay, and I'll admit it too: you got me - I have no idea whether this is sarcastic or not. I'll also admit I like your audience;)

Complex? Many facets? The meaning of sarcasm is quite simple. It is praise masked as an insult. It generally involves malice and the desire to put someone down...

I suppose if someone is being sarcastic with a soft tone, smile on their face and is in a close relationship with the person they are putting down then it could be taken differently...

Glad to see you were able to see a distinction between the two.

But I still have to disagree with you that sarcasm is ONLY meant to "put down" others.

I will give you two concrete examples (should have done that in my original post. It might have helped provide a clearer understanding):

1. My sister and I have a very close relationship. She is more than a sister to me. She is also a best friend.

One day, we were cooking at her house and she asked me to take out the milk from the fridge. I grab the milk and, what do you know, the container slipped through my fingers and it spilled all over the floor.

Instead of getting mad and annoyed, she used sarcasm to make a joke. She said: "Nice job! I couldn't have done a better job myself!". She gave me a wink and started laughing. Instead of me getting upset and hurt (seems to be the appropriate reaction to sarcasm, according to you), believe it or not, I laughed with her.

We finally cleaned up, finished cooking and shared a great meal together and that was the end of it. My feelings weren't hurt and there was absolutely NO ill intentions with her words. It was all in good fun.

2. An example related to this industry...

A genleman and I were in bed talking and enjoying a glass of nice champagne. I asked him if he would like me to refill his glass. He says "yes, of course" so I grabbed the bottle sitting in the ice bucket from the night stand. I filled up his glass half way and then did mine. While filling up mine, by accident, the gentleman "hit" my arm and champagne spilled on me. It's at that point he decided to use a sarcastic comment:

"Ahhhhh, Gabby, you are so clumsy. What am I going to do with you. I guess I'm going to have to help you fix this mess and lick it off your body".

My gentleman had a huge smile and grin on his face and started laughing.

Again, was I supposed to get upset at his comment and take it in a way that was the opposite of his intention because his used sarcasm???

I have a great sense of humor. I don't take myself too seriously neither do I take others too seriously all the time.

I think taking the blinders off, being able to see multiple sides of something, keeping an open-minded about possibilities, etc. is a choice and way of life. It might be more difficult at times but, in the end, well worth it, at least for me.

Life is not always so black or white; it holds many shades of greys in between.

• Like 4

But I still have to disagree with you that sarcasm is ONLY meant to "put down" others.

I have a great sense of humor. I don't take myself too seriously neither do I take others too seriously all the time.

I think taking the blinders off, being able to see multiple sides of something, keeping an open-minded about possibilities, etc. is a choice and way of life. It might be more difficult at times but, in the end, well worth it, at least for me.

The spilled milk story reminded me of me letting the milk jug slip out of my hand one time and pretty much drenching the whole kitchen floor. My roommate at the time says "hey you missed a spot over there". We both laughed. I guess the expression "no use crying over spilled milk" makes sense. No use getting upset or angry about it and if there is an opportunity to make a joke, I'm there with bells on.

Also, it's not so much what the person says, it's how they say it, and most importantly how WE choose to take it. I like to roll with the punches whenever possible. Life is too short to get hung up on trying to find hidden meanings in things or automatically assuming another person has an agenda.

• Like 4

I had a delicious dinner tonight at Turtle Jacks Mississauga. I ate every morsel.

When the server came to clear my plate she asked how my meal was and I responded ... "ya that was awful!"

She could see I pretty much licked my plate. I'm pretty sure I didn't offend her :D And I'm 100% sure my comment had nothing to do with my self esteem.. or trying to make myself feel better :)

I'm harmlessly sarcastic all the time! People better not start taking me seriously or I'm in big trouble lmfao ....

• Like 7

Also, it's not so much what the person says, it's how they say it, and most importantly how WE choose to take it. I like to roll with the punches whenever possible. Life is too short to get hung up on trying to find hidden meanings in things or automatically assuming another person has an agenda.

