whats up with my neighbours?

what's up with my neighbours ... that they think it's ok to let their entire brood of offspring sneak down the side of my house and play on my dock???

I live on a nice river and unfortunately the houses across the street aren't on the water. But three houses down (and right across from the neighbours in question) is a public beach!

Last year they hauled my $300 inflatable party island from it's moorings, put it in the water, played on it all day ... and then left it there! They didn't even put it back where they found it! I was lucky it wasn't stolen, but it was freaking filthy when I found it there.

They sneak between myself and my other waterfront neighbours homes as there is no fence ... and I know he's had enough of this too. I told the kids again today that they weren't welcome, that if someone got hurt I'd be liable, and that's why there's a public beach. But wtf is with the parents??

Like seriously? In what world is this normal?

Guest S*rca****sid

How old are the kids? I doubt the parents will be much help, they don't seem like responsible parents. If you say anything, they will only look negatively towards you. If they are taking your property without your consent, that is a legal matter.

And if that doesn't work, get a fence put up to stop them from cutting through your property. I'm not a lawyer by any stretch of the imagination, but growing up, our house was on a corner, and people cut through both our yard and our neighbour's yard to get to a greenbelt behind our house.

Dad wanted to put a fence put up, but because people had used the property for so long to cut through to the greenbelt they had (in spite of it being private property) a right of way. The fence, shared cost between the neighbours and dad had a fenced off portion for right of way

I would suggest go talk to a lawyer and get a fence put up. And your neighbours may feel the same way and you can all share the cost of a fence for all your places. And maybe add some razor concertina wire on top of the fence (just kidding)...good enough for maximum and medium security prisons LOL

Good Luck

RG

• Like 1

Clearly not their parents! I suggest blaming the education system and voting in Tim Hudak. He wouldn't stand for this bullshit!!

• Like 2

what's up with my neighbours ... that they think it's ok to let their entire brood of offspring sneak down the side of my house and play on my dock???

I live on a nice river and unfortunately the houses across the street aren't on the water. But three houses down (and right across from the neighbours in question) is a public beach!

Last year they hauled my $300 inflatable party island from it's moorings, put it in the water, played on it all day ... and then left it there! They didn't even put it back where they found it! I was lucky it wasn't stolen, but it was freaking filthy when I found it there.

They sneak between myself and my other waterfront neighbours homes as there is no fence ... and I know he's had enough of this too. I told the kids again today that they weren't welcome, that if someone got hurt I'd be liable, and that's why there's a public beach. But wtf is with the parents??

Like seriously? In what world is this normal?

Sorry can't help myself..... who here has not wanted to play on your dock. :)

• Like 1

Guest **sh****he***ac***th

Okay. I'm putting my camping gear in my pickup truck and am on my way so no worries!

I'd be totally pissed like you. Easy to go overboard. I've got a similar problem with annoyance trespass & pilferage. Almost like a game of cat & mouse here.

Consult with a lawyer. If applicable, draft a notarized letter advising the parents of potential liabilities such as reparations for property damage, trespassing, surveillance etc & send it registered mail.

Install surveillance devices to track trespassing patterns. Install signage & advise police of your problems. The parents sound like real morons.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I'd be pissed too. My old house had no water access, but a neighbour across the road did, so I cleared occasional access to the water with him before I'd do it.

He had a similar occurrence with another neighbour....2 kids showing up on his beach, no parental supervision, playing/etc....ended up with surveys and lawyers and registered letters.

Hope it doesn't come to that for you.

MS

• Like 1

I drove out of my driveway afterwards to run some errands and the two kids (aged between 9-12) are on their front yard waving goodbye to me. So I drove around the block and came back. They were walking across the street. When they saw me coming they pretended they were just walking down the road.

This morning I wake up and their two cats are sleeping on my upholstered patio furniture on my deck.

So I think today I will just walk into their house, crack open a beer, put my feet up and start changing TV channels. Think they will get the hint??

