Have you watched any good movies lately?

The Sessions (originally titled The Surrogate) is a 2012 American independent drama film written and directed by Ben Lewin. It is based on the article "On Seeing a Sex Surrogate" by Mark O'Brien, a poet paralyzed from the neck down due to polio, who hired a sex surrogate to lose his virginity. John Hawkes and Helen Hunt star as O'Brien and sex surrogate Cheryl Cohen-Greene, respectively.

The_Sessions_-_Custom_-_Bluray.jpg

For all those pervs out there -- yes you get to see Helen Hunt fully nude. But I hope you watch it for the story.

Midnight In Paris (Woody Allen film) starring Owen Wilson

Not a big fan of Owen Wilson, but all the acting was superb.

Right now watching The Blue Max (1966 movie starring George Peppard and Ursula Andress)

Recorded it the other night on my PVR

RG

I saw We're the Millers the other night and was surprised how much i enjoyed it. I also watched The Family (with Deniro and Pfeiffer) and that was also good, altho a lot more violent images than probably necessary for even a black comedy.

I saw Upside Down as well and it seemed really choppy, like it had missing bits for better continuity? It reminded me of The Fountain, but better, since there was an actual story, and it was a sweet story.

I watched Edge of Tomorrow in 3D, with Tom Cruise.

A lot of action and special effects. It's a bit like Ground Hog day in plot. but Science fiction.

Worth seeing.

• Like 1

Thanks to the lull in summer programming, I'm able to catch up on some new releases. Last night featured Non-Stop staring Liam Neeson and Julianne Moore. Good close quarters fight sequences, twisty plot with a few surprises. Over all, not too bad. It reminded me of the Airport disaster flics of the 70's. It's worth a look if you can park your brain for a couple of hours, cause if you think about the plot, the entire premise falls apart.

I avoided this movie because I have been a serious Tintin fan since childhood.

I have the box set of the original books, a cabinet full of Tintin memorabilia etc. So I was expecting the worst.

Often movie characters don't appear the way you imagine them. The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings movies are a good example. A large fan base with very specific ideas...there was no way Jackson could please them.

The movie was surprisingly satisfying. Tintin was good, his apartment was beautifully rendered. Haddock was good too, this story is his first appearance, so we see the two meet. There is a cameo of Spielberg but I haven't seen Jackson yet, and I know he likes his cameos LOL. The movie also captured the wild action the Herge often drew, and the sense of exotic far off places, the same sense Jackson portrayed in King Kong.

Overall the film was good for a casual watcher. Tintin is definitely an acquired taste and the animation might throw off a lot of people.

For a serious Tintin-ophile it very good to excellent.

Prisoners is a 2013 American thriller film directed by Denis Villeneuve. The film has an ensemble cast including Hugh Jackman, Jake Gyllenhaal, Viola Davis, Maria Bello, Terrence Howard, Melissa Leo, and Paul Dano.[3] The plot focuses on the abduction of two young girls in Pennsylvania and the subsequent search for them.

prisoners-poster.jpg

• Like 1

Got really lucky out here last night. The PBS station out of Tacoma Wa had a double bill (and better yet, no pledge drive).

The first one was Cool Hand Luke (sweatiest movie ever according to an old Cheers episode, lol). Loved Paul Newman in that.

Followed up with Rocky II (not as good as the first but enjoyable on a quiet Saturday night.)

Speaking of prison break movies, love Shawshank Redemption and would really love to see Papillon again sometime soon. (big time Steve McQueen fan here)

Additional Comments:

Another one I have on DVD is the remake of True Grit with Jeff Bridges. I actually like it better than the original. The Duke was great, of course but he was the only thing that made the original watchable, imo. Didn't like Kim Darby at all and Glen Campbell was god-awful as the Texas ranger(Matt Damon was much better)

A Million Ways to Die in the West. Some folks I know criticized it but I found it absolutely side splitting hilarious!

Better than 22 Jump Street that I "wasted" my money on last week (The Grand Seduction was sold out for two shows in St. John's).

Guest M****ella's C****s (retire

I saw Jersey Boys, great movie. Love that era and the music it brought so it was a treat. A couple weeks before that I saw The Grand Seduction. They were both movies I really enjoyed.

Tomorrow night I'll be seeing A million ways to die in the west. If my plans pan out. Looking forward to watching a silly movie I can just laugh at. :)