Well said and I agree completely! I use thoughtful sarcasm as a humorous tool all the time and have only rarely had it miss interpreted.

• Like 1

It is quite interesting to follow these threads that open up genuine fun discussions. I thought it was time to throw in my nickles worth here.

I have to agree with the original post in this thread and christycurves take on the article and the subject. Sarcasm is meant to be demeaning and belittling, but thinly veiled as humor....the first thing that pops into my head when I hear or read someone being sarcastic is....you sarcastic SOB.

I think there is often confusion between the various forms of "wit", the examples that Gabriella Laurence and Miss Jessica Lee use are more along the lines of being facetious, and are meant to be humorous and playful.

Just an opinion.:icon_wink:

• Like 1

Sarcasm, when best practiced, is an art form.

There is nothing more amusing than seeing words turned ever so subtly into a humorous dig, especially when the words are meant not to harm, but to lighten the tension in a heated debate.

The problem? When written, it takes a concerted effort to discern whether the words were meant in a hurtful sense or as probably intended, in a light hearted manner.

As Gabriella has so eloquently put it, the use of smilies, emoticons or a well place LOL or hehehehehe enables the reader to take the written word not at face value, but as they were originally intended, as a bit of fun.

This of course works with all sexes, races, and religions except for people of Saskatchewan and nationals of Latvia, Zimbabwe and Bosnia Hercegovina. Those fuckers have no sense of humour. ;)

• Like 4

Sarcasm, when best practiced, is an art form.

There is nothing more amusing than seeing words turned ever so subtly into a humorous dig, especially when the words are meant not to harm, but to lighten the tension in a heated debate.

The problem? When written, it takes a concerted effort to discern whether the words were meant in a hurtful sense or as probably intended, in a light hearted manner.

As Gabriella has so eloquently put it, the use of smilies, emoticons or a well place LOL or hehehehehe enables the reader to take the written word not at face value, but as they were originally intended, as a bit of fun.

This of course works with all sexes, races, and religions except for people of Saskatchewan and nationals of Latvia, Zimbabwe and Bosnia Hercegovina. Those fuckers have no sense of humour. ;)

Saskatchewan. Yes those fuckers have no sense of humor. We are currently trying to build a wall between us on top of the existing prairie blowsand border ridge. We've been drinking Bud Light like banshee's to build the wall out of beer cans and maybe some twisted tea cans cause it is summer. Thought it might be fun. Even having some drinking boat races. One fella passes out then. ...... "NEXT !!!"

Anyhoooooo

Those fuckers in Saskatchewan shut down their farming operations and oil-wells, pulled their stills out of the backwoods and now we have the Berlin wall on their side built out of kegs of hooch and Pilsner bottles from when they were brewing.

I sarcastic you not !!! ;)

• Like 2

the use of smilies, emoticons or a well place LOL or hehehehehe enables the reader to take the written word not at face value, but as they were originally intended, as a bit of fun.

just a note ... it might just be me (it often is lol) but I find the excessive use of smilies to be very sarcastic, especially if the comment preceding the smilie is up for interpretation.

A smilie in the wrong place can totally change the meaning of your post. A smilie doesn't always mean your smiling.

:D

• Like 8

2. An example related to this industry...

A genleman and I were in bed talking and enjoying a glass of nice champagne. I asked him if he would like me to refill his glass. He says "yes, of course" so I grabbed the bottle sitting in the ice bucket from the night stand. I filled up his glass half way and then did mine. While filling up mine, by accident, the gentleman "hit" my arm and champagne spilled on me. It's at that point he decided to use a sarcastic comment:

"Ahhhhh, Gabby, you are so clumsy. What am I going to do with you. I guess I'm going to have to help you fix this mess and lick it off your body".

My gentleman had a huge smile and grin on his face and started laughing.

Again, was I supposed to get upset at his comment and take it in a way that was the opposite of his intention because his used sarcasm???