LoL

on a serious note ... I have drafted a letter and I think I will try that route first. It's polite and simply explains the liability issue and that the quiet, private enjoyment of my own yard is being compromised. I've also got a live trap for the cats, which I will return to them when caught. Once. After that they can pick them up at the humane society.

I feel like super bitch. But I've had enough.

• Like 2

There is a serious safety issue here and might suggest speaking with the local authorities. There could be some liability problems here if someone lost their life and you knew what they had been doing. Perhaps something as simple as no trespassing signs which could address the liability issue.

• Like 1

Guest S*rca****sid
I drove out of my driveway afterwards to run some errands and the two kids (aged between 9-12) are on their front yard waving goodbye to me. So I drove around the block and came back. They were walking across the street. When they saw me coming they pretended they were just walking down the road.

This morning I wake up and their two cats are sleeping on my upholstered patio furniture on my deck.

So I think today I will just walk into their house, crack open a beer, put my feet up and start changing TV channels. Think they will get the hint??

LoL

on a serious note ... I have drafted a letter and I think I will try that route first. It's polite and simply explains the liability issue and that the quiet, private enjoyment of my own yard is being compromised. I've also got a live trap for the cats, which I will return to them when caught. Once. After that they can pick them up at the humane society.

I feel like super bitch. But I've had enough.

Maybe you should post a "NO Trespassing" Sign. You can find them at any hardware store. That way if it does become a legal matter, you can show that people are clearly warned.

A registered letter is suggested...that way you have confirmation by a third party that they have received it.

Re the children:

I think the potential liability kind of forces you to take some level of officially recorded action. It's depressing how often people's selfishness puts others in this position. I'd think that it's almost inevitable that this family will see you as the bad guy but, because of the safety issues, you probably don't have a choice (aside from the fact that you shouldn't have to deal with uninvited people on your private property).

Re the cats:

I'll say first that I like cats. I would never wish them harm. That said, I do not believe they should be allowed to roam freely outside. Recent studies estimate that, in the US alone, outdoor cats kill between 1.3 billion and 4 billion birds (and far more small mammals) every year. The old estimate was merely hundreds of millions of birds. Google "outdoor cats birds". With house cats, as opposed to strays, these are not kill-to-survive situations; their prey are play toys and they are generally killed in cruel manner. Outdoor house cats are not a natural part of our ecosystem.

Years ago, my family kept a super-soaker by the back door because our neighbour's cats would stalk our bird feeders. We witnessed multiple kills before buying the squirt gun (after trying to talk with our unconcerned neighbours). Because we attempted to talk with them first, it chilled our relationship.

Also, outdoor cats are frequent disease carriers. The American Humane Society has a good page on indoor vs. outdoor cats.

Good luck dealing with the fallout of your neighbours' selfishness. You should not be in the position of having to deal with this.

-M

If you see a hot 20 something tanning on your dock dont fret its me come join me hehehe ;)

no but really thats crazy, when I was younger we had a cottage one time we went there were people camping in tents and everything right on our lawn lmao!

some people have no sense.

• Like 1

Maybe you should post a "NO Trespassing" Sign. You can find them at any hardware store. That way if it does become a legal matter, you can show that people are clearly warned.

Also maybe a 'no lifeguard' or 'private property', etc.

thanks to everyone for their input and sympathy!

Signs went up last year ... damn things disappeared. I can't imagine where they went LoL but I did get some more.

I have delivered a letter and I anticipate their full cooperation. Will keep you posted!

RG: Can I rent that dog? See you on the dock Kay! :)

Don't bother getting a no trespassing sign, it would only get stolen like a friend of mine. I'm all for going over and all camouflage like set up traps both for the cats (i have one coming to my yard and leaving surprises) and the kiddies. Nothing to hurt them of course (:icon_wink: ) and phone the cops to come and get them. Let the parents pay the fine to get them out.

• Like 1

They sneak between myself and my other waterfront neighbours homes as there is no fence ... and I know he's had enough of this too.

Bear traps. They'll fix the problem soon enough.

• Like 1

My new house has 210 feet of waterfront. My neighbour recently installed a set of security cameras, including one that watches their waterfront.

I think I will go down that road this summer as well.

MS