Best VPN?

I've been using ExpressVPN for about two years now. I signed up after my first warning letter, figuring I don't need the potential stress that might eventually come along. I'd downloaded a metric crapton of stuff since, and haven't had any letters or problems. I haven't tried to circumvent Netflix with it (i.e. Convince them I'm an American to view American content) so can't comment there. Cost is about $13 a month. It automatically boots up when I turn the computer on (I selected that option). I haven't noticed any particular slowing of DL speeds using it. It's a pretty idiot-friendly set up. Supposedly, they have good customer service if needed, but I've never had to try. There has been about three times where it wanted me to re-activate using my code, so I had to dig up the email and cut/paste, a three minute annoyance but that's about it. You can use the account on multiple computers, so long as both aren't attempting to use the VPN at the same time.

Probably more than you needed to know :)

• Like 1

I have been using ExpressVPN for about a year. You might want to take a look at vpn4kodi.com for a comprehensive listing.

• Like 1

I also use Express VPN and have no issues, customer service is excellent as is there Help page.

Signed up for a year which reduce the cost and will be renewing pretty soon.

I have it configured on my Linksys router which automatically protects all of my devices PC and Android devices without having to sign in all the time or in case that would forget.

Able to access Netflix US with no issues.

• Like 1

I'm not in a position to recommend any particular VPN (I use TOR for anonymity when I want it). There's plenty of reviews out there. A couple of things you may want to look at, depending on what you want the VPN for:

Exit nodes: where are they? Is it easy to move to another exit node in another country when you're working around geographic content restrictions?

Logging: what does the VPN service log? Do they log traffic? Sites visited? If they do log things, how long do they keep the logs for?

Speed: do they guarantee a certain level of service?

Remember (one of) the golden rule of the Internet: if you aren't paying for it, then you're the product being sold. Free VPNs are often slow and will collect traffic data to sell on to third parties.

• Like 1

I downloaded Hexatech today after my internet provider blocked the servers on Showbox that I was using to stream. They blocked it on March 1st and only today after looking for a fix was I made aware of VPNs. Hexatech is free and has worked so far, although I now can't stream to my Xbox One from my tablet because they must be connected to the same network for that to happen.

After what I've just read about free VPNs, is there a recommendation for an affordable VPN that is good for streaming?

Also, do any techies know of a fix for streaming from my tablet to my Xbox One while using a VPN?

Thanx

Phaedrus is right, there's an infinity of applications to VPNs and every one of them will offer you a different mix /quality of services. Let's take the SP exemple where there's no "best" or "one size fit all".

If your goal is to listen to US Netflix, then expressVPN is a sure bet with their high throughput (easily reach 50 mbits on udp)

If you want anonimity, there's a lot of choice. Tor project is an easy, ready to use solution. As is, it is not very hard to trace you back though. You can use various tunneling systems to be anonymous, for instance tunnelbear can become very powerful with a few randomization scripts.

@Caterina a VPN is a Virtual Private Network, most tunneling service isolate every devices on a different network for security purpose and preventing other devices to collect data. Your best bet is to set up the VPN directly a the exit point of your network (your pubicly facing router most probably) this way your internal network stays untouched and all your devices will benefit from the VPN.

• Like 1

Tor is probably the best but its slow because it involves whats called "Onion Routing" as it keeps rerouting to a new IP.

VPNs are only good for end-end communication between a client and a dedicated server for that network. Outside of that network nothing is secure.

For example I could connect to nordVPN and anything I access between nordVPN and me is secure via a tunnel.

But if the nordVPN server makes requests for me on my behalf anything it requests outside of the secure end-end connection between me and the server can be viewed. So really all a VPN is doing is just adding 1 more layer. Your packets can still be viewed but it will pick up the nordVPNs server IP not yours.

In all honesty VPNs are dying, virtualization is probably the secure way to go now as you can keep spawning new IPs and MAC address. Or create an almost infinite number of subnetworks within a network.

• Like 2

Yes, VPN shouldn't be use for "data security".

Here's what a VPN is used for:

1. Making the process of tracing you less straightforward.

2. Trying to make a service believe that you're from a different area.

3. Creating an encrypted tunnel between you and the exit node (like xBen explained ; if you log into your email or use services, the packets can still be intercepted between the service and the exit node).

@xBen, virtualization is promising. I can't wait for the CPU manufacturers to start delivering a product that prevent people from taking a "negative" of the CPU state. Then we will be able to cram so many appliances on the same machine :)

• Like 1

No.1 CyberGhost

An easy to use VPN that allows up to 5 simultaneous connections (Read more: CyberGhost VPN Review)

No.2 Express VPN

A super fast VPN that is happy to quote for volume licenses .(Read more: ExpressVPN-review/">ExpressVPN Review)

No.3 Buffered

This VPN offers up to 5 simultaneous connections and great customer support .(Read more: Buffered VPN Review)

No.4 PrivateVPN

An affordable VPN that also allows up to 6 connections at once.

No.5 Vypr VPN

This VPN offers great features and has two packages for businesses to pick from. (Read more: Vypr VPN Review)

No.6 Pure VPN

Pure VPN review showed that the service remains one of the favorite choices for business companies and it provides three different packages to all the business corporations to choose from. (Read more: Pure VPN Review)

No.7 CactusVPN

Surf total anonymously online and easy to set up. (Read more: CactusVPN Review)

No.8 Nord VPN

Servers in 62 countries and enjoy the fastest VPN experience and best connectivity on any device, at any place and any time. (Read more: NordVPN-review/">Nord VPN Review)

No.9 Safer VPN

A good choice for business because of secure, private and unrestricted Internet access.(Read more: Safer VPN Review)

No.10 TrustZone

Safest for businesses and prevent ISP from tracking your online activity.(Read more: TrustZone VPN Review)

I use IP Vanish, great for streaming content world wide, paid service is $5 a month. I use it for Kodi, Netflix USA and downloading tons of fun stuff, wink wink. You can choose auto search for best server in any state or country or choose yourself. You need to create a account so use your favorite cloud email or course, once in you can view which servers are being overloaded to avoid.

Good luck.

Rub.

I use NordVPN, has a good rep and found it very cheap as I paid for three years $2.99 a month. 

On 5/1/2019 at 10:37 AM, zoneman said:

I've been thinking of using Private Internet Access (https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/) and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it?

Yes. A bunch of us picked this up. We got one account which allows 10 licenses for a number of years. We split the account amongst us and all manage to have 2 or 3 devices covered. It was  pretty cheap, a great provider, and simple to use.

I too would recommend Express VPN as the best. I have been using it since 3 years and it really works well. They have loads of VPN sites that you could connect to all over the world. I never had to use the customer support yet, but the only downside is that it keeps dropping sometimes and at times it is frustrating trying to connect again and again.

I do not recommend Nord VPN since they had a security incident a few months back and they screwed up the privacy and reputation.

• Like 1

I agree with Private Internet Access.

I occasionally have issues where it connects, but I have no internet, but I'm sure that's my PC heh

I definitely recommend seeking a VPN which has a clear policy on logs, whilst some claim big bold print that they respect users privacy, quite a few still keep logs, whereas VPN's like PIA, do not.

I have been using PureVpn. The customer service has been very reliable and prices are fair. I have been having issues on my iPhone recently but they guided me thru to fixing it promptly. 

• Thanks 1

I've used ExpressVPN, NordVPN and currently SurfShark.

They are all great. Never had any speed or connection issues.

ExpressVPN never given me issues.

NordVPN, same no issues but they seem to have a lot more servers.

Currently on SurfShark, only 1 month and a half in. Not as many servers but speed and connection so far no issues.

I've been switching because every year or two one of them will go crazy and have multiple youtube affiliates and give out discount codes.

I use NordVPN and its amazing. Never once had an issue and I've been using them a long time. @asuran is right it has a LOT of servers all over the world so if u want access to something not available here (often happens with youtube) or if you want a news stream or see whats trending in another country, its great. The discount codes you get from youtube are amazing. If u sign up for 3 years it ends up being less than 3$ a month!  No they dont sponsor me.lol  Im just an extremely happy customer. Oh and it works for up to 6 devices which is invaluable for people like me with more than one cell phone and more that 1 homes. 

I also use NordVPN and like it.  Occasionally I come across a website that won't load if it detects a VPN.  When that happens I select the option to disconnect or pause for a specified period of time and then the VPN re-connects.

IPVanish has been good to me. Somehow when you renew they charge you more money which I think it's silly. As a new account the price is reasonable though.

On 3/19/2020 at 12:29 PM, maltego7 said:

I too would recommend Express VPN as the best. I have been using it since 3 years and it really works well. They have loads of VPN sites that you could connect to all over the world. I never had to use the customer support yet, but the only downside is that it keeps dropping sometimes and at times it is frustrating trying to connect again and again.

I do not recommend Nord VPN since they had a security incident a few months back and they screwed up the privacy and reputation.

+1 for ExpressVPN, PureVPN is a solid choice as well. And I guess you could call Nord a "security incident" but it was in no way an accident. They harvested all users traffic logs and were selling them to god knows who. How anyone can ever trust them for security is beyond me. If you're really worried you can do VPN -> Tor in that order and your ISP doesn't know you're using TOR or what's coming out the exit node and if the VPN company is keeping logs neither do they and you won't be getting that hard knock at the door.

Another good choice is Sandboxie, or use windows built in sandbox if you trust them.

Been using PIA VPN - PrivateInternetAccess for close to 8 years now.  Have tried others like ExpressVPN and NordVPN, but I keep going back to PIA VPN for the ease of use, and reliability.  

Their app from the last two years has a built-in kill switch, where if the VPN drops, it'll cut off internet to your device.  Great feature so you don't leak any data over public internet.

My other go to that I use in unison with PIA VPN is Brave Browser (like Google Chrome, without all the Google bits). I set my browsing history/cache/cookies to delete when I quit the app.  This way my browser is clean every time I open it up and don't have to worry about cached content.

I honestly never seen the need for that type of service. I understand the purpose, but so far been able to do without.

I'm also a bit annoyed with deceptive marketing selling those as some kind of firewall for complete anonymity. It doesn't work that way and doesn't protect you from getting exposed or prosecuted for questionable activities.

Worth it If want access to region locked content. But for online security, staying away from questionable websites and shady businesses will minimize potential problems.

6 VPN myths busted - here's the truth | TechRadar

7 minutes ago, clearbluesky15 said:

Fair... and nothing makes you 'completely' anonymous... its an arms race... I deploy things that obscure, others deploy technology to look.

Again, it all depends on applications.

It only takes the signature from a judge to expose people behind illegal activities.

NordVPN: Actually, We Do Comply With Law Enforcement Data Requests | PCMag