I'm aghast!!!!....my beautiful virtual wife in bed with another man. And drinking Champagne with him to boot...all I got was a bottle of water on our virtual honeymoon (mind you I don't drink)......I think I'm jealous (OK no I'm not, just joking here)

Is that an example of sarcasm, tongue definitely in cheek, and in the spirit of fun ;-)

BTW Gabriella and I are just virtual (not real) husband and wife

A "in fun" sarcastic rambling

RG :-)

• Like 1

just a note ... it might just be me (it often is lol) but I find the excessive use of smilies to be very sarcastic, especially if the comment preceding the smilie is up for interpretation.

A smilie in the wrong place can totally change the meaning of your post. A smilie doesn't always mean your smiling.

:D

Hmmmmm.... a smiley conspiracy. Those emoji bastards. Just when you thought it was safe to trust them, they screw you.

evilsmileyface.jpg

• Like 2

Guest **cely***r***ne

Sometimes I think people think to much.

It is really obvious..especially if you smiled or had a little chuckle to yourself as I did reading the examples given of sarcasm, that maybe the definition has changed? Nowhere did I get the sense of insult. But I guess one would have to see the brighter side of things or have a good positive outlook on silly little things that happen to us. aka sense of humor.

Maybe in modern day society, sarcasm IS in fact a way to make the other person feel BETTER about what had just happened to them? Theres a LOT more to our language than what is just written in websters or freedictionary.com...

As for emoticons... excessive use IS irritating to get the emotions across to the person you're talking to...but, that is why we have punctuation! <- exclamation mark...means I am happy or smiling about what I have said...

( :) )

Sometimes I think people think to much.

It is really obvious..especially if you smiled or had a little chuckle to yourself as I did reading the examples given of sarcasm, that maybe the definition has changed? Nowhere did I get the sense of insult. But I guess one would have to see the brighter side of things or have a good positive outlook on silly little things that happen to us. aka sense of humor.

Maybe in modern day society, sarcasm IS in fact a way to make the other person feel BETTER about what had just happened to them? Theres a LOT more to our language than what is just written in websters or freedictionary.com...

As for emoticons... excessive use IS irritating to get the emotions across to the person you're talking to...but, that is why we have punctuation! <- exclamation mark...means I am happy or smiling about what I have said...

( :) )

It's good to be humorous, positive and to think;) I however feel people don't think enough. I don't think definitions change, at least that of sarcasm hasn't from all I've read, all the meanings seem to be the same or

Often referred to as the 'lowest form of wit', sarcasm is sometimes confused with irony. Sarcasm involves a composer (most commonly a speaker) saying something that is the opposite of what they really mean. The important difference between the two is that sarcasm is correctly defined as being humorous and deliberately mocking or insulting the object or person towards whom it is directed. Sarcasm is most commonly used in spoken texts. In written texts, sarcasm can be expressed like this:

'Yeah RIGHT! Like THAT'S going to happen'.

or, more formally, or on a word processor,

'Yeah right! Like that's going to happen'.

similar to the one above. But like a lot of things we can make it what we want, which really has nothing to do with being positive or negative.

Another example of sarcasm- you sing to me and ask me if I thought you sang well and I reply sure you made my ears bleed-would that make you feel better?

As far as exclamation points I was always taught that when using one you were making a strong point, or it could be used as shouting or hollering in print. As far as emoticons when I joined cerb I was informed it best to use them when making posts as many will misinterpret things without them. Perhaps for them to be less irritating you just have to be in a happy, positive mood or have a sense of humor:)But what do I know;)

Edited by cr**tyc***es

Guest **cely***r***ne
I'll politely disagree...to a point. :)

Punctuation does little for conveying emotion. Your exclamation mark above could have been conveying frustration, anger, excitement, desperation, and so on. Unless I know the person's writing style well, it could mean just about anything.

Yes writing styles do differ, and I will agree with you on that. I guess "In the eyes of the beholder" might work here. I always look at an exclamation mark as a positive ending to a sentence.

English is a very diverse language..

Often referred to as the 'lowest form of wit',

You missed the whole quote,

"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but the highest form of intelligence" - Oscar Wilde

^^ I agree with that guy ;)

Kim

• Like 7