How legal are websites likeLeolist?

Regardless the country where leolist is hosted (or the company behind it). How legal are these kind of websites in Canada?

Completely legal I believe. Since 2014 sex work was legal to sell and illegal to buy. So only us as the consumer really has to worry. The website itself should be completely legal as well as the services offered.

• Like 3

thanks, do you happen to know the name of the law, so i can read it.

Its ball bill c-36 . Its the nordic/swedish approach which make it legal for me to sell but illegal for you to buy. However as far as I am aware no one got arrested since the beginning of this law (except the obvious pimping, underage )

• Like 1

I may be in a mood but....you are looking at it so if you have access what does it matter? The owners of said website would be liable not you!

Additional Comments:

I may be in a mood but....you are looking at it so if you have access what does it matter? The owners of said website would be liable not you!

I think on the whole probably quite legal. But I think if an owner of a web site knowingly were to post ads for under age or trafficked ladies, he might experience some blow back from the law. Maybe not under C36, but I'm pretty sure there is a statute that might be employed against him.

It was Bill C-36 while it went through Parliament, and a lot of people still call it that. Now that it's law it revels in the glorious name of the Protection of Communities and Exploited Persons Act (S.C. 2014, c. 25).

• Like 1

It was Bill C-36 while it went through Parliament, and a lot of people still call it that. Now that it's law it revels in the glorious name of the Protection of Communities and Exploited Persons Act (S.C. 2014, c. 25).

True, but thankfully being challenged next January. (Apparently the London agency case will be heard in another court in a larger city).

Law C-36 states that it is okay for independent ladies to advertise, but it is NOT okay for anyone to host those ads. That was one of the Catch 22's of Harper gov't new laws. One that made no sense. But essentially, an independent lady can advertise, but if she is too explicit then she brings attention to website enough to warrant investigation of that website, that website faces being taken down.

The new US laws say that a website is liable and will be seized if they allow to be advertised services of a sexual nature. That is retroactive so even if in the past they allowed those ads, they can still be seized.

Basically C-36 has been "Trumped" by the new US laws so actually whatever is going on there is the way it has to be here. If you are a SP and you blatantly advertise it, then anyplace you go on the internet can lead back to where you talked about/advertised your service. Then if the US law finds/reaches you, you are then responsible for letting the cat out of the bag and the people who host your content (speech/ads/pics) can be held liable and seized.

No one is allowed to advertise sexual services anywhere. Plain and simple. And offering services is not allowed either. It is the responsibility of all those involved to see what their actions/words can be perceived as and to prevent being the reason platforms can disappear and be taken away.

• Like 2

Law C-36 states that it is okay for independent ladies to advertise, but it is NOT okay for anyone to host those ads.

...which is why sexual services aren't allowed to be specified in ads here, for anyone who was wondering :)

The new US laws say that a website is liable and will be seized if they allow to be advertised services of a sexual nature. That is retroactive so even if in the past they allowed those ads, they can still be seized.

Basically C-36 has been "Trumped" by the new US laws so actually whatever is going on there is the way it has to be here.

Not really. Canadian laws apply in Canada, US laws apply in the US, and which apply to any given website depends on where the domain is registered, where it's hosted and who runs it - and all three of those may be in different countries.

• Like 1

To me, no matter which country you host your site, you still have to watch the wording, not be explicit. Hosting sites often have Terms and Conditions that discourage advertising of a sexual nature.

Edited by Vicky Lopez
This is more what I wanted to say, not re advertising in Canada.
  • Like 1

Canadian laws apply in Canada, US laws apply in the US, and which apply to any given website depends on where the domain is registered, where it's hosted and who runs it - and all three of those may be in different countries.

So therefore, US laws DO affect us! Why do you think the new law left SW around the world scrambling? The US laws do affect us and others. That is why sites have changed locations, ads are sanitary, so hosting websites don't get taken down.

I know. I've done my research babe. After all, it has affected me so I better know what I'm doing to stay afloat

On 7/3/2018 at 9:06 PM, TorontoMelanieJolliet said:

So therefore, US laws DO affect us! Why do you think the new law left SW around the world scrambling? The US laws do affect us and others. That is why sites have changed locations, ads are sanitary, so hosting websites don't get taken down.

I know. I've done my research babe. After all, it has affected me so I better know what I'm doing to stay afloat

Actually, the law passed gives the US right to press charges internationally. 

I don't know how that works, because the other country could have different laws, like Canada. But that was put in that bill, that they can arrest internationally.

Many places just closed up shop out of fear that they could be prosecuted even outside of the US. 

• Thanks